The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2005, 07:16 PM   #1
69-350
Oil trash and damn proud of it

New guy on the block...

Howdy everybody. I'm new to this site, I discovered it when a buddy of mine posted a question when we were trying to get my new '69 runnin, and when I saw this place, and how quick and useful some helpful responses were, I figured what the hey? why not join, eh? So here I am, new to these boards, with a new 1969 Chevrolet C-10 pickup (a beaut, an old farm truck, and a current project truck)

So I guess a little about me. I live in Williston, North Dakota, a little city of about 13,000 people, a lot of us are rednecks, and it's a nice place to live, being the town's not too big, but not too small, and there's about four or five parts stores (one of which is only about two miles from where I live ) and overall the town ain't bad. Me, though, I'm 16, almost 17, Jr. in high school, just started school (got an Autotech class, ) and just bought my third (of four) vehicles, which was a 1969 C-10, with a 350 on the original 6-cyl's 4 speed.

My first vehicle was a little dinky 2WD 4-banger Nissan pickup, took me about a week to blow the motor in that thing and my second vehicle (which I still have) is a 1991 Chevy S-10 Blazer, my nice little top-runnin mud romper, which gets around amazingly and has stood up amazingly, considering all the mud and hardships I have driven it through before (I've had and ran it hard for a year, and the only casualties have been a balljoint, alternator, starter, heater core, back window, and not a whole lot else) Now my third vehicle was, like I said, my nice old 1969 C-10. I've always love the 67-72 Chevy trucks, and when a 69 in fairly good original shape came up, for only 500 bucks, I jumped at the chance to own it. And she came home last Sunday night, after which I've been working a little bit on. My fourth vehicle was given to me by my brother who just moved, and is a 1984 Caprice Classic, in good shape except the tranny doesn't shift into 3rd or Overdrive.

Anyways, you all probably are like "to hell with you and your stuff, tell us about that 69!!" and well, couldn't blame ya. Onto that ole' red beast. She originally started as a farmtruck, I believe, with the inline-6. Well, the old farmer I think sold it to some kid a few years ago, who threw a rod in the L6, and dropped a 350 in there, supposedly rebuilt it. The exhaust is real lovable... about the only thing the same on either side of the exhaust are the flowmasters, which go into about a foot or so of pipe, and one side goes into a 12" glass pack (the other into a 15" glasspack, or something like that) and the shorter one goes into a nice exhaust pipe that curves out, about 2ft long or less, maybe (the other side comes out a straight pipe about 12-24" long, also)

But that'll be fixed up when I run into more money. Currently, she needs the idling changed so it'll idle on it's own and there's exhaust coming out some holes on the top of the intake manifold (old emissions thing that's now missing??) and so I'll probably have to adjust the timing or figure out why those valves are sticking (correct?) in addition to the radiator getting fixed.

So, all in all, my nice new 69 is a little project, not too bad. Floorboards rusty, rockers are barely eaten through, cab corners are trash, and under the battery is a little gone, very little rust beyond the very usual stuff, I guess. Not a bad little project for this new mechanical teenager to get his hands into, I would say. So anybody who's gotten to this point in reading so far (Sorry if I have hurt your eyes with so much reading, or bored you to death) I guess thanks for listening to my 2-cents of a story, and I guess thanks to anybody who right off the bat could tell me whats up with that goofy intake thing, and the exhaust coming out of it. Oh, and no I don't have any pictures of the 69 yet, but as soon as I get ahold of a bud's digital camera, I'll snap a whole bunch for yall to enjoy and oggle at (probably thinking of stuff I could do) Now I dunno what I have planned ultimately for the truck, but for sure it's not going to get lowered any, and I would like to drop it on a 4WD chassis, and convert the thing to 4WD, which would be ultimately cool for up here. But finally, you readers have reached the end of a very long greeting from this new guy. Thanks, and hello, y'all.
69-350 is offline   Reply With Quote