The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2004, 03:22 PM   #1
ed455
Captain Ed

Thumbs up performanceonline.com

Bought a power steering mount kit, front and rear sway bars, 2.5" drop spindles and a shock relocation kit from performanceonline. It's for my 66 chevy C-10. I first called Classic Performance Parts, and since I knew the part numbers I wanted to order from looking at their website. I told them I needed a shipping quote because I was going to prepay with a money order. Before I even told them what I wanted to order, the guy just apathetically rattles off that shipping will be 15% of the order price. Since my order was $700+ I stated that that comes to over $100! He said, "yeah, shipping's expensive . . ." I said that I would have to shop around. His response was "whatever." Remember, I haven't even told him what I wanted to order.

I was shocked as I recently had an engine block shipped from Texas to Kentucky by motor freight for less than that!

Next I tried to call McGaughy's. All I got for two hours was a busy signal.

I picked up a recent copy of Classic Trucks magazine from under my desk (I was at the office) and went to the back to the "hungry" vendors. Called Performance Online and told them what had happened over at Classic Performance and the guy answered "that's classic. I used to work there and that's their general attitude." Now I have never ordered from Classic before so I had no bone to pick, but I hate crappy customer service.

I listed my parts needs and he gave me prices. Before we even talked about HIS shipping cost, I had already realized an $85 savings. In addition, shipping was only $68. He was apologetic for that, but he noted that it was ACTUAL cost based on weight and those spindles ARE fairly heavy. All told, I saved $117 compared to Classic Performance. I let him know that I was very impressed, and he noted that every time you see CPP mentioned and/or their parts used in an article in the various truck mags, they have paid a hefty fee in addition to providing the parts gratis. They have to pass that cost along to US consumers.

Generally I consider it in poor taste to verbally slam a specific competitor to a customer, but as he was a dissatisfied former EMPLOYEE of a company that I BROUGHT UP, who understood my aggravation because he had dealt with it himself, I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Just wanted to let you know about a very COOL vendor. www.performanceonline.com

I am NOT affiliated with this company in any way. Just a guy trying to save as much money on my parts as possible.

Last edited by ed455; 05-18-2004 at 10:46 PM.
ed455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 02:56 PM   #2
Smokie55

Thanks for the information. I just sat down with my new Classic Trucks magazine last night and saw an ad for a 3-4 drop kit with front and rear sway bar kit. It seemed like a good price for the complete kit. But I decided to shop around to find out how good of a deal it was. I started searching here first. I know that this site has members who have tried just about everything and every vendor. thank god for this site, and thank god for member's like you for sharing such good info. It can really help out other people who may have questions.

I will give these folks a call and see what they quote me for the same kit.

thanks again.

And remember it only takes a minute to post a review. But it could save someone hours or weeks of frustration dealing with unsatisfactory vendors.
1972 K5 blazer "Rusty" - 400/TH350/NP205 - Yeah it's big alright!!
- Founding Member of Southern Bowties Club -
Smokie55 is offline   Reply With Quote