The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #626
RodsGreen10

Re: 1976 Square "Simple Green"

Also a little tip about the FiTech.
IAC Step.
To adjust bring vehicle up to FiTechs idea of operating temp 170. On the handheld find IAC Step. Turn idle screw in on FiTech about 1/16-1/2. What you are wanting to see on IAC Step is 5-10. When you see 5-10 turn vehicle off for 30 sec. This will reset the TPS. Make sure to make adjustments before fan kicks on. Because the FITech will idle up 30 rpms when the fans kick on.
RodsGreen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:09 PM   #627
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Subscribed for the FITECH experience.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:59 PM   #628
RodsGreen10

Another little tip. If your vehicle won't start on first crank.
Turn key over do not start listen for inject click turn key off turn key back on listen for click start vehicle l. If it starts after second click or maybe a 3rd injector click. Then you need to go into the handheld under crank and raise the crank fuel up. The amount will depend on your motor. So you will have to test it a few times.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:25 PM   #629
Liltroy

Well I see you went Fuel injected. Good deal bro. Now come over here and put mine back together for me so I can drive it. Lol
Liltroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:51 PM   #630
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liltroy View Post
Well I see you went Fuel injected. Good deal bro. Now come over here and put mine back together for me so I can drive it. Lol
Yep I couldn't take it anymore. Lol. Plus FiTech has it going on.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:36 AM   #631
RodsGreen10

Took truck out yesterday for a little drive. And I need to find the setting for the transition fuel from cruising to wot felt a little sluggish for about 1 sec lol. I saw it on the website but can't find it on the handheld. On FiTechs website they have a more in depth handheld list and definitions and options for changing settings. Which IMO they should include that with the kit. Cause you can't give a man buttons and options and not expect him to go hitting and changing settings lol.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:12 PM   #632
RodsGreen10

Another FiTech tip for you all.
On initial setup you have a setting choice on cam. Now most of you should now how radical of a cam you have but if not this will help a little.
If you less than 10 vacuum at idle choose 4 race/big cam
If you have more than 10 choose 3 mild cam
Those are choices for bigger cams. That will help you decide on the correct setting.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:36 PM   #633
ray1970

Ray here.
The cam thing is very good to know.
On what page did you find this in the manual? lol

As you most likely know the butterfly's on the Fitech run 1 to 1 unlike most holly stile carbs which can make throttle control fun or challenging .
..Out of boredom I changed mine to progressive to see what would happen
1.Much easer throttle pull.
2.Toned down throttle response. This made it easer to drive in the rain..at 550hp this can be an eye opener in the low gears.
3.Not as much fun..but just as fast.

Ray.
ray1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:46 PM   #634
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Ray here.
The cam thing is very good to know.
On what page did you find this in the manual? lol

As you most likely know the butterfly's on the Fitech run 1 to 1 unlike most holly stile carbs which can make throttle control fun or challenging .
..Out of boredom I changed mine to progressive to see what would happen
1.Much easer throttle pull.
2.Toned down throttle response. This made it easer to drive in the rain..at 550hp this can be an eye opener in the low gears.
3.Not as much fun..but just as fast.

Ray.
Lol yep the manual left that out. But I like to get technical with Ken and Jeremy over at FiTech. See if they are blowing smoke up my ass or not. They have been straight shooters with me so far. And Ray it's all about fun when you get over 550 hp. Now with the Holley style you are capable of running 1:1 just change out that little rod on the linkage but I am sure you know that. In reality 1:1 is for racing applications and progressive is for street.
Also Ray if you are going to post at least tell the guys what you did to make it progressive. Don't leave people hanging haha.
I like the 1:1 that is how I ran my carbs but I like to let it all hang out also...
Old 12-28-2015, 07:26 PM   #635
RodsGreen10

FiTech has released all kinds of goodies all your fueling needs to all the EFI kits you can handle. Go to Jegs and type in FiTech lol they have it all. 400-1200 HP EFI kits gauges fuel filter fuel line kits FCC and inline pumps a hell of a deal on a intank pump 340lph. I got in on this seems like before most. But damn son now is the time to jump on it from what Jegs has now!! Keep it up FiTech!!
Old 12-28-2015, 07:28 PM   #636
LostMy65

Summit has the FCC for $375 with free shipping.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 12-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #637
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Summit has the FCC for $375 with free shipping.
This is true also. Summit has jumped on the bandwagon also lol.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #638
RodsGreen10

I have a issue to report....
My handheld will not store datalog files anymore!!! A quick call to Jeremy at FiTech and I have another handheld headed my way. Am I happy it won't data log no. Am I happy no questions asked send me a new one Hell Yes!!! Everything else works on the handheld but the logging part. **** happens it is electronic device part of it. But I will say this is what I would want as a customer if something would mess up. I hate when a company wants you to send it back and then they will send you another one. So that is the first and only issue to date.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:37 PM   #639
LostMy65

I agree with your post about the big names.
Even if they throw something out there in the price range of Fitech, I still think Fitech is the better choice for the fact that this is their meat and potatoes. They want to grab a big chunk of the market and give customers a good first impression.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 12-28-2015, 07:40 PM   #640
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
I agree with your post about the big names.
Even if they throw something out there in the price range of Fitech, I still think Fitech is the better choice for the fact that this is their meat and potatoes. They want to grab a big chunk of the market and give customers a good first impression.
Yes sir!! Bingo!!
And Holley has already tried to buy FiTech. FiTech said nope. So Holley bootlegs FiTech design with not as many features. Shows FiTech knows what's up!! And IMO is embarrassing for Holley.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:54 PM   #641
Liltroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodsGreen10 View Post
I have a issue to report....
My handheld will not store datalog files anymore!!! A quick call to Jeremy at FiTech and I have another handheld headed my way. Am I happy it won't data log no. Am I happy no questions asked send me a new one Hell Yes!!! Everything else works on the handheld but the logging part. **** happens it is electronic device part of it. But I will say this is what I would want as a customer if something would mess up. I hate when a company wants you to send it back and then they will send you another one. So that is the first and only issue to date.
yep,quality issues happen. I just called smith&wesson two days before christmas because a little piece of metal broke off the spring rod of my wifes 9mm shield while we were at the range. didnt cause a malfunction but I didnt want my wife carrying a firearm with even the tinyest thing wrong with it. They emailed me back the next day and the parts suppossed to be here tomorrow. Gotta love that kind of customer service! Thats why I own five S&W firearms! And thats why if i was ever doing an FI swap on a smallblock I would go with FITech. They're new on the market but I hear nothing but good stories so far unlike the holley, edelbrock, and FAST systems where I keep seeing mixed reviews.
Liltroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:00 PM   #642
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liltroy View Post
yep,quality issues happen. I just called smith&wesson two days before christmas because a little piece of metal broke off the spring rod of my wifes 9mm shield while we were at the range. didnt cause a malfunction but I didnt want my wife carrying a firearm with even the tinyest thing wrong with it. They emailed me back the next day and the parts suppossed to be here tomorrow. Gotta love that kind of customer service! Thats why I own five S&W firearms! And thats why if i was ever doing an FI swap on a smallblock I would go with FITech. They're new on the market but I hear nothing but good stories so far unlike the holley, edelbrock, and FAST systems where I keep seeing mixed reviews.
I agree with you 100%. Next time you go to the range let me know I will bring the wife along and we all can go have some fun.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:46 AM   #643
RodsGreen10

Still no luck finding a clip that will fit the wiring harness plugs. Everyone I have found online is not big enough to fit. The clips I have found are correct for the plug but I need to find a larger size. When I spoke with the guys over at FiTech they said they just use zip ties. Well damn I want a clip. The main wiring harness is long enough to run to the back of the cab of the truck. Zip ties are driving me crazy holding the plug lol. And yes go buy a bag of zip ties you will need them.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:53 AM   #644
RodsGreen10

I can use these but this is not what I am wanting to use.
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2015, 06:57 AM   #645
RUN GMC

Do you have a pic of what you want? So we can help you find it.....try Del City. www.delcity.net. Nevermind just saw a picture after I posted but try Delcity if you have not yet......

Last edited by RUN GMC; 12-29-2015 at 07:03 AM.
RUN GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:14 AM   #646
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUN GMC View Post
Do you have a pic of what you want? So we can help you find it.....try Del City. www.delcity.net. Nevermind just saw a picture after I posted but try Delcity if you have not yet......
I have looked at Delcity also clips and fasteners. But can't seem to find the right size. I can find the style that actually slides into the harness plug but not large enough. I sent Jeremy a email this morning about it I will see if he knows what will fit.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:04 AM   #647
RodsGreen10

Another FiTech tip.
Datalogging.
Start Vehicle.
On handheld scroll to dashboard press joystick "click" on dashboard.
When handheld displays dashboard with all the different parameters showing press the joystick "click" you will get a confirmation across the screen datalogging on.
To stop data logging press joystick "click" you will get a confirmation data logging off.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #648
swampbog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev-O View Post
I am using the FiTech 40005 inline kit. I didn't want their Command Center under my hood and I didn't want to install a new tank under the bed so I added a 1/2 pickup to the factory sender and mounted the pump to the frame rail. I'm pretty sure the inline pump is just a rebranded Walbro. I shopped around and could not beat the price of the FiTech kit.

Question for you, are you using the vacuum advance on your HEI?
Hows the hose on the inline kit? From what I've been seeing it's a synthetic based rubber hose.
I'm not wanting something I will need to replace in a few years. My vehicle sits mainly all winter and a good percentage of the rest of the year, with all the crap gas (ethanol) sitting in my lines for those long periods of times I know it will take it's toll on anything but PTFE (teflon) hoses.
I have to replace all my fuel lines anyways and since I'm only going to do it once (fingers crossed) I might as well put in something that will last the rest of my life with the vehicle. I have 5/16 feeder line and 1/4 return line. I'm going to be upgrading my hard lines to stainless steel 3/8 tubing for both feeder and return and going to a PTFE hose from tank to filter/pump/filter to hard line and from hard line to engine. And of course all the correct fittings I need but I'm going to use their filters since they seem to have the best price but I'm going to a Walbro GSL392 In-Line Fuel Pump Walbro GSL392 In-Line Fuel Pump instead of their pump since it comes mounting kit and it's a Walbro. I figured will all cost me just under $500 to run fuel to the FiTech, that is unless I talk myself in to a in-tank pump.
I'm not doing this until spring so I have a couple of months to talk myself in to the in-tank pump
swampbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:57 AM   #649
RodsGreen10

Swamp The fuel line portion of your post. That is why I used this below. I replaced everything with this fuel line. My entire fuel system is using this fuel line. And good choice on the Walbro. I tried another brand as you have seen and right back to a Walbro.
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2015, 10:22 AM   #650
swampbog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodsGreen10 View Post
Swamp The fuel line portion of your post. That is why I used this below. I replaced everything with this fuel line. My entire fuel system is using this fuel line. And good choice on the Walbro. I tried another brand as you have seen and right back to a Walbro.
I'm not only looking at the Earls Speed Seal but Fragola 6000 series hose, I want/need aluminum and steel fittings. Steel is for my steel hard lines. I have a thing about the corrosive action between aluminum and steel, especially when it's wet and since I mud run it'll get wet and probably stay wet for a day or two afterwards because mud traps the moisture.
I thought of going with PTFE for the full run but I keep going back to the hard line for under the Jeep because it's smaller and it seems more rugged (just a mind set I need to break). Plus the cost is another factor since I wasn't originally plan on doing a EFI swap but when they came out with this I made the jump. I was going to be doing a gear swap and getting bigger tires (37" tall) but that might get put off for another year, along with the axle swap (dana 60 and corp 14 bolt), hydraulic assist steering, frame strengthening, and the engine rebuilt for more power (looking for 450-500 hp out of the old AMC 401). God by the time I'm done I'll have enough to but a new vehicle in it. Aww who am I kidding, it'll be more than a new vehicle. While I'm being honest, I'll never be done
swampbog is offline   Reply With Quote