The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2013, 02:02 AM   #26
cheyenne shortstep

Re: wheres the hidden vin?? Help?

Trailer that truck with no VIN tag on the pillar to the CHP/DMV you will most likely be coming home with an empty trailer. Tim is trying to help you but as mentioned he may not be telling you what you want to hear.
cheyenne shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:38 AM   #27
71sixgun

I guess i've got it easy here, I just walk into the town office with a bill of sale with the vin # on it and its registered. It would probably be too much work if they had to come outside and look at the truck!
71sixgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #28
Chuymendez

I have a 72 that had the frame swapped from a long to short bed. I was looking for the vin on the engine compartment part of the frame and this is what I found "0s157980" can someone help decode this.
Chuymendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:11 AM   #29
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuymendez View Post
I have a 72 that had the frame swapped from a long to short bed. I was looking for the vin on the engine compartment part of the frame and this is what I found "0s157980" can someone help decode this.
0 1970
S St. Louis assembly plant
157980 unit serial number
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #30
Chuymendez

Smile Re: wheres the hidden vin?? Help?

Thanks SS Tim that was alot of help.
Chuymendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:48 PM   #31
preciador6

I bought a 1971 p10 gmc and the pink I'd is ps135f121116 and I can't find the vin tag and on the driver side frame the # is 1f655401 is this right or wrong frame please help guys. It was parked since 88 I have original pink from 2 nd owner
preciador6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:24 AM   #32
Cedricreilly

The partial vin on the frame can also be stamped on top of the passenger side frame rail in the engine compartment jus about inline with the pulleys on a 350. My 72 4x4 blazer has it's there. Most states I've lived in don't check the car for a vin unless it has an out of state title. That being said, I've driven 8 hrs for an ebay deal, had no vin, and drove 8hrs back with the same empty trailer...I would find another truck. If it looks to good to be true, it usually is.
Cedricreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #33
poway

I decided to finally look for mine on my 68 panel. It is on the driver's side on the top of the frame adjacent to the P/S pump. I had to sand off the paint to see it and fortunately it matches the plate in the driver's door post.
poway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:02 AM   #34
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by poway View Post
I decided to finally look for mine on my 68 panel. It is on the driver's side on the top of the frame adjacent to the P/S pump. I had to sand off the paint to see it and fortunately it matches the plate in the driver's door post.

I just found this post and im going to resurrect it because there is a lot of misleading information.

People use different cabs and frames all the time. There is no issue with this. You take your paperwork to your out of state inspection office and they will solve any issues.

Also, not having a vin plate on the cab is NOT the end of the world. You have a legit receipt and paperwork matching your purchase your out of state inspection office will handle it.

I have a 70 blazer i just went through this. The vin plate on the vehicle has never been registered. EVER! They believe that the mix up in vins happened at the factory. The frame vin, hidden frame vin, spid, and title all matches. The door frame vin is off by 2 numbers as someone had dyslexia or something. I had it taken to oregon state inspection and they put a new vin in the door frame. Done. I registered it in washington with zero issues either. Very common occurence from what they told me.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:31 AM   #35
centuryhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
the one on the metal plate on the cab side of the drivers door jamb under the striker is the ONLY one that LEGALLY identifies the truck.
Without that, you have an illegal truck
I don't seem to have any such plate on my truck. The only one I've found is on the sticker in the glove box.
centuryhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #36
Jurassic-1

I bought an original black plate truck with ALL vin # intact from crayon marks, Glove Box, Plate on the cab ,Tag in glove box and it had the blue sticker on the driver door that was worn but the last 3 digits were there. Arizona DMV wanted me to leave the truck for a closer look. I took it to another DMV and the guy there said oh this is not complete. I showed him all the other numbers and then he was satisfied. I called DMV and asked how many numbers are required and they told me 1-2 but it is up to the inspector. I get that they want to stop stolen vehicles but they should also look at the overall picture. It was complete and an original truck with more documentation than most. Even the black plates were those issued in 1970. I explained that having had a shop we replaced many drivers doors due to damage and the stickers were not available to replace then. If I have any vehicles I have had to buy bonded insurance on it and DMV issues a bonded title. It can be a pain but at least you can get registration legally going this rout. I know each state may differ.
Jurassic-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:08 PM   #37
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic-1 View Post
I bought an original black plate truck with ALL vin # intact from crayon marks, Glove Box, Plate on the cab ,Tag in glove box and it had the blue sticker on the driver door that was worn but the last 3 digits were there. Arizona DMV wanted me to leave the truck for a closer look. I took it to another DMV and the guy there said oh this is not complete. I showed him all the other numbers and then he was satisfied. I called DMV and asked how many numbers are required and they told me 1-2 but it is up to the inspector. I get that they want to stop stolen vehicles but they should also look at the overall picture. It was complete and an original truck with more documentation than most. Even the black plates were those issued in 1970. I explained that having had a shop we replaced many drivers doors due to damage and the stickers were not available to replace then. If I have any vehicles I have had to buy bonded insurance on it and DMV issues a bonded title. It can be a pain but at least you can get registration legally going this rout. I know each state may differ.
Oregon dmv literally took a sticker and put it next to my vin plate. Its a custom sticker but thats all they did. So i have a vin plate that reads one number and i have a vin sticker from dmv, spid, and frame numbers with the other vin. Washington didnt care either. They looked up the original vin and it has never been issued.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:08 PM   #38
kqwackey

Hello to all of you .well for starters it bought a 72 c10 from a friend to save the truck and restore it .because I couldn't help the fact my friends dad died .
My problem is the dmv is requiring me to get a chp regulation 31 form done
They can not find a secondary vin to verify the truck .yes the original vin plate is on the cab door sill .no factory sticker on the glove box door and no vin on the top driverside frame rail near gear box .any help ?
This is a cali truck already registered and titled in cali .I'm not trying to change States just trying to re register in cali

Last edited by kqwackey; 12-20-2016 at 05:12 PM. Reason: missing info
kqwackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:38 PM   #39
Couch
Daily Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kqwackey View Post
Hello to all of you .well for starters it bought a 72 c10 from a friend to save the truck and restore it .because I couldn't help the fact my friends dad died .
My problem is the dmv is requiring me to get a chp regulation 31 form done
They can not find a secondary vin to verify the truck .yes the original vin plate is on the cab door sill .no factory sticker on the glove box door and no vin on the top driverside frame rail near gear box .any help ?
This is a cali truck already registered and titled in cali .I'm not trying to change States just trying to re register in cali
theres gotta be a stamped number on top of the frame rail in the engine compartment especially on a 72, usually on the drivers side rail near where the PS pump is from all the ones ive seen. i had to do a vin verification on my 69 , also here in CA like yourself. they found the one on the frame rail as i dont even have the one on the cab jamb anymore and they were ok with that. i think it all depends on the guy doing it. only other one on the frame is under the cab, and you actually have to pull the cab to get to that one

nitrous...the equal opportunity destroyer.
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:54 PM   #40
kqwackey

Well I cleaned and sanded with emery cloth on the top of the frame rail from gear box to motor mount .it looked like it was ground down when I cleaned it .but the truck has been in her dad's name for the past 10 years and has be registered here in cali since he bought it

Last edited by kqwackey; 12-20-2016 at 07:55 PM. Reason: added info
Old 12-20-2016, 07:56 PM   #41
kqwackey

I don't get it but the title shows 73 registration shows 72 .both have the exact matching vin on both and cab plaque shows the same too
Old 12-20-2016, 08:06 PM   #42
leddzepp

If it's already registered here why do you need a CHP inspection? Something isn't right...

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:23 PM   #43
kqwackey

Cool Re: wheres the hidden vin?? Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
If it's already registered here why do you need a CHP inspection? Something isn't right...
That's why I'm asking
Old 12-21-2016, 02:29 AM   #44
Cedricreilly

They might have done a frame swap at some time. The vin will only decode to one model year, lmc has a decoder in the front of their magazine you can view it at lmc.com. The plate below the driver door striker should have rosette rivets, if they are just round rivets, it has been removed at some point. You can see the vin under the cab easily with a good light and an inspection mirror, but it has to be cleaned well, I use brake cleaner and a microfiber rag, some vins I've seen on the pass side frame in the engine compartment as well. The title being a 73 could be due to the year it was first titled. Some states used to put the year titled as the model year. It's rare, but in those states if you bought a new 72 in 1973 it would be titled a 73 even though it is a 72 model year truck. I've seen a few 72s titled as a 73 and a few 75 blazer/jimmy a titled as 76 trucks, but still have the vin and fully removable top. Other places you can find a vin are a longshot and probably won't help because they aren't attached, but the build sheet should have the vin if I remember right and it can normally be found under or behind the seat, fastened to the seat, in some cases it is under the carpet and pad on the drivers side floor, that's where I found my last one. Good luck!
Old 12-21-2016, 02:43 AM   #45
kqwackey

Thanks for the info .I cleaned and checked the top of the frame on passenger side. No luck with a vin .I'll look to see if it has it on the driverside floor board and reply with stats tomorrow
Old 12-21-2016, 08:23 PM   #46
BigBen702

Not sure if this helps but my co-worker had bought a 66 chevelle that was missing the VIN plate but the seller had the title for the car. Reason it was missing was because it was media blasted and got lost. I found the partial vin and cut a hole in the trunk to see it clearly. We took it to the DMV it was inspected and they put a VIN plate and mailed him a new title. So it is possible but each state varies, this was in Las Vegas, NV. Good luck
BigBen702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:28 AM   #47
kqwackey

Well thank you all for the positive feedback back .I went for my chp inspection today .they had my truck in their shop for over 2 hours .then come to tell me they could not locate a secondary vin .but they did tell me the partial vin numbers tell them it's got parts from 5 different cars under it ..then the two officers proceeded to give me 3 choices .1 was they could instantly crush the truck .2 the could send it to an approved facility and dismantle it .3 was to drive it home and remove what they want out of the way so they can inspect it with out anything obstructing their eye site .I was told not to touch the frame in anyway before they inspection is complete and I'm to trailer the truck back .I WAS TOLD ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT DOUBT DO NOT DRIVE IT BACK TO FINISH THE INSPECTION PROCESS.
ANY other advice for me ?
Old 12-23-2016, 01:55 AM   #48
Cedricreilly

Is it possible for you to register it in another state? Most states just require the cab vin to match...allowing for frame swaps, etc.... If not, I would try another chp....I don't know how they got 5 separate vins...I don't think they knew what they were doing... Might have been looking at build of materials numbers and thinking they were partial vins...
Old 12-23-2016, 04:26 AM   #49
kqwackey

Angry Re: wheres the hidden vin?? Help?

No I don't have any other way to get it done and no I can't go to another state first
All I know is i was told I'm not to drive it back for the completion of inspection .
And a little more info it's a 1972 c10 short bed side step
It's got a 373 by 8 3/4 " rear end 400 turbo with a stage 3 shift kit
350 4 bolt main Sb
The guy who looked at it has a 69 and says mine looks nothing like his .I told him no and the from clip is from a 73 not 72
Both title and registration vin numbers match what the door frame shows from the factory. I was also told the vin does not decode for a 73 or 72 chevy truck .WTF! !!!
If it's not correct how the hell did California issue a title when transferred back in 2013 ??????

Last edited by kqwackey; 12-23-2016 at 04:41 AM. Reason: miss spelled
Old 12-23-2016, 08:11 AM   #50
Grumpy old man

Somethings KQWHACKEY ? post a few pictures of this truck / vin plate , try looking on top of the DRIVERS SIDE frame rail under the cab for your vin . How did they determine it is a combination of 5 different trucks ? From part numbers ? It all sounds like a bunch of hooey to me . Try a different DMV office just walk in and hand them the paperwork and don't offer explanations of what you've already tried to do . Don't ask questions just pull out your checkbook and pay the fees .walking in and saying it's a 72 but titled as a 73 starts the investigation ball rolling and there's were your problems start .

Here in good ol hillbillie Tn I can walk in to DMV with an out of state title and walk out in 10 minutes with a clean tn title and TAGS on a bare cab with no questions asked about anything , I retitle every cab I buy just in case I loose a title it's easy to get a duplicate .

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 12-23-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote