The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2017, 05:53 PM   #1
weq92f

Re: Is the restorer legally responsible ??

Definitely consult a law professional.

However... a personal friend of mine went to court and won against the seller of a Harley who didn't disclose a modification ( lowering ) that limited the bikes turning radius due to interference with the ground. My buddy crashed the bike and nearly died.

Not exactly the same thing, but is a good example of complex liability case.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:31 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

A restoration shop would have insurance , And would have to be grossly negligent to to be held liable for anything over their insurance . if the "truck" was sold by the original customer it's his baby especially if he knew about a serious defect . Lawyers always go after the deepest pockets . Without knowing the specifics it's all up for debate , INC ? LLC ? Sole proprietor ? Sold as is, where is ? What it all really boils down to is there enough money or assets for any attorney to try to sue for ? Anyone who sells an antique car or truck without having the buyer sign an as is, where is contract is crazy .

edit : if you go asking the shop questions about liability you'll be signing a release before it leaves their building , the back yard guy will probably tell you to pick it up with a trailer and stop right where he is if he's smart .

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 12-21-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:04 PM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
edit : if you go asking the shop questions about liability you'll be signing a release before it leaves their building , the back yard guy will probably tell you to pick it up with a trailer and stop right where he is if he's smart .
Exactly!! And there's a good chance the cost of the job just went up....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:51 AM   #4
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
Definitely consult a law professional.

However... a personal friend of mine went to court and won against the seller of a Harley who didn't disclose a modification ( lowering ) that limited the bikes turning radius due to interference with the ground. My buddy crashed the bike and nearly died.

Not exactly the same thing, but is a good example of complex liability case.

-klb
That blows that the shop was held accountable for a rider that clearly didn't know how to ride the bike he bought... Just saying... I would bet he knew dayam well the bike had been lowered and if he hadn't been "pushing" the bike to its limits then it would not have happened...

People and there ridiculous entitlement lawsuits out for a dollar... This country has gone crazy on lawsuits and not accepting responsibility for their own responsibilities...

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:47 PM   #5
Rich69shortfleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
Kind of sad that he won in a way (sorry that he got hurt but I'm making a point here). If he wasn't aware of the capabilities of a modified vehicle before he swung a leg over it and drove away I'd think he AT LEAST should share in the liability.

But honestly, who designs a modified bike that can't take a reasonable corner without dragging the frame on the ground? (which is what I suspect was the problem) But then, who buys and rides one without knowing what it can and cannot do?
Rich69shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:32 PM   #6
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich69shortfleet View Post
Kind of sad that he won in a way (sorry that he got hurt but I'm making a point here). If he wasn't aware of the capabilities of a modified vehicle before he swung a leg over it and drove away I'd think he AT LEAST should share in the liability.

But honestly, who designs a modified bike that can't take a reasonable corner without dragging the frame on the ground? (which is what I suspect was the problem) But then, who buys and rides one without knowing what it can and cannot do?
Just for a bit of clarification:

In this case, it was a frame modification. The turn radius reduction was unknown until the accident, by all parties involved. It was not a dealer or shop but rather a sale between individuals.

The reduction wasn't much as the frame was lowered only slightly. The accident site was on a very tight curve on a mountain road and it occurred quite a while after the original sale of the bike. Experienced rider. He knew the bike should have made the turn.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote