The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2005, 10:06 AM   #1
"67"StepSide

Question 67 power steering???

I have a 67 swb w/o power steering. I am starting to round up parts for the frame and I got to the steering box. I'm putting in a big block is there a box kit with proper lines for this? If not does just a regular power steering box work but with different lines??? If so what are the lines from? help please thanks john
"67"StepSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:37 PM   #2
qksilver

Re: 67 power steering???

The stock P/S steering boxes come with 2 different style fluid fittings. The early one uses standard thread with a flange and the later style is metric with o-rings. A few companies offer adapters for the later boxes that screw into the box and makes is so the early style hoses will work.
It you haven't bought your pump or box yet, just make sure the are the same style.
As far as hoses go, use 73- what ever year bb truck at the parts house for the pressure side. The return line is generally bulk hose with clamps. using barbed fittings on the box and pump. Make sure the bulk hose is rated for P/S because of heat.
One other thing is the 67's didn't have a dimple on the frame where the P/S box mounts for clearance. I have heard that some due but never seen it, also goes for early production 68 frames.
I went by what Wes did for his truck.
They offer a kit with brackets but unless it a 4X4 it throws the front end geometry off (bump steer)
Steve
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:03 PM   #3
"67"StepSide

Thank you steve!! Who's better than you? That was the info I was looking for. My hunt for parts goes on!!!!! thanks again
john
"67"StepSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 06:53 PM   #4
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

I just put PS in one of my 67's & it went easy. The only hitch was that I had to get the torch & hammer & bump the frame a few times to make room for a bulge on the steering box. I also had to notch the bumper bracket & had to shave a wee bit off of the body mount on the frame. I used a box from a 74 towtruck. I discovered that the ps pitman arm is the same part number on a 68, a 71 & a 74 2wd truck.
-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote