The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2024, 09:38 PM   #1
fauXGT

Gauge Face Color

Been searching for days.
Updating the stock gauges with modern internals and modifying faces (volt, fuel, temp, oil), but can't find a paint code of the the 'taupe' brown/green. Going back to complete stock look. Can't find anything even close at the local rattle can stores. Is there such a thing, or do I have to take a piece to someone that can read a virgin piece and mix it into a rattle can?
'92 GMC Sonoma GT VIN #0015
'91 GMC Sonoma GT extended cab 1 of 1
.....and more trucks
fauXGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 04:48 PM   #2
51 3600

Re: Gauge Face Color

I did the same thing you're doing. If you're asking about the color for the center of the gauges, I used Rust-oleum 7272830 Metallic Dark Bronze. I was referred to this color by the Stove Bolt site as being the closest to the original AD dash color. It's a hard color to find in stores. I ordered online through Zoro. I painted my dash that color also. (I altered the cluster face from the pic below to better line up the placement and arc of the gauges with the needles. Don't have finished pic.)

Name:  Gauges 012.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  Gauges 009.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  47.2 KB

'51 3600, LS5.3, 4L60e, Danforth cross., Blazer front susp., Borg Warner 9 bolt 3.27 GR, Wrangler leafs

Last edited by 51 3600; 01-21-2024 at 04:52 PM. Reason: added info
51 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 10:01 PM   #3
fauXGT

I was looking for the individual temp, fuel plate colors.
But what I was using for an existing match was the old 0-80 speedo center that hadn't seen sun, but the replacement 0-90 face is lighter in color. I took that to the local Ace and found Rusto camo flat green is almost a dead match. I took the old ones and made them fit the new Bosche gauges and wanted to color them not knowing what kind of label I'd use. I'll put UV stable satin clear on before I install them to match the speedo.
Attached Images

.....and more trucks
Old 01-22-2024, 10:45 AM   #4
leegreen

I can't help with the color question, that paint was the only part of this gauge that was not rusted. This is my 'get it on the road' solution made out of assorted used gauges, all of which had guts to deep for the AD housing - I tack welded the individual gauge bodies into holes in the housing. The face shown is just printer paper glued in place - not a long term solution. Lighting is some LEDs in center and a LED strip around perimeter, it works but I'd prefer backlit translucent gauge faces with illuminated needles.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  40.1 KB

I have a spare set of OEM clusters I want to do a nicer job with now that the truck is a driver....

fauxgt, what gauges did you start with? They fit into the housing nicely.

Does anyone have good ideas about how to backlight a setup like this with a custom gauge face overlaid onto a modern guage?
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 12:26 AM   #5
fauXGT

I read an e-article from a brit that had done this with Bosche gauges. The kits come with their own sending units. I think they are the standard 2", but saw the butchery they had done with the mounting. I spent a couple of weekends figuring out that a different mounting could be done. Disassembled the gauge housings, plotted the new positions on the back of the stock housing, drilled holes, carefully filed the gauges to drop into said holes and made sure that they were all the same height. Had to ensure that they all had proper insulating on the mounting surface. Some of the holes lined up with existing.
It turned out very good, and hope nothing shorts out when electrified( LOL. I have an electronics degree and have triple checked....but will do again before final assembly).
Goal is to fool some of these old timers(I'm in there too) is that stock or not.
I love taking something and turning it into the "Never seen that before. Is that factory?".
I can do a full writeup if requested. Not too difficult, just lots of patience.
Attached Images

.....and more trucks
Old 01-23-2024, 12:33 AM   #6
fauXGT

Except for the fuel sending unit.
That was figured out by the ohms low to high needed for the gauge and ordering the proper one for the tank depth.
$80 for a tube style sender rather than an arm type, but that was 2 years ago.
Wierd that we have to make pre, mid or post covid prices when talking about stuff.
Oh. Goal was to keep as much patina as possible, hence the faded paint and rust spots on surrounds and chrome.
.....and more trucks

Last edited by fauXGT; 01-23-2024 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-23-2024, 01:47 AM   #7
leegreen

nice! What is your plan for the gauge faces and illumination?
I have a png or gimp xcf file of the face of my 4 gauge cluster if your interested in starting there. Font is OEM or close, colors are easy to change if you know some gimp or photoshop

there was not much worth saving in this cluster when I started, the gauges had basically turned to rusty dust and the surround was more rust than chrome. I totally hacked it up to fit the 2" gauge housings in
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 01:44 PM   #8
fauXGT

Been messing with this template. And going to use stock illumination. May upgrade to higher output LED natural light if too dull.
Will adjust the color to get close to the 0-90 Chevy speedo face, then it won't be too obvious that major changes were done.
Attached Images

.....and more trucks

Last edited by fauXGT; 01-23-2024 at 01:52 PM.