The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2018, 01:06 PM   #401
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Re: "Elwood" the 77_remix

That has to be the best looking temporary exhaust I have ever seen. Now it I can get Owen motivated to work on his interior all would be good. Hoping to have it mostly done on the interior for LST.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:59 AM   #402
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

The brake lines are complete! I wont say I hated doing it, but it was a valuable lesson in frustration. The hardest part was finding all the fittings I needed to make it work. Once those were located it was a matter of getting the bends tight enough to fit.

I learned a trick that help with the tight bends. I put a 1/2 drive extension in my bench vise to, the slid a deep socket with an extension over the fitting to use for a handle. I slowly pulled the line around the curve of the extension till I hade the bend that I needed. It took a couple of tries to perfect the technique, but it got my bends much tighter than a traditional tubing bender.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 01-31-2018 at 12:22 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:32 PM   #403
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
That has to be the best looking temporary exhaust I have ever seen. Now it I can get Owen motivated to work on his interior all would be good. Hoping to have it mostly done on the interior for LST.
I was fortunate that I had a few pieces from the previous system that could be used. Dont look too close, its far from perfect.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #404
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Last night I bleed the brake system and checked for leaks. Out of 16 new flares I only had one bad. Apparently I tightened it to much and it split. I replaced another one because I had stripped the head on the fitting trying to get it tight enough to seal.

I need to bleed it again and double check my work. Once I verify its all good i can clean up my mess and do paint touch ups. I feel its a little better than what I started with.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-01-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:37 PM   #405
rustytruck50

Looks great to me!

'05 RCSB Sierra 2WD
'71 Sierra 2WD Longbed
'98 Silverado K1500 Xcab...sold
'72 Highlander"Raymond"...sold
rustytruck50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:41 PM   #406
daddyjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Apparently I tightened it to much and it split.
I think I saw this on one of those car shows on the tube... Instead of continuing to tighten until a leak stops you should loosen a half turn and tighten it again. Repeat this until it is good. I haven't done any brake lines in a while, but this method seems to make sense.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:49 PM   #407
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
I think I saw this on one of those car shows on the tube... Instead of continuing to tighten until a leak stops you should loosen a half turn and tighten it again. Repeat this until it is good. I haven't done any brake lines in a while, but this method seems to make sense.
Especially w/stainless fittings.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #408
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Especially w/stainless fittings.
Scoti you may be right. The flare that split was against a stainless fitting. Lesson learned. The other one was inside the frame so I had a bad angle trying to tighten it. I was able to stop the leak by tightening with a line wrench, but I rounded the head. I decided to cut and replace the fitting while I could get to it.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-02-2018, 11:37 AM   #409
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Late night at work so I found a small job to do. I'm ready to reassemble the accessories on the drivers side. I spent time polishing the alternator before it goes back on.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-04-2018, 09:17 AM   #410
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

After I cleaned the alternator assembly I had planned to do the same to the power steering pump bracket. I searched my shop looking everywhere and can t find it. I am perplexed but I need to move on.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-04-2018, 09:25 AM   #411
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

With the mystery unsolved I prepared the fender for undercoat. When I cut the inside of the fender for the Slosh Tubz, it allows access to the inside.

I carefully clean and scuff as far as I can , then wipe with brake cleaner. After masking the area thourghly I spray undercoat inside the fender.
It now has protection from the weather, and its much quieter as well.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-04-2018, 09:27 AM   #412
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I had a nice surprise waiting on my porch this week. Derek at Precision Replacement Parts sent me a box filled with goodies. I can't wait to get in the cab and get started with the install.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #413
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Its been crazy the past few days. My desktop crashed and I had to have the mother board replaced. Since I run my company from my computer, I had to focus on getting it back in operation. That put me behind on my office work, so I haven't had any time to post.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-06-2018, 01:11 PM   #414
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

To recap where I left off, I had been searching for my power steering pump assembly. I had pulled it to gain access to the proportioning valve and set it aside to drip. I keep a box under my bench with a plastic liner for recycle items. I set it in the box with to drain, and apparently I never took it out. I cleaned my shop the next day and threw away some scrap parts. When I emptied the box a few days later, I totally forgaot the pump assembly was in there.

I have done some stupid things in my life. Most I can contribute to my youth or under the influence. Unfortunately I no longer have either of these as an excuse. This was just a stupid and costly mistake.

Another life lesson added to the list.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #415
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Now that I have played True Confession, lets get back to talking trucks. To finish out the drivers side inner fender area I needed to move the wiring. When I add the Slosh Panelz the wiring was going to be in my way. I cut, spliced, and rerouted accordingly. It will eventually be rerouted to the front of the core support, but for now its cleaner and out of the way.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-06-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:35 PM   #416
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Oh, no! All my good parts went missing because I sold them off before I knew I’d need them again...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:25 PM   #417
rustytruck50

Awwwww dang! Is it safe to assume there was a whiskey tango foxtrot reference made?
Well, if it's any consolation, I literally threw away about $200. I put the money in a empty med bottle so it was out of my sight. About a week or so later, I decided to clean out some stuff in the closet and the bottle turned out to be part of the toss....took a few days until I figured it out....took me a bit of time to get past that one!

'05 RCSB Sierra 2WD
'71 Sierra 2WD Longbed
'98 Silverado K1500 Xcab...sold
'72 Highlander"Raymond"...sold
rustytruck50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:28 AM   #418
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Oh, no! All my good parts went missing because I sold them off before I knew I’d need them again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytruck50 View Post
Awwwww dang! Is it safe to assume there was a whiskey tango foxtrot reference made?
Well, if it's any consolation, I literally threw away about $200. I put the money in a empty med bottle so it was out of my sight. About a week or so later, I decided to clean out some stuff in the closet and the bottle turned out to be part of the toss....took a few days until I figured it out....took me a bit of time to get past that one!
Yeah, there were a few curse words spread about. It took me a while to accept that there was no way out but to buy all new. That really sucks considering I had planned to replace my current set up with a front runner style system.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-07-2018, 11:57 AM   #419
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Moving on with my progress, I coated one more section of the floor pan with undercoating. I love the clean fresh look and added protection from heat and noise.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-07-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #420
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

After a thorough cleaning on the drivers side of the motor, I moved over to the passenger side. I had previously undercoated inside the fender and front floor pan. With that dry i was able to focus on the motor. The A/C compressor was pulled and inspected. The brackets were polished and reassembled. I had a high pitched squeal coming from the compressor, so it will be replaced.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-08-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:34 PM   #421
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Question Re: "Elwood" the 77_remix

ken.
your attention to detail is exceptional as well as your focus. I wait with baited breath to see what is up your sleeve each day.... LOL. I do have a few "general" questions for you though. you probably have covered this at some point (but just recently decided to try my hand at a "squarebody" Would you recommend a air suspension on a daily driver (around 20mi/day) or for maintanence a static drop suspension? i would be looking at around a 3-5 drop. i know opinions vary but i trust your knowledge & experience. thank you for the time & now.....

..... back to your regular scheduled entertainment....
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:53 AM   #422
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
ken.
your attention to detail is exceptional as well as your focus. I wait with baited breath to see what is up your sleeve each day.... LOL. I do have a few "general" questions for you though. you probably have covered this at some point (but just recently decided to try my hand at a "squarebody" Would you recommend a air suspension on a daily driver (around 20mi/day) or for maintanence a static drop suspension? i would be looking at around a 3-5 drop. i know opinions vary but i trust your knowledge & experience. thank you for the time & now.....

..... back to your regular scheduled entertainment....
I truly appreciate your kind words of support.
If an air suspension is done properly there is no reason why it cant be used on a daily driver. Keep in mind almost every big rig, and motor home on the road use air springs.

Air suspension becomes unreliable when its installed improperly, or low quality components are used in the system. The bags and air lines must be DOT approved, and the valves must be bubble tight. Go with RideTech and you will never go wrong.

With that said, if your only looking at a 3/5 drop I would start with static drop. Use 3" front spindles unless your sticking with 15" wheels. Add a flip kit in the rear and your set. If you decide to add air later you still keep everything you have bought already.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #423
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Chris and I made a discovery this week. As long as i have owned this truck, i never knew it had once had a heater core seeping. Apparently the core had been replaced years ago, but no one fixed the mess it left behind.

While stripping out the cab in preperation for the ACC carpet kit from Brothers Truck Parts we ran across a crusty carpet pad hiding some rust. Chris removed the old carpet and pad, then stripped the pan to raw metal. Once clean, we coated it with Rust-Mort and let it do its job.

For those that are not familiar with Rust Mort, it is an acidic compound that converts rust to an insoluble black coating prior to applying body filler, primer or top coat. Once dried, it shpuld be treated with a sealer primer, followed by a top coat for protection.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-08-2018, 03:29 PM   #424
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

ken,
thank you for the response. my previous '72 had a static drop (2.5 -3") & it seemed to ride ok (a little "choppy"). i would for sure follow your advice & go with a name brand setup. i didn't think about the keeping components with static drop - good thought! I appreciate your valued input again thank you for taking time to share your escapades with us fellow truck nuts & may the "truck gods" smile upon you this coming weekend!!
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:39 PM   #425
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
ken,
thank you for the response. my previous '72 had a static drop (2.5 -3") & it seemed to ride ok (a little "choppy"). i would for sure follow your advice & go with a name brand setup. i didn't think about the keeping components with static drop - good thought! I appreciate your valued input again thank you for taking time to share your escapades with us fellow truck nuts & may the "truck gods" smile upon you this coming weekend!!
I have always used a 3" spindle and cut a coil off the stock one up front. I prefer this over aftermarket lowering springs as they tend to be too soft.
Recently I had a guy tell me he uses a C20 replacement spring cut down instead of a C10. He has done several trucks and loves the results.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"