The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
orange72sub

2012 chevy 2500 cold air intake and exhaust installed now acts up on highway

I have a friend that bought a new 2012 2500 standard cab long bed 4x4 with the 6.0 auto. He added a free flow exhaust and a K&N cold air kit to it. Now when he is driving say down the highway and he backs out of the throttle the truck down shifts and it gets confused as to what to do next. He was told there's not enough back pressure and the computer is trying to compensate for that. They also told him the only way to fix it would be to go to a programmer and tune it to fix the problem. Has anybody dealt with this problem and if so how and or what programmer would you suggest? Thanks for any help.
orange72sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
MadManAndrew

Re: 2012 chevy 2500 cold air intake and exhaust installed now acts up on highway

Was your friend on drugs when he decided to void his powertrain warranty for a barely noticable power increase? Either way, he does need a programmer or custom tune to get it to act right with the exhaust on.. I would recomend finding a reputable EFI Live tuner. The only one I can recall is Black Bear but there are others.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: 2012 chevy 2500 cold air intake and exhaust installed now acts up on highway

I installed those type of items on my 2011 GMC Sierra and the warranty stayed whole. The GM dealerships are even doing installs such as exhaust and cold air kits in many of their cars and trucks. My truck did not act up without a tune, however once started changing for performance, I did go out and do a tune on the computer---Now that impacts the warranty if you have a dealership that has a tight-butt atitude---which I don't. I am very satisfied with my performance, so the gain was worth it to me and I have about 82,000 miles on the truck so the warranty is of little impact, now. I even installed a set of l ong tube headers on my truck along with a Magnaflow muffler and dual exhaust outlets.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
orange72sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManAndrew View Post
Was your friend on drugs when he decided to void his powertrain warranty for a barely noticable power increase? Either way, he does need a programmer or custom tune to get it to act right with the exhaust on.. I would recomend finding a reputable EFI Live tuner. The only one I can recall is Black Bear but there are others.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey thanks for the quick reply's I really do appreciate the help! I asked him the same thing, it's just he's one of those accessories guys that can't resist adding un necessary stuff just because it either looks cool or sounds cool. I'll let Jim know what he is upagainst and let him decide what accessory he needs next. Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device
orange72sub is offline   Reply With Quote