The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #126
Daner

Re: Lied and defrauded on 1971 c10 short bed

If everyone was ethical we wouldn't need laws. The law is simply the bare minimum amount of ethics allowed by society. Some people like to exhibit the bare minimum. Personally, I don't know how they sleep at night. Maybe it's an ignorance is bliss kinda thing.

As others have said it looks like it's worth what you paid. An easy way to avoid scams like this is to buy beat up rusty trucks... makes it obvious if things have been changed.
49 GMC Grain truck 235 1 1/2 ton
76 Chevy 350/4 speed 1/2 ton
Daner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #127
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Talking Re: Lied and defrauded on 1971 c10 short bed

I remember when I was looking for a truck I had a list of things I would and would not accept , and a factory shortbed was one of the things I was not gonna give an inch on ! LOL
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #128
Lou Boffa

I am not a lawyer, but I was talking about this to a friend and his advice was to take it to small claims court if you have the original add. Also, check the county records to see if the guy who sold it to you has any property. That way, if you get a judgement, he or his heirs will evntually have to settle the judgement in order to transfer the property. Hiring an attorney would eat up any settlement you might get. Small claims cost little and in most states you can take issues up to $10K. Try to figure out what you are out and be able to prove it to the small claims judge. Might take a little homework, but sounds like a way to get some justice and satisfaction.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #129
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Judging from what I see
1.there are about as many cut down long beds as there were original short ones.
2.If done right there's nothing wrong with cutting one.
3.You can't sue,like Tim said,you need to know and look on a used one.
4.Plate the welds and drive the crap outta it.
5.Soon a long bed will be the rarest truck around.
Now we're talkin'! I'll take $15,000 for mine right now.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #130
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

he price of a real number matching shortbed frame and cab truck will always be high now because of all this , my 67 has the vin on the frame and my cab matches my truck is an original shortbed and I like it that way but I have no problem with one shortened the right way , if this keeps going and shortbeds get higher and higher the guys building them will just get better at hideing it they can cut a frame and do a little bodywork on it so you cant tell it by looking at it ,
Old 07-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #131
Don Quixote

I don't intend to be crass here but I only see this as much ado about nothing. If the op is this upset about an otherwise beautiful truck, he will not really care about it and will wind up running it into the ground having lost sight of what he is sitting on. I can't say it will go this way but it is the law of averages.

As it is, it can be reposted for about the same as it is and honestly and someone will scoop it up.

All this talk of lawyers and courts would make a grown man sick to his stomach. The facts at the end of the day are that the truck was bought all but sight unseen.

When I was looking for a truck, I found a truck and bought the truck. It needed work and over the years I did the work. 17 years later I am still doing the work.

If I were looking for a restored, factory spec shortbed truck, I would keep looking until I found a restored, factory spec, shortbed truck. First, I would have to know what a restored, factory spec, shortbed truck looks like.

If the SPID says 127" WB, nope, that's not a shortbed or the glove box is not the one from the factory. Rut-roh...

If the frame has any welds on it whatsoever, nope, not factory...

If the bed has welds all the way across it, nope, not factory either.

I could buy it anyway and bring it home and see that I really didn't look for the things I had set out to find. I can only chalk it up to the fact that I didn't know what I was buying which to me is very bad considering what I have to go through to earn the money I am spending.

That said, the government is trying to sell a bridge in Alaska and we all trust the government at face value, don't we?

Suing the PO would be much like saying, "I cut this board 3 times and it's still too short!"

So far, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #132
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

What he said !
Old 07-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #133
mgchevyparts

Interesting thread. Glad the OP is Ok with his truck now, sucks to be lied to. I'll have to go look at the frame on my 71 step side. I'm suspicious now since just the other day I checked the VIN and it was an orig fleetside, so I thought hmmm why someone changed from a fleetside to stepside. It's a driving light project that is basically straight but needs paint little body work. I'm not upset at all since it was a low price and I picked it up because of that. On the positive it has a fresh 383 and 700R4, seller thought it was a 350.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #134
AusTx68

And not all swb conversions are cut down from lwb trucks. Some are swb frames under original lwb trucks. Yea, the frame VIN won't match if it's readable. It could have been removed which creates even more ambiguity.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #135
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

the world had to have 4 door cars , long wheel base trucks , and as I read above 305 engines LOL I got a kick out of that one ! you know long bed trucks are always in better condition ? but they were bought to do work with ? so how is that ?