The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2018, 07:49 PM   #1
MfBox

Plasti Dip?

Anyone tried this stuff? Everyone tells me it protects the rim and is completly removeable if you dont like it. Im thinking of trying to go all black on my american racing wheels
MfBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
jeffahart

Re: Plasti Dip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MfBox View Post
Anyone tried this stuff? Everyone tells me it protects the rim and is completly removeable if you dont like it. Im thinking of trying to go all black on my american racing wheels
I think it's great to test a color for a rim if you're on the fence about buying black rims. I sprayed my shackle mounts and iron hawse white. Hated it, peeled it off... glad I didn't paint or powder coat white. Black looks much better. The thicker the coat the easier the peel off!

j
Old 02-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
MfBox

Awesome! I think i found a new project once it warms up here in colorado
MfBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:34 PM   #4
retrax

Wash and scrub well with some Dawn dish detergent. Make sure they are completely dry. Do a final wipe down with windex. Make 100 percent sure they are totally dry. Spray a light coating about 25 percent coverage, wait 20 minutes, spray about 2/3 coverage on second coat, wait 20 minutes, full coat third coat. Wait 20 minutes between every coat. I'd do 5 or 6 coats total. Let dry over night.

Don't spray so heavy that it runs. Make sure you store your cans in a temperature at least 70 degrees and spray in a temperature that is at least 60 degrees. Wipe spray tip off if it starts to spatter. Make sure you turn your cans upside down and spray to clear the nozzle every time you set the cans down. Also, shake well before and during use.
retrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:43 PM   #5
MIKECHEVY69

It’s great I’ve used it a lot however I’ve seen if you leave it on for a long long time it gets tough to remove especially if you live in a hot climate like I do in Phoenix
MIKECHEVY69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
Deej-79

My 97 grill is done in black, it's been on for a couple years and besides some chips and scratches it's still in good shape. And to be honest I didn't do much prep before, basically wiped the chrome and billet with a window cleaner and sprayed
Deej-79 is offline   Reply With Quote