The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
northerngmc

Swapping wheels, what about pressure sensors?

I have a 2012 Yukon XL and I am considering buying a second set of wheels with winter tires. I am considering buying factory take off wheels with the factory sensors installed.

Will I have any issues by simply bolting on the new wheels? Do I need to somehow activate the sensors so my vehicle reads them?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northerngmc/
http://www.members.tripod.com/P-wee/index_032.htm

1.61803 is one H of a lot better than 3.14159, no really it is!
northerngmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
GMCJOE

Re: Swapping wheels, what about pressure sensors?

Buy wheels with the closest offset to factory rims you can. I have a set of Mickey Thompson classic III's on my 2008 GMC. I have the leveling struts made by Rancho to get clearance, but I rub a bit when I turn about 3/4's of the way to the right on the passenger side. It's at the rear of the fender well where my mud flap is. They squared the back of the fenders when they changed body styles causing this issue with some aftermarket rims.

As for the sensors, program them to your vehicle. Best way to learn this is to look in the user's manual that is in your vehicle or google it. To rest or learn your TPMS sensors is to put the TPMS in learn mode, then start with drivers front wheel. Let the air out slowly till the horn honks once and the turn signal flashes. Work your way around doing the same procedure. Once your get to your drivers rear, do the same. This time it will honk the horn and flash the turn signal twice signaling you have completed the reset/learning of the TPMS.

If your Yukon doesn't use the deflate method, as I have heard some other the newer model years not, take it to the dealership and have them do it or a tire shop with their tool they hookup to the obdII port.

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
bighaas79

they make after market sensors that you can clone to your original sensors and then put them in a different set of wheels. Since they are identical copies of the original sensors you can swap your winter/summer rims and tires and your truck will never know the difference. They will probably also be a lot cheaper than buying new take offs and you will still have to reset the system every time you change the wheels. Most auto parts stores should carry them. Unfortunately I can't think of the brand off the top of my head.
bighaas79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I have a set of GM steel winter rims for my 2011 GMC. There are no sensors in them and the truck handles that just fine. You will have to touch the DIC check button when you start, but that is all. When you mount your other rims for the Summer, all will reset properly and things go on as designed. I can remember life without those dang sensors and I managed to live many years without them.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
northerngmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCJOE View Post
Buy wheels with the closest offset to factory rims you can. I have a set of Mickey Thompson classic III's on my 2008 GMC. I have the leveling struts made by Rancho to get clearance, but I rub a bit when I turn about 3/4's of the way to the right on the passenger side. It's at the rear of the fender well where my mud flap is. They squared the back of the fenders when they changed body styles causing this issue with some aftermarket rims.

As for the sensors, program them to your vehicle. Best way to learn this is to look in the user's manual that is in your vehicle or google it. To rest or learn your TPMS sensors is to put the TPMS in learn mode, then start with drivers front wheel. Let the air out slowly till the horn honks once and the turn signal flashes. Work your way around doing the same procedure. Once your get to your drivers rear, do the same. This time it will honk the horn and flash the turn signal twice signaling you have completed the reset/learning of the TPMS.

If your Yukon doesn't use the deflate method, as I have heard some other the newer model years not, take it to the dealership and have them do it or a tire shop with their tool they hookup to the obdII port.
Yeah I live in a remote area, nearest GM dealer is a six hour drive. I will look into which method mine uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighaas79 View Post
they make after market sensors that you can clone to your original sensors and then put them in a different set of wheels. Since they are identical copies of the original sensors you can swap your winter/summer rims and tires and your truck will never know the difference. They will probably also be a lot cheaper than buying new take offs and you will still have to reset the system every time you change the wheels. Most auto parts stores should carry them. Unfortunately I can't think of the brand off the top of my head.
I have found a set of factory take off wheels, with brand new tires for about the price of tires. I am also a factory kind of guy. I have had aftermarket wheels before but would prefer factory wheels so I am not messing with spacers or different lug nuts. I do appreciate the information though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
I have a set of GM steel winter rims for my 2011 GMC. There are no sensors in them and the truck handles that just fine. You will have to touch the DIC check button when you start, but that is all. When you mount your other rims for the Summer, all will reset properly and things go on as designed. I can remember life without those dang sensors and I managed to live many years without them.
Yeah I drove around for a couple of days with a spare on and it drove me nuts pressing the DIC button every time.

Thanks everyone for the information. I am going to look into if I can use the deflate mode and go from there. Still not convinced I want winter tires with the Auto 4WD and the rear weight of the Yukon.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
ho70

I use winter tires and you have to turn the key on and depress the remote buttons and let air out until horn beeps, check your manual or google and it is easy peasy
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
northerngmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho70 View Post
I use winter tires and you have to turn the key on and depress the remote buttons and let air out until horn beeps, check your manual or google and it is easy peasy
Thanks, just to clarify, you have 2 sets of wheels, both with sensors?

Old 11-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
ho70

Yes, regular and winter. I have to re-calibrate every spring and fall when I switch the wheels
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:45 AM   #9
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

As stated before, I ran a set of tires without the sensors, last winter and then put my chrome rims on when the weather straightened up. Yes, every time I started, I had to tap the DIC to clear the TPMS light, but that was all that I had to do. When I put the regular rims back on, the alarm went away. Saves a lot of time and money, in the long run.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #10
BigBlocksRule

Man, life was a ***** when we had to actually look at a tire to tell it was getting low on air...
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote