The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #26
Maximus

Re: My Build - 1955 2nd Series Short Bed Stepside

Didn't get all that much done this week but I was able to set my capet in place as well as put my reupholstered bench seat in place to see how it all looks. There is still some more work to do inside the cab but I want to get an idea of how things fit together and look. I also got my rebuilt carb from the UPS man so i thought I would throw that on the truck as well. Rain is coming so I probably wont get much more done this week but my next step is to get the cab/fenders/doors all aligned better and bolted down. After that I might run it up the street again for some more motivation to get the bed moving and get the wiring (primarily brake lights) going. anyways, enough about me, here are some pics!

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #27
50seven

69 Mustang Tank Fits Nice

I was thinking of making one but that sure looks nice
50seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #28
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50seven View Post
69 Mustang Tank Fits Nice

I was thinking of making one but that sure looks nice
Yea, I had to cut about 1/2" of the inner lower frame rails to fit it in. My only issue is that of the gauge. Ford used a completly different OHM measure for their sending units. I have a 55-59 sending unit so I will probably bend it to match the mustangs as close as i can, for now I have the mustang sending unit it so I can run the truck.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #29
OKGMC4

Was that front glass as hard as it looks? I'm not looking forward to mine and was thinking of paying a glass shop to get it in. I'm still recoiling from a bad windshield experience from several years ago...I actually thought it would be a good idea to have my wife help me with the one in my 79 TA. Needless to say it reqired TWO windshields...

69 long bed Chevy turned 67 gmc jimmy roadster:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851167
OKGMC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #30
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKGMC4 View Post
Was that front glass as hard as it looks? I'm not looking forward to mine and was thinking of paying a glass shop to get it in. I'm still recoiling from a bad windshield experience from several years ago...I actually thought it would be a good idea to have my wife help me with the one in my 79 TA. Needless to say it reqired TWO windshields...
It actually wasnt as bad as i thought... easier than the rear wrap-around (which i STILL cant get the darn locking strip in...)
I have never done windows before tackling my rear, then front glass.
The windshield was an older piece of glass, I cut it out of my doner '59 cab that USED to be my small window cab before i swapped cabs.

the most time spent was getting the rubber on the glass, getting the 'extra' rubber properly alligned with each side (the rubber that wraps around the interior sides and top) and getting the trim set in the rubber. After all of that was done i put the glass in. the glass didnt take more than 30 minutes to get in, and another hour or two getting the last corner in (could not for the life of me get the last corner in! had to use a suction cup in the middle of the class to pull the glass toward the corner, I think i was not 100% centered when i started in the lower passenger corner so when i got to the drivers corner it was hanging out of the opening ...

I did the same rope trick that most of the people in the forums have mentioned, and had a second person on the outside putting pressure on the glass. As i finished the last corner, i POUNDED with an open palm on the glass to get it in. I think having 20+ year old glass helped as its probably thicker (even though its scratched and has a couple small chips) it survived my hits like a champ.

all-in-all it wasn't THAT hard, you just have to be very patient, do some searches on windshield installs, there are alot of discussions in the 60-66 forums as well.

I still haven't sealed the rubber in with any sort of non-hardening sealant but need to because the rubber is bending off the glass at the bottom corner (because of the 90+ degree angle in the two corners)

Other than that it looks great, I expected it to be harder IMHO
Old 10-11-2011, 08:52 AM   #31
JadXtreme

Wow. Your truck is amazing. I'm encouraged to see that you perservered with your build. I've had my 55 2nd series for 1.5 years now and all I've been able to do with it is remove the front end and remove the bed and pull the 235 and 3 speed. It get's frustrating just seeing it in the back yard sitting there week end and week out but after going through your thread, I'm encouraged that it will eventually get done.

I like your whole Pontiac engine and drive train. I wish I would have gotten a Trans Am for my front clip donor because I heard it handled better than the Camaro clips but I made a pretty good profit from my Camaro anyhow. I plan to use a Oldsmobile 455 and a sm465 tranny. I know that my tranny isn't conventional because it's a truck tranny, but I got a good deal on it and I like the fact that it is practically bullet proof.

I've found a 55 or 56 that is a custom cab that I'm trying to get a hold of. If I get that truck, it's got so many more good parts than mine that I would make my 55 a parts truck and use that one. Hopefully I'll find a way to get it.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #32
apache200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
spent the weekend with glass on my mind. fought the rear window, got it generally in place but still have not gotten the glass in all the way. its bulging out and I have not been able to persuade it in yet... but I took a brake on the rear to do the front windshield. Because my cab is pre-drilled for the rear deluxe trim i thought I would replace it as well as adding the deluxe trim to the front windshield. after fighting and fighting I got the aftermarket deluxe trim in trim and on the glass. then put windshield in. surprisingly the front didn't fight me as much as the rear.

again, the rear still has alot of fighting to go but at least it IS in place and the rubber is holding it in all the way around the glass.

Also installed aftermarket accelerator pedal and movin to get the doors hung

Where did you buy your chrome for the front windshield?
Old 10-12-2011, 10:59 PM   #33
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadXtreme View Post
I like your whole Pontiac engine and drive train. I wish I would have gotten a Trans Am for my front clip donor because I heard it handled better than the Camaro clips but I made a pretty good profit from my Camaro anyhow. I plan to use a Oldsmobile 455 and a sm465 tranny. I know that my tranny isn't conventional because it's a truck tranny, but I got a good deal on it and I like the fact that it is practically bullet proof.

I've found a 55 or 56 that is a custom cab that I'm trying to get a hold of. If I get that truck, it's got so many more good parts than mine that I would make my 55 a parts truck and use that one. Hopefully I'll find a way to get it.
Thanks for the nice words, it is encouraging to think that my work-in-progress is seen to other people as a nice truck! I am only weeks away from driving it so im getting pretty amped up

As for the trans-am front end, the differences are the sway bar, possibly springs and possibly the steering box. All of these parts bolt on, so its not like you couldn't change things later, the main thing is they use the identical front subframe. Don't give up on your project, besides the best part about owning these cars/trucks is the build! and buy as many parts trucks as you can afford to buy/store! haha, i have changed my cab 3 times, my front end 3 times, my doors 3 times (about to buy a more rust-free set of doors, for the 4th-set on this truck!)
you can never have too many spare parts in my eyes! you can always sell off the unused parts later. just DONT sell any parts before you get your truck together! you might just sell something you could have used! ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apache200 View Post
Where did you buy your chrome for the front windshield?
I actually spent about 2 weeks looking for the cheapest trim i could find (probably not the wisest choice now that i think back on it!) but after I couldn't find the trim from Classic Truck Parts I had to start looking for a source, and found my trim from the company "American Classic Truck Parts" from www.americanclassic.com the website is very primitave and I was sceptical to toss out my credit card but I figured hell, I can always contact my CC Company if i had issues. After I placed my order I didnt really get an email, but did get a confirmation on the website, so SAVE THAT CONFIRMATION! - Because I didn't get an email I called the company like 2 days after the order and I spoke to a human, in america, and they told me the item shipped. The box was destroyed by the shipping company which made me real nervous but when I unpacked the trim it was all untouched. I have nothing to compare the quality/thickness too because I dont have any original trim and I have not seen Brothers Trucks or other suppliers trim, but I was happy and it seems to fit fine. It was also notably cheaper than the other parts suppliers. Before shipping it is $125, it was shipped to me for $149 and change. I was happy with that!

Here is a link to the site I bought mine from if you choose to buy from the same supplier.

like i said, it all seemed a little shady, but I really had zero issued in the end with them.

http://www.americanclassic.com/asp/d...ype=to&exyear=
Old 10-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #34
apache200

Ok thanks for the help I have been in search of this chrome to.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #35
Maximus

Spent some time last weekend and today working on my doors. My driver door is in relatively good condition for a 55 year old part, however there is some rust issues. The driver door had some areas where the metal was peeled back by the previous owner, maybe to investigate the rust damage? anyways, I cut out the damaged area and shaped some sheet metal to fill the holes, I wasnt too thrilled on how it turned out, but its alot better than it was... nothing a little bondo cant solve... Shaping the crease in the middle of the door was frustrating. The more productive task was replacing the lower hinge pocket on my passenger door. it was completely rotted out, but somehow the inner and outer skins are in surprisingly good condition. Thus I had no interest of cutting the skin to repair the hinge. I opted to instead drill out the spotwelds and spotweld the new lower hinge in. I know its debatable as to whether the hinge could be strong enough without a full weld, but my theory is simple... the original pocket was spot welded on... why cant the replacement be? I drilled out the spotwelds, and when i was done with that i drilled about 15 more holes and filled them all. The hinge pocket feals SOLID but the real test will be when I hang the door. May have to reinforce more later...

Here are some photos of my door work... remember, I have 10 years of mechanical knowledge, but minimal patch/panel repair... so be easy on me! hah...

Driver door skin repair:

Passenger Door Pocket Repair

Ordered replacement Hinge pocket from Classicparts.com

Old 10-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #36
waybad

I like it!
waybad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #37
Kim57

looking good.
I would think the spot welds would be just fine.
Kim
Old 11-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #38
Maximus

Weather has been hit or miss in northern california so I havent got too much done on the truck, especially considering that I am already starting on another project before this one is finished... but this weekend I was able to get some more progress done... After my amateur door work I primered the inside/outside of the doors in an epoxy primer and then shot the insides satin black. the paint does not look professional but it well exceeds the quality of government work!
Now that the interior panels are painted I can install the door hardware, 1-piece glass kit and get the doors mounted. Once the doors are mounted I can fit the cab/front fenders... THEN after wiring the brake lights I can drive the truck around!!
getting closer...

Old 11-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #39
Kim57

Looking good, the paint came out nice.
Kim
Old 11-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #40
JadXtreme

Yea, and you can't say that "I can't see it from my house."

It looks really good. I saw a 55 2nd series at a car show a few weeks ago, it was slick. It had a Mustang 2 front end and a Camaro rear end flipped to lower it. It had the one piece door glass. The paint was a burnt orange color with chrome bumpers and a chrome grill, custom dash and gauges. OBS chevy bench seat. It even had a power antenna that came up behind the pass. door. I talked with the guy about 30 minutes. It had a 350 and a th350. And it took from 1999 till last year to get it on the road. Just nice.

Makes me wish mine was farther along. I know that you can't wait till you can get behind the wheel and flog it a couple of times.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #41
Maximus

Thanks guys!

Hey JadXtreme, I like how your also using a BOP large engine/4speed. Keep on plugging away! its pretty exciting as I am getting so close, but as with any build... As soon as I see an end in sight I start hunting the next project! I really need to learn how to stay to ONE project!!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #42
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Thanks guys!

I really need to learn how to stay to ONE project!!
Or two. I done shop is closed. No more projects after I finish my truck.lol
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:45 AM   #43
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Or two. I done shop is closed. No more projects after I finish my truck.lol
two projects??? I think a man should have at least 4, my problem is just making sure I only work on one at a time, then move to the next.

some people call that hoarding.. i call it collecting!
Old 11-25-2011, 12:57 AM   #44
Maximus

More progress!!!!
After reviewing the modifications required to install the one-piece window kit, I decided to just take the vent window setup from my spare doors and install it in my doors. After the paint cured I installed the door window hardware from the old door... It will probably be swapped out later with newer glass/frames but I wanted to get the glass in so I can install the doors.
Bear in mind that my poor iPhone had a very difficult time with the light contrast on the black doors...
Doors with window hardware, all primed up on the exterior, painted on the interior

Then I installed new Doors with new hinges

After I installed the doors, I put new locks in the door handles and installed them

Then I test-fit the door panels

and figured I would throw the door handles on as well

And I didn't take much of the exterior, so here is the one photo I have off hand of how the passenger door looks from the exterior

Now I can finish fitting the front end and worry about the brake light wiring... almost time to go cruising!
Thanks for looking...
Old 11-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #45
Kim57

Looking good. You're making good progress.
Kim
Old 12-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #46
Shanehenrymusic

Looks good - I just bought a frame that was set up pretty close to the way you did yours. Did you go back with the original wheelbase or extend it forward an inch? Here's a pic of mine.
Attached Images

Shanehenrymusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:11 AM   #47
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanehenrymusic View Post
Looks good - I just bought a frame that was set up pretty close to the way you did yours. Did you go back with the original wheelbase or extend it forward an inch? Here's a pic of mine.
I think I did move it an inch, but I can't remember it has been so long hah... I followed the No-Limit video step by step.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:36 AM   #48
Maximus

Not a ton of progress but I did get my front end bolted down and alligned better. The hood hinges are messed up but the fenders and rad support are firmly in place. I also drove it around my yard, only to find my brake pedal is riding on the cab and sticking. gotta pull it and file more clearance, and maybe add a return spring...

got a few good shots of it outside the carport though.
Don't mind the locking strip on the roof, I still can't get that damn thing in!

Old 01-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #49
Maximus

the last month has been pretty quiet on the truck. I did manage to find a much better conditioned firebird wheel for my column, so sadly the hot gold one had to go! hah...
Before:

After:

Old 01-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #50
Kim57

IMHO the new wheel looks better.
Kim