The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #1
beaterku

Power Steering Lines

Good afternoon everyone. I am swapping the engine in my truck and was going to replace the the power steering line, but I have run in to a discrepancy.

I am looking at Delco parts 36355230 and 36355240.

Part 36355230 is on the left with with the correct fittings on both ends, but the bends are not correct at the box.

Part 36355240 is on the right with the correct bend at the box, but with an adapter fitting at the pump. I am not too keen on adapters, but the line looks correct other than that.

What is everyone using for replacement lines? I was also going to swing by the local hydraulic shop and see if they can swage a new hose in the middle.

Thanks!

EDIT: Added a picture of my current high pressure line.
Attached Images

Last edited by beaterku; 10-16-2018 at 03:19 PM.
beaterku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:00 AM   #2
my kids toy

Re: Power Steering Lines

Hyd shops will not be able to cut hose and replace but they can cut the metal tube and use a compression fitting.
my kids toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
beaterku

I'm going to swing by their shop today and see what they can do. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I took my existing hoses (some metric and some SAE) to the hydraulic shop. They cut the ends off and put the braided hose in place of the rubber. So, I have metric fittings on one end and SAE on the other. I was hoping they could re-bend a couple of the hoses for better routing, but they could not. Just make sure you know where you want them to be cut at. I made templates out of wire clothes hangers. They got close, but one of them is about two inches shorter than I would have liked it to be. I still have to have my low pressure hoses made.
Attached Images

1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:19 AM   #5
beaterku

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
I took my existing hoses (some metric and some SAE) to the hydraulic shop. They cut the ends off and put the braided hose in place of the rubber. So, I have metric fittings on one end and SAE on the other. I was hoping they could re-bend a couple of the hoses for better routing, but they could not. Just make sure you know where you want them to be cut at. I made templates out of wire clothes hangers. They got close, but one of them is about two inches shorter than I would have liked it to be. I still have to have my low pressure hoses made.
Looks good! Thanks for the info!
Old 10-17-2018, 12:00 PM   #6
Bigdav160

The adapter would be correct for a factory installation. At least it was for my '72 K20.

It looks like you removed the flow valve out of your steering pump. Make sure it goes back in with it's spring. Then install the line.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:30 PM   #7
beaterku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
The adapter would be correct for a factory installation. At least it was for my '72 K20.

It looks like you removed the flow valve out of your steering pump. Make sure it goes back in with it's spring. Then install the line.
Thanks. Yeah I removed it to swap over to the new LS pump. Now I am messing with trying to figure out replacement lines so it may be a moot point.