The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #176
made2drag

Re: My Build - 1955 2nd Series Short Bed Stepside

nice build!
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #177
Maximus

Well its been a while since i have posted in my build thread, and not much has happened since the last post. Caught up in several other projects around the house and will be getting to the bodywork of my cab and front end soon, but wanted to throw up a few pics of my new purchase...

Sometimes the time to buy something is when you need it, but for harder to find items, the time to buy them is WHEN YOU SEE THEM.

that being said, when I was looking for bed parts I really wanted to find a short fleet bed, but we all know how hard they are to come across... I ended up finding a mint aftermarket shortbed stepside bed all new and painted for a decent price, so I bought it last year... well I wasnt really LOOKING for a bed today, but as soon as I saw it I had to buy it.

Now i just have to figure out wether I am building another truck or whether I am swapping my stepside out... For some reason I think I might end up with a Pair of Task Forces

Here is the Shortbed Stepside bed I found. No tailgate, rotted bed but very decent sides. main dent in "bullet" was slide hammered and bondo'd 20+ years ago and is in decent shape, the tops of the fender flares were swapped at one point, but not the full arches, and there is a dent on top of the front of one bed side, but EASY to get to. Not banged up and NOT rusted away. I couldnt be happier to own this bed.

The best things come up when I am not looking for them, but sometimes just because im not looking for it, doesnt mean im not going to buy it!
The only thing ill add is it is pre-drilled for the deluxe trim and I WISH it was still there! but the Previous owner also said he also wished it was there because he knew it was worth $$$$$

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #178
Madd Doc

Wow nice find, that one is in better shape the one I got, those bullets can be a bear to straighten out. To bad on the trim but good find anyway.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...03#post6183103

“I would rather spend 2 hours making a part than spend $2.00 buying one”
Madd Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #179
Kim57

Very nice bed.
Kim
Old 04-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #180
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd Doc View Post
Wow nice find, that one is in better shape the one I got, those bullets can be a bear to straighten out. To bad on the trim but good find anyway.
I hope my bed is in better shape! I coughed up more than the $50 you used to steal your bed!
Granted, I only paid $300 for the bed I picked up, and I feel that it was a very good buy. although its going to lead to alot more spending! hah...
Old 04-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #181
lowdownstar
big guy

it's only money! spend it so i don't feel so bad for how much i've spent!
lol Nice looking bed and a great find even at $300

Ray
lowdownstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #182
Maximus

Okay, well after thinking long and hard I just couldnt see myself building a whole other 55-59 project, as they are both time consuming and expensive to put together, heck im 12+ years into mine and its not done. So I had 2 choices, put the fleet on my truck and off my nice step, or just get another truck to satisfy my need for a short fleet, and move this bed on. As luck were to have it, i chose the ladder.
Made a small profit on the bed, moved it on to a good new home where it will be making a happy 1955 pickup a nice fleet conversion.
What did i get to satisfy my short fleet itch?? well some of you guys will frown, others wont... but I found a Ford F100 that was just too good to pass up... (for a price ill never get a chevy for!!!!)
runs, drives, NO rust.

Anyways, back to the chevy. I finally took a photo of the truck with the new bed on it. With this bed, i just couldnt justify dumping this bed for the fleet... I also like the small touch of having the rear bed rail holes filled.

Last edited by Maximus; 04-27-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:25 AM   #183
Kim57

The bed looks good on the truck.
Kim
Old 10-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #184
Maximus

Hey guys, I haven't found motivation lately to do the required body work on the '55, so I did the only logical thing, bought another project.

This time i stayed in the chevy family with a 1972 K5 Blazer.
Its got the typical rust in the front floor, the A pillar has some damage, some rust in the cowl but the majority of the body is in excellent shape.
All original body panels and all original paint.
Single wall top with some damage, a donor hatch has been used and its in horrible shape but at least its there.
Here are some photos.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #185
Coupeguy2001

gotta hand it to you, I never heard of anybody off and onning it like you are for so long, and actually make any progress.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #186
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupeguy2001 View Post
gotta hand it to you, I never heard of anybody off and onning it like you are for so long, and actually make any progress.
Haha thanks.
I would have made more progress but the rear main puking oil made me pretty discouraged. I went through a summer-long debate as to whether or not I should just replace the motor with a 5.3 or similar, along with the rear main seal the left bank is burning oil and I don't know if I want to dump a ton of money into it.

Either way I will get to the 55's body work soon, but the wife is in full support of the K5 so its going to get some attention until its cleaned up a little.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:29 AM   #187
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

Any updates? Hope you stuck with the poncho motor...

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:41 PM   #188
Maximus

Sadly still no updates, haven't really made any progress in like 2 years. Detracted with all of my other projects. I keep the battery tended and start it up and run it to warm about once a month. thats about all the love she is gettin these days sadly, hopefully I will find time to get moving on it soon, or just suck it up and drive it while leaking the oil and just keep it topped off. I have revamped that little f100 I bought, and I have also been putting some cash into my blazer, as well as a 28' Model A Tudor hotrod with chevy drivetrain. As soon as I regain motivation i will be back with more!
Old 10-29-2015, 04:22 PM   #189
made2drag

love the build and i didnt know they made those radio's...i definitely need to get one of those
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote