The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2022, 08:52 PM   #11
gsinon

Re: Long Time Coming......

Tonights installment of what did Glenn do is brought to you by the letter F for fuel! Lol...

I hope I don't insult anyone on there when I say, I HATE when people install their fuel filler up through the bed floor. But then again, what other people do to their own truck is none of my business right!? But for me that was a zero option. That is the reason I used the 41-48 Ford passenger car tank as it has the side fill. I did want the fuel filler/cap to blend in so I decided on one of these steel flush top weld in fillers. I had to first figure out a good placement. There is a slight arc to it so I made a pattern. Then after moving the pattern around I found the perfect spot from both top to bottom and side to side for the contour to line up. This will be very useful when its time to do the filler work and blend it all in.

Here is the fender mounted on the bed as normal. Dig the 49-50 Merc taillights!!

Hole cut....

Threaded bung welded to the fender from underneath. There is a very slight "step" milled into the bung so that the inner edge sits flush with the fender.

And then the cap threads on and then when it bottoms out you push the top down and rotate it a 1/4 turn so it ends up being flush with the fender. When I need gas you rotate it a 1/4 turn counter clockwise until it pops up, then spin it off.

A little filler work followed by primer and paint and it will virtually disappear in the fender.

1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829856
gsinon is offline   Reply With Quote