The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #1
truckster

Politics! Grrrr

The more I read the news, the more grateful I am to Josh and the board admins that they keep politics off this site. It seems we've lost the ability to have respectful discussion and disagreement in our society.

I'm glad we have this hobby (or obsession) to bring us together.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:34 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Politics! Grrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
The more I read the news, the more grateful I am to Josh and the board admins that they keep politics off this site. It seems we've lost the ability to have respectful discussion and disagreement in our society.

I'm glad we have this hobby (or obsession) to bring us together.
Pff. Chevy! Ford! Dodge! Yes, I for one am glad that I can find a few places on the internet where the eternal bashing of political "opposites" can have a cease-fire. I also am a member of a Buick forum, and the threads that get into politics usually don't last long. There don't seem to be many places where rational discussion of politics is possible.

Now, all you Democrats line up over there on the left side of the room, and all you Republicans line up on the other side!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Old 10-09-2018, 06:31 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Here and everywhere what I say and the way I feel is none of the Capitol Hill elite is worth us "little people"* squabbling among ourselves over. It's not like we are their priority. I hope this isn't taken as political. Just a neutral and general statement I use a lot in my face to face conversation when the polarized talk begins whether right or left. Just is not worth the effort to spit words out over any of them or the filtered news we are handed. I too am glad we just don't go there.

*That is what a friend, and old boss, who was slated for a political career but went into home building told me they refer to us as. He was too real for that scene. A very good man. Salt of the Earth.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 10-09-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #4
Low Elco

All this division is exactly what they want. The sheep are easier to manage that way. It saddens me so few are able to see it. I personally hate them all, and refuse any part in it. I greatly appreciate this board keeping free of it.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #5
Coley

Even as a Canadian (ie: somewhat different politics, but...lol) its something I pay very close attention to...both here at home and abroad, including overseas.
As they say..'May you live in interesting times'....and that we do for sure.

I joined a boating forum about 10 years ago and it was a terrible place for that kind of rhetoric...and their mods finally shut it down, which was a good thing.
You could see that the arguing on the discussion page had infected the technical pages.

This site continues to be a very good, informative place to stop in, hang out and hopefully help others...I'm glad to be a member.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 10-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #6
Bigdav160

There are two forums that I participate in that allow political discussions but no personal attacks.

The discussions can be heated but the members are pretty mature so the debates are lively without being too ugly.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Old 10-09-2018, 10:19 PM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
There are two forums that I participate in that allow political discussions but no personal attacks.

The discussions can be heated but the members are pretty mature so the debates are lively without being too ugly.
I'd sure like to know which they are, because most places just go for the jugular in something like 3 posts. Crazy. What ever happened to having a reasonable (if even a little heated) discussion, without someone threatening bodily harm? Most of the threats of bodily harm are probably from pencil-armed 14 year olds in their parent's basement, but still, a little moderation is a good thing.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Old 10-09-2018, 10:34 PM   #8
Shorty Cox

My grandfather said, "Never talk politics, sex, or religion with your friends or relatives." Advice I try follow.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:28 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I barely use Facebook, but this polarized puppy poop runs rampant there. I don't see squabbling (well, a little), I see my friends on the right and friends on the left posting their nasty crap about the other side, making excuses born of denial about their political favorite(s), or pre-fab memes supporting their views, and all their friends posting their yep yeps and uh huhs which only fuels the anger. This ain't no rival school football game, this is supposed to be an all star game where members of both teams work together for a common goal on the behalf of all they represent. These people think their social media is having some big effect on the world when it is only boosting their clique's misguided isolationism. If a friend keeps posting the counter view they unfriend them. Nothing about it is very American the way I see it. I see a big wall with people on both sides blindly tossing rocks over it never hitting those they can't see. If I ever step into it, it is to jump up on that wall and holler at both sides to wake up and take a look at themselves. We have an amazing document written in 1776 that is the foundation of what made America great. Stick to that and we'll do just fine.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 10-10-2018, 08:58 AM   #10
Bigdav160

The 1776 document is the main point of contention. There are great forces at work looking to undue constitutional governments.

If you ever have 4 hours to burn the documentary about Edward Bernays - Century of Self is worth a watch. His techniques for propaganda are in full use today.

All sides of the political spectrum are being manipulated. Knowing this I find it easier to find the truth.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Old 10-10-2018, 01:01 PM   #11
truckster

The Declaration of Independence was written in 1776. While it lays out the principles of self-government and natural rights, it didn't set up any type of government.

The Constitution of the United States was written in 1787 and laid out a government that was limited in its scope and authority.

I have the privilege of teaching high school students about both documents. In both cases we examine the original construction and meaning, and I encourage them to examine the workings of our government to determine for themselves whether we're living up to those principles.

I accept all of their opinions, but I expect them to explain their reasoning as well. I allow them to disagree with me or with each other, but never to be disagreeable.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:15 AM   #12
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I do stand up comedy and avoid political or religious jokes like the plague. You instantly lose half the room. And my jokes are bad enough to do that on their own.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #13
abig84

I've drowned out all the face book idiots by adding all sorts of buy and sell chevy truck pages. It's amazing how some people can hate a person or group of people So muchyou have to post 6 posts a day every day for years on the matter. My aunt is one of the worst, most of the family has already deleted or blocked her.

The news is depressing I never watch it anymore
Old 10-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #14
Coley

Smile Re: Politics! Grrrr

I really enjoy intelligent, long form discussions and respectful debate.
As a result here is some advice that I found very interesting and helpful for myself when engaging in a conversation, discussion or debate about an often sensitive issue.
The author of this is a current academic ....very reasonable, fair and intelligent guy....check it out, very interesting stuff:

First/preface:

It is very rare that if you sit and discuss and debate with someone that you ever actually change their mind....or they change yours.
...which begs the question...so why do it to begin with?

Ok, so where to go from here?

..well before you discuss (or debate) anything...ask two questions and ask them of yourself first, then your 'opponent' or partner in the conversation:

From where do you get your opinions on this topic or your position?....noting that 99% of the time you weren't born with them.
ie:....your family?...your workplace?...your union?....your church or religious group?....your news station? (main stream media?)....your spouse?.....your social group? ....your education?.....or where?
Determine this or narrow it down.... and present it as honestly as you can prior to your discussion.

Then...second question:
What would it take for you to change your mind or move (a bit? a lot?) on your position?
ie:...more evidence? ....more data?....less data?....someone you respect changing their position?....
Now....determine or estimate this and present this as honestly as you can.

Make sure you ask this both of yourself and your opponent or discussion partner.

I find when I ask myself these questions on current or volatile topics and present this approach to those I am discussing with....the conversation goes way better, is much more interesting...and produces much better results.

So what do you think?

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 10-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #15
mikebte

I can agree, sometimes I will go out to the truck and work and spend the whole time cursing politics and it helps me easy my frustrations.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #16
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

with all this said, before we have any issues.. I am closing this post.

Thank you all for acting adult and having discussion not argument
Closed Thread