The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #1
Boog
laying low

Good fi cleaner

I’ve got the 06 Gmc with 5.3 engine with 185,000 miles on it. Runs good but i’m getting a rich idle code on right side. I’ve replaced the 02 sensor but still get the code. It goes and comes. Fuel pump was replaced 10,000 miles ago. I run a bottle of fi system cleaner through it and the code doesnt reappear for a month or so. I guess maybe it has a leaky injector or more. Who offers injector testing and cleaning services? Or is chevron with techron the best cleaner in a bottle you can use?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #2
mikebte

Re: Good fi cleaner

I have always run lucas injector cleaner and have not had any issues. But I try to put as little as possible in my 08 due to no fuel filter. May try pulling the plugs and making sure they are all good, the plugs last a long time if correct, but when they are done they are really done. Coils are also recommended to be replaced every 100K miles but I told the dealer last time I was in that they could run longer. At 140 now. You have me thinking maybe I should look into this.

LS injectors are also fairly cheap to replace, but it may be cheaper to clean. I have never had mine cleaned.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #3
sweetk30

have you checked for intake gasket/o-ring leaks ? the ls based engines are known for this a lot .

and DO NOT keep tossing parts at it with out a proper scanner read and diagnose of why its throwing a code . or you will be chasing your tail round and round .

lots of times its another part farther up thats not fully bad to set its own code yet that makes something down the line sense it and throw its code .

the price of new injectors for gas engines i would prob not bother with testing or reman of them . just get new and install if you find that one is leaking fuel past .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #4
Boog
laying low

[QUOTE I run a bottle of fi system cleaner through it and the code doesnt reappear for a month or so. [/QUOTE]

That doesn’t exactly sound like a vacuum leak to me. Thanks though.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:56 PM   #5
Husker

I have used BG 44k with good results. It pricey. This link is for reference only. Most auto supply stores carry it.
Ron
https://www.amazon.com/BG-Products-F...Y8NCGA36B4A3AP
Member #111
68 C-10 Daily Driver
70 4x4 Project
76 Jeep CJ-5

Help Support the Board:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
Thomas Jefferson
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:39 PM   #6
Boog
laying low

And at about $140 each for new injectors they aren't cheap.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/f...=Fuel+Injector

I believe I'll be using some more fuel system cleaners to try to straighten this thing out. Thanks fellas.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
sweetk30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post

I believe I'll be using some more fuel system cleaners to try to straighten this thing out. Thanks fellas.
ebay starting at 50ish a set of 8 and then going up from there . even lots of new take out sets .

rockauto starting at 15.00-78.00 each . cheepy to acdelco units . and there always posting 5-10% off promo codes on chat forums . heck that covers shipping most times .

ya got to shop around anymore buddy .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:27 AM   #8
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post

Ya, that’s my bad. I never use local auto parts stores. I got tired of over paying for the wrong part so my parts are all online.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:37 PM   #9
DieselSJ

First, understand what causes "rich" codes -

https://youtu.be/5WnM_NsOtd8

https://youtu.be/cARQ0jZZ4Qc

Then start looking at solutions.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #10
MIKESAD50

Dont think Fuel injector/System cleaner is gonna fix your isssue but I have been using Chevron Techron for nearly 30years in the service of vehicles. use the concentrate in the black bottle not the cheap silver bottle.
have seen Chevron fuel fix a number of strange running issues and strictly use Chevron fuel in all my vehicles and recommend to customers.
No I dont own any Chevron stock... gesss I should
Old 10-13-2018, 02:43 PM   #11
truckster

The Techron is the best I've ever used.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #12
mattfranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKESAD50 View Post
Dont think Fuel injector/System cleaner is gonna fix your isssue but I have been using Chevron Techron for nearly 30years in the service of vehicles. use the concentrate in the black bottle not the cheap silver bottle.
have seen Chevron fuel fix a number of strange running issues and strictly use Chevron fuel in all my vehicles and recommend to customers.
No I dont own any Chevron stock... gesss I should
Full transparency: I do own Chevron stock. But I've also done lots of tests with it. Yes "Concentrate" is the thing to get. It has a high dose of polyether amine. That's a fancy way of describing its designer molecule. One end of the molecule, the "amine" part (in the same chemical functional family as ammonia) is "polar" and is attracted to metal surfaces, deposits, and things that might form deposits. The other end is the "polyether" part that is wonderfully soluble in gasoline. So, the polar end attaches to stuff, and the tail is carried to and from anywhere gasoline splashes. So it cleans deposits and things that might form deposits and also protects metal surfaces from those deposits.

On top of that, the polyether part burns very cleanly so there is no residue left behind. In fact it removes deposits left behind by other lesser detergents.

There is also lots of "no harm" testing done with it on taxi fleets and so on. It cleans deposits and doesn't hurt other things. So it's strong but gentle.

Techron is the one that is consistently strong. Other brands pop up now and then, some are good, while others have nothing except a carrier oil and a little solvent. Some even change, depending on who is in charge of marketing a given year.

Many car companies also endorse Techron in one way or another. I used to keep a list and still probably have it somewhere.

Wow, I sound like a marketing guy! :-)

Try a bottle or two or three and run a couple of tanks of gas. If you use three then probably change your oil after that because trace amounts of any detergent wind up in the crank case and you don't want to disturb the additive package in the oil. One is no problem at all, but with three you might want to change it. If that doesn't take care of your injectors then look into one of the other products that uses a super nasty solvent and isolates the injector rail. You don't want that super nasty solvent circulating through your whole fuel system. Harbor Freight used to have a DIY apparatus to hold and pressurize the solvents and deliver them to your isolated fuel rail, but not sure if they do now.

I see Walmart online carries the OTC tool $144 with free shipping: https://www.walmart.com/ip/OTC-Tools...BoC_uIQAvD_BwE

But I'd try the Techron first.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #13
DieselSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfranklin View Post
Full transparency: I do own Chevron stock. But I've also done lots of tests with it. Yes "Concentrate" is the thing to get. It has a high dose of polyether amine. That's a fancy way of describing its designer molecule. One end of the molecule, the "amine" part (in the same chemical functional family as ammonia) is "polar" and is attracted to metal surfaces, deposits, and things that might form deposits. The other end is the "polyether" part that is wonderfully soluble in gasoline. So, the polar end attaches to stuff, and the tail is carried to and from anywhere gasoline splashes. So it cleans deposits and things that might form deposits and also protects metal surfaces from those deposits.

On top of that, the polyether part burns very cleanly so there is no residue left behind. In fact it removes deposits left behind by other lesser detergents.

There is also lots of "no harm" testing done with it on taxi fleets and so on. It cleans deposits and doesn't hurt other things. So it's strong but gentle.

Techron is the one that is consistently strong. Other brands pop up now and then, some are good, while others have nothing except a carrier oil and a little solvent. Some even change, depending on who is in charge of marketing a given year.

Many car companies also endorse Techron in one way or another. I used to keep a list and still probably have it somewhere.

Wow, I sound like a marketing guy! :-)

Try a bottle or two or three and run a couple of tanks of gas. If you use three then probably change your oil after that because trace amounts of any detergent wind up in the crank case and you don't want to disturb the additive package in the oil. One is no problem at all, but with three you might want to change it. If that doesn't take care of your injectors then look into one of the other products that uses a super nasty solvent and isolates the injector rail. You don't want that super nasty solvent circulating through your whole fuel system. Harbor Freight used to have a DIY apparatus to hold and pressurize the solvents and deliver them to your isolated fuel rail, but not sure if they do now.

I see Walmart online carries the OTC tool $144 with free shipping: https://www.walmart.com/ip/OTC-Tools...BoC_uIQAvD_BwE

But I'd try the Techron first.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
They guys on the Corvette forums swear by the Techron cleaner when they have fuel level sender issues.

Question - does the 87 octane Chevron gasoline have less Techron additive than the 89 or 91 octane? In other words, do I need to run an occasional tank of 91 or am I good just running 87 all the time? There is a Chevron close to my house and probably 9 tanks out of 10 are purchased there.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:37 PM   #14
mattfranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselSJ View Post
They guys on the Corvette forums swear by the Techron cleaner when they have fuel level sender issues.

Question - does the 87 octane Chevron gasoline have less Techron additive than the 89 or 91 octane? In other words, do I need to run an occasional tank of 91 or am I good just running 87 all the time? There is a Chevron close to my house and probably 9 tanks out of 10 are purchased there.
That was three jobs ago for me, so that this with a grain of salt. Usually premium is better, but our regular did a pretty good job against competitors' premiums. I think all of our octane grades are pretty strong.

But if you need 91 then definitely use it. I'm a little frugal so I usually use 87, but if I'm going up into the mountains and carrying a heavy load or pulling a trailer I don't hesitate to fill with 91 before I head up. Of course if you're going down hill from the mountains then 87 is fine.

Having said that, I'm experimenting with my Jeep to see if it makes a difference in MPG. Over the past 6 weeks it's gotten 21-22 on 87 on my commute. I'm trying 91 this week and may continue of the data set looks promising.

They publicly say that if you use our gas you shouldn't need a bottle of Concentrate Plus, but I occasionally put a bottle in mine once or twice a year to be safe.

I remember hearing about the "Plus." That's when they added some special stuff to deal with the corrosion of the silver fuel tank sending units. I knew the guy that did that work.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote