The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2005, 07:29 PM   #1
crosby

driveshaft help, what can I do?

Hey everybody. I'm pulling the tranny, xfer case, and axles from an 85K30, and I am stuck on the rear driveshaft at the rear axle. All four of the bolts holding the driveshaft on are stripped and rounded off. Nice job somebody else set up for me. I can't even tell what size they are. At first I thought they were metric for some reason, now I have no idea. Vise Grips only add insult to injury, and there is no way to get my air tools in there, because the driveshaft's in the way. I am thinking about cutting the straps to get it off, any other ideas? I don't want to ruin the yoke or the driveshaft. I could cut off the bolt heads, but I would still have to get the bolts out afterwards. That, and I am finding the NP205 and TH400 are VERY HEAVY!! Plus I am sick. Thanks very much for any help. You should see how I dropped the tranny and transfer case. Cut through the frame with a sawzall, peeled back the frame and down she came. Lots of rust on this one. Okay, thanks very much.
crosby is offline   Reply With Quote