The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2018, 09:58 PM   #126
jeffahart

Re: Anyone running CB's in their truck these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
If you want a period correct CB for our trucks ... it needs to be 23 channel. It was about 74-75 is when the FCC opened up the radios to 40 channels. You can pick up a very nice radio for about $40. Cobra, Uniden, Midland, Radio Shack (Realistic), Tram, Johnson, Royce, Browning... the list goes on.
Ah! Let me ask you a couple dumb questions. Since I was a casual user of CBs back in the day and not even a hobbyist; and I was never super sharp on the CB specs. Are the old 23 channel all tube? Aside from that, If I got a 23 channel period correct would I be hampered in listing to communications on the local trucking route? Here's why I ask. I live near a major interstate trucking route (Interstate 5). I would love to listen to the trucker banter when cruising around town. I would sacrifice period correct for period looking (if you know what I mean) to have actual commo. That would be so much fun. So, I'm thinking I want to make sure I can communicate with the modern units too.

I need to do some research too, instead of just beating up on you. But I've been wanting a CB, now I'm serious about putting a package together.

Hope this isn't too bad of a hijack... or highway robbery!

Thanks!

j
Old 02-23-2018, 10:12 PM   #127
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Ah! Let me ask you a couple dumb questions. Since I was a casual user of CBs back in the day and not even a hobbyist; and I was never super sharp on the CB specs. Are the old 23 channel all tube? Aside from that, If I got a 23 channel period correct would I be hampered in listing to communications on the local trucking route? Here's why I ask. I live near a major interstate trucking route (Interstate 5). I would love to listen to the trucker banter when cruising around town. I would sacrifice period correct for period looking (if you know what I mean) to have actual communication. That would be so much fun. So, I'm thinking I want to make sure I can communicate with the modern units too.

I need to do some research too, instead of just beating up on you. But I've been wanting a CB, now I'm serious about putting a package together.

Hope this isn't too bad of a hijack... or highway robbery!

Thanks!

j
Good Questions:
I believe all the CB's made in the era for our trucks were transistor ... possibly the late 60's were tubes.
As far as 23 channel or 40 channel. If its made in the 70's 99% of the people will have no clue if its a 23 or 40 channel radio. My Kris XL-50 is a 40 Channel while my Gladiator is 23 channel. I m still not sure which one I will use.
I also have a NOS Tube amp.

Channel 19 is the Highway channel so with a 23 or 40 channel you will hear the CB Chatter.
Driving your truck you will get into conversations with the truckers.
Attached Images

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:18 PM   #128
jeffahart

Quote:
Good Questions:
I believe all the CB's made in the era for our trucks were transistor ... possibly the late 60's were tubes.
As far as 23 channel or 40 channel. If its made in the 70's 99% of the people will have no clue if its a 23 or 40 channel radio. My Kris XL-50 is a 40 Channel while my Gladiator is 23 channel. I m still not sure which one I will use.
I also have a NOS Tube amp.

Channel 19 is the Highway channel so with a 23 or 40 channel you will hear the CB Chatter.
Driving your truck you will get into conversations with the truckers.
Thanks, I'll post what I get here. I'm going to tack a CB onto my charging system and battery upgrade.

Thanks again!

j
Old 02-24-2018, 02:46 AM   #129
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Thanks, I'll post what I get here. I'm going to tack a CB onto my charging system and battery upgrade.

Thanks again!

j
23 channel might be period correct, but I doubt if the Temporal Police are gonna get on your case if you get a 40 channel rig. The more channels, the more options to talk to folks.
As for Fluid State [tubes] vs Solid State [transistors] -- the first transistor radio came out in 1954 but they were spendy at first. The prices came down in the early'60s, and teenagers hadda have 'em. That's AM broadcast radio, Top 40 I mean. CB makers followed the industry.
My first Mobile CB rig was a Johnson Messenger I ['Whiteface''] in my '61 Mercedes 190 sedan, about 1969. Solid state rigs were out by then, but I was a kid in Jr College with not much money. I also used a Messenger One for a base station. The mobile got stolen -- bastards smashed a driver's side window and ripped it out. The model one had slots for 5 channels, only. You had to pick what freqs you wanted to use. My older brother then gave me his Messenger Two ["Blackface''] and I used it in the Merc. [The Messenger Two had slots for 10 crystals.] They were bulky ~9x10x18 inches deep, and real heavy, got hot when up and running, and a square-wave DC inverter buzzed constantly, but Boy Howdy, when you had it on you were really broadcasting! They did not sound tinny like the transistor sets. For a barefoot rig they were dynamite. [That's because they were built before the FCC got more particular and specified a transmitter in that class could not exceed 5 watts total, and 3-3.5 watts final output. Earlier, the Johnson company built their tube-type Messengers to deliver 5 watts solid output.] I still have a Whiteface and Blackface, but it would take an expert to restore them now. Channel selector won't turn on one. I also have a Messenger 4175 solid state 40 channel, I used in my '67 K/10 Suburban between 1993-98. I ran a Realistic TRC-421 in my '68 C/10 Stepside from 1978 til the mid '90s when I got a cellphone. The antenna mount, cable and Mic clip are still there, waiting to get hooked up again.
If enough of us put CBs in our trucks, that'll be something.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 02-24-2018 at 02:54 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #130
jeffahart

68OrangeSunshine: Thanks that was interesting. For sure, it would be kind of cool if there was a bit of CB resurgence. I real way to find like minded people not like facebook.

Another question for you guys. I was wondering what you use for speakers. I can't hear to good anymore and the truck is noisy on the road. I use under the seat speakers for my retrosound. I'm thinking of getting a new dash speaker and using it for the CB speaker. Do they come pre-wired for external speaker. Is there something I should be looking for. Don't want to miss the target when I pull the trigger. But when I get it installed I want to be able to hear it while driving. Or are the internal speakers good enough. What do you think.

Thanks!

j
Old 02-24-2018, 01:08 PM   #131
dmjlambert

All CBs I have seen come with a jack for you to hook up an external speaker. If your hearing isn't very good, you would probably benefit from hooking up an external speaker. The dash seems like a good place for one.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #132
70cst

Quote:
68OrangeSunshine: Thanks that was interesting. For sure, it would be kind of cool if there was a bit of CB resurgence. I real way to find like minded people not like facebook.

Another question for you guys. I was wondering what you use for speakers. I can't hear to good anymore and the truck is noisy on the road. I use under the seat speakers for my retrosound. I'm thinking of getting a new dash speaker and using it for the CB speaker. Do they come pre-wired for external speaker. Is there something I should be looking for. Don't want to miss the target when I pull the trigger. But when I get it installed I want to be able to hear it while driving. Or are the internal speakers good enough. What do you think.

Thanks!

j
Agreed that there is a jack on the back for an external speaker ...

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

Old 02-24-2018, 08:52 PM   #133
jeffahart

Thanks Guys! I'm going to purchase a radio and accessories this week. I'll post a photo when I get all the parts collected!

j
Old 02-25-2018, 12:37 AM   #134
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:

Thanks!

j
Most of us have an external speaker. I have one in the Stepside that's a 4x4 inch unit in it's own box. Mounted above the rearview mirror.
In the Jimmy I have a 2'' remote with a magnetic base. Attaches anywhere on the dash. Could also go on the ceiling if it didn't have that fiberglas top.
I've found, after a mis-spent youth hanging out with Rock'n'Roll bands, 4 years on the flightline working on Marine jets, and 45 years listening to the sweet songs of an SM465, the on-board speaker is never enough for mobile applications.

Another option would be to go ''Full Ratchet Jaw'' and get a Truckers' headset with 1 or 2 earpads and a noise-cancelling boom mike from a truckstop CB candystore. No idea on price. Never used one. Best place to shop is at a big truckstop. Big selection, good prices. External speakers are commonly found there.

The external speakers have a specific resistance. I can't remember if it's 4 or 8 ohms. They usually have a 2-line 1/8'' monaural plug to go in a like-sized jack on the back of most rigs. [The old Messengers, I had to solder/splice in my own.] Also plugging into the EXT SPKR jack usually kills the rig's on-board speaker as long as the plug's jacked-in.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 02-25-2018 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:39 AM   #135
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Thanks Guys! I'm going to purchase a radio and accessories this week. I'll post a photo when I get all the parts collected!

j
Roger, that.
What's your Handle gonna be?
Walrus Out and 10-10

Old 02-25-2018, 09:37 PM   #136
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Roger, that.
What's your Handle gonna be?
Walrus Out and 10-10
"Bleached Gold" I'm thinkin'. In celebration of painting my original Dark Gold truck to White!

Have another question! I've been perusing the web for a radio and doing some reading. I'm probably going to get a "Cobra 29LTD 40-Channel CB Radio" They have it local at the Ham Radio outlet in Burbank. Anyhow, I was also reading the reviews on Amazon. I looked at other accessories on Amazon and some reviews.

To the point. I looked at this coax cable: Below the review is the link. Is this true, could this happen? I assume reviewer actually meant during calibration. Can this happen? What do you think? I'm thinking to piece my system together from Ham radio outlet, so I can make sure I get quality connections!

Here's the guys review!

Garbage. I installed this on my truck's cb when I relocated it. The cheap plastic that connects to the cord that was longer than any other I've used before broke. I thought, no big deal. But upon further inspection, I found the metal inside had also broken. Not a huge deal except I discovered this when tuning my radio. The damage was done, however, as it fried my radio and is permanently distorted. Thus, rendered useless. Installed a few weeks outside the return date. Expensive lesson learned. I'll never use this or any of their products again.

https://www.amazon.com/RG-58A-Coaxia...ews-filter-bar

Thanks again!

J
Old 02-25-2018, 10:58 PM   #137
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
"Bleached Gold" I'm thinkin'. In celebration of painting my original Dark Gold truck to White!

Have another question! I've been perusing the web for a radio and doing some reading. I'm probably going to get a "Cobra 29LTD 40-Channel CB Radio" They have it local at the Ham Radio outlet in Burbank. Anyhow, I was also reading the reviews on Amazon. I looked at other accessories on Amazon and some reviews.

To the point. I looked at this coax cable: Below the review is the link. Is this true, could this happen? I assume reviewer actually meant during calibration. Can this happen? What do you think? I'm thinking to piece my system together from Ham radio outlet, so I can make sure I get quality connections!

Here's the guys review!

Garbage. I installed this on my truck's cb when I relocated it. The cheap plastic that connects to the cord that was longer than any other I've used before broke. I thought, no big deal. But upon further inspection, I found the metal inside had also broken. Not a huge deal except I discovered this when tuning my radio. The damage was done, however, as it fried my radio and is permanently distorted. Thus, rendered useless. Installed a few weeks outside the return date. Expensive lesson learned. I'll never use this or any of their products again.

https://www.amazon.com/RG-58A-Coaxia...ews-filter-bar

Thanks again!

J
Yeah. Sadly, probably true. Cobra is a good radio maker. Treat it with respect and don't cheap out on coax. You want RG-58/U, preferably USA-made. [May no longer be possible, but don't give up.] I liked Amphenol brand. The horror story is true -- if the final [transmit] stage does not resonate properly with the right 50-52 Ohm cable, the component will burn up. CB shops used to sell Dummy Loads [a PL-259 plug with an attached 52 Ohm resistor] for in-shop testing. As a high school kid, I once fried the final on my Whiteface and had to have a tech rewire in a new one. Not quite so expensive then, as the old tech sets were meant to be servicable, but it did set me back on a kid's budget. Possible a fried Final would total a new-tech solid state unit.
Get the best Co-Axial RG-58/U cable you can from your Ham shop. Those guys know what they're doing.

There used to be some historical friction between the Ham [Amatuer Radio] community and Citizen's Banders. They were forced to give up the 11 Meter Band [ca. 27Mhz] for the new Citizens Band by the Government. The original aim was a simplified business-friendly wavelength, with easy public access. The 11 Meter band was a favorite for its "Skip" properties. That is the ability for the signal to bounce off E-Layer and F-Layer belts in the earth's ionosphere. Fantastical transmissions to unlikely parts of the world were possible. Exchanging QSO cards is what Hams live for. But the FCC made the laws, so the Hams lost those frequencies.
Then, when it got popular and used by the whole crazy public in such a raucous manner, they got disgusted with CBers in general. Usually if you were casually discussing radio theory and the other guy got interested in your conversation, once you mentioned you were a CBer and not a Ham, he'd clam up. I never became a Ham because their equipment gets expensive, I'm not that strong on math, and I could never remember Morse Code. [Used to be a requirement to tap out, and read ''code'' for the basic Amatuer entry level.] I got into the CB hobby first, and it is what it is.
So tread lightly when dealing with Hams. Most of them are quite intelligent. I don't know if the resentment tradition has carried over, but as a group they don't consider CBers as their equals.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:11 PM   #138
jeffahart

68OrangeSunshine,

Great info. I've heard that about the Ham crowd. I'll test the water at the Ham outlet. A least I'll do a bit better armed with some knowledge. We'll see if they want to move a radio or gain a customer!

Thanks for taking the time to post the wealth of info!

j
Old 02-25-2018, 11:36 PM   #139
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Posted this to my personal build, but figured id share this with you guys, Pioneer made some really cool stuff back in the day including comms radios.

It would be really neat to put some of this old stuff in your truck.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:01 AM   #140
70cst

Talking about Pioneer ...

This is my NOS 727 8 Track Player that will be installed in my truck...

As with my CB Radio I am keeping my 8 Track close to period correct also. Ok - Back to CB's
Attached Images

Last edited by 70cst; 02-26-2018 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:11 AM   #141
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Talking about Pioneer ...

This is my NOS 727 8 Track Player that will be installed in my truck...

As with my CB Radio I am keeping my 8 Track close to period correct also.
That is freakin cool!
Old 02-26-2018, 12:30 AM   #142
'68OrangeSunshine

70CST: Your committment to period-correct detail is commendable.
MrBeast: Some very nice gear. Way over my head, and I would need a van to mount it all inside. Then the neighbors would wonder what I was up to, with all that stuff and strange antennae.
Jeffahart: Money talks... If they stock it, they want to sell it.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:55 AM   #143
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
70CST: Your committment to period-correct detail is commendable.
MrBeast: Some very nice gear. Way over my head, and I would need a van to mount it all inside. Then the neighbors would wonder what I was up to, with all that stuff and strange antennae.
Jeffahart: Money talks... If they stock it, they want to sell it.
Back in the day they didn't build these to be mounted in the dash, but under it, or many got mounted to the roof as well.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:00 AM   #144
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
Back in the day they didn't build these to be mounted in the dash, but under it, or many got mounted to the roof as well.
I mounted all my rigs under the dash, center. The screws for the heater control unit were perfect for the transceiver U-bracket. Sometimes slightly longer bolts were necessary [1/4-20 iirc].
In my '67 Suburban, I had a Johnson Messenger 4175 in that position. It was wide enough to serve as a shelf for a police scanner, and on top of that had a flat space for one of those 'Mercury capsule' type coffee cups. I had a 2 hole Alpine cassette receiver, AM/FM in the normal dash position. External 2-way speaker in the ceiling above the rearview mirror.

What I meant was all that retro Panasonic gear would take up a lot of room in the cab.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:31 AM   #145
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
I mounted all my rigs under the dash, center. The screws for the heater control unit were perfect for the transceiver U-bracket. Sometimes slightly longer bolts were necessary [1/4-20 iirc].
In my '67 Suburban, I had a Johnson Messenger 4175 in that position. It was wide enough to serve as a shelf for a police scanner, and on top of that had a flat space for one of those 'Mercury capsule' type coffee cups. I had a 2 hole Alpine cassette receiver, AM/FM in the normal dash position. External 2-way speaker in the ceiling above the rearview mirror.

What I meant was all that retro Panasonic gear would take up a lot of room in the cab.
ha ha, I got ya now!

I have been writing code all day, don't mind me! My brain isn't in people mode right now!
Old 02-26-2018, 07:06 AM   #146
hamjet

Quote:
68OrangeSunshine,

Great info. I've heard that about the Ham crowd. I'll test the water at the Ham outlet. A least I'll do a bit better armed with some knowledge. We'll see if they want to move a radio or gain a customer!

Thanks for taking the time to post the wealth of info!

j
I know alot of hams, being a ham myself, and yes, alot of them look down their noses at cb'ers. not me, thats where I started which got me into short wave listening and then onto ham radio. I left the cb crowd in the early 90s because of constant fighting and swaring on the air. but it was fun. don't worry about going to a ham store to buy things for cb's, they don't care as they will sell you anything, even a ham radio with out a licence for the all mighty dollar. I still have some cb's packed away somewhere. seldom I'll scroll down to the Chicken Band on the ham radio just to see if things are the same and they are. By the way, my handle was Flywheeler because I was also deep into hit & miss engines back then. Joe
Old 02-26-2018, 08:36 PM   #147
jeffahart

Don't want to clutter this thread with too much babble but, wanted to report back on my conversation with the HAM radio outlet in Burbank. The man I spoke with was a HAM guy and he had my radio in stock but said he didn't have many antennas. He said they don't do much with CBs and I should goto the truck stop in Castaic Junction. That said, he was super nice to me and was being honest, in my opinion! I liked him, if it don't work out in Castaic, I'll pay him a visit in Burbank.... and he'll be stuck with me!

I will head to Truckers Paradise "Castaic Junction" tomorrow!
Old 02-26-2018, 09:42 PM   #148
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Don't want to clutter this thread with too much babble but, wanted to report back on my conversation with the HAM radio outlet in Burbank. The man I spoke with was a HAM guy and he had my radio in stock but said he didn't have many antennas. He said they don't do much with CBs and I should goto the truck stop in Castaic Junction. That said, he was super nice to me and was being honest, in my opinion! I liked him, if it don't work out in Castaic, I'll pay him a visit in Burbank.... and he'll be stuck with me!

I will head to Truckers Paradise "Castaic Junction" tomorrow!

if you buy a newer CB personally I am a big fan of the Uniden Bearcat 980, had one in my semi, was a good talking radio, was running it with the right coax matched for the Firestick II antennas, it worked really well.

I also really like the CB/PA button, it is really nice to have a PA system sometimes.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:56 PM   #149
jeffahart

Well, the truck stop was a bust. So were the two truck supply shops in town. I decided NOT to go back to or call the Ham radio outlet. They want to run business off to Amazon, I guess that's a business model of some sort!

Anyhow, I queued a bunch of stuff up in the Amazon cart. So what's the problem? That picture of that Uniden BEARCAT 980SSB posted above. I have the Cobra 29 NW in my queue. But I just can't pull the trigger knowing that Bearcat is avail... a righteous radio! What to do what to do????? Must sit on this for a bit more!

Oh, and thanks for all the help for all that chimed in!

My accessories in queue(besides the radio). Just for fun if anyone is interested.

FireStik 5 feet II TUNABLE TIP BLACK
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3AJIO3SOHUZK3

Firestik SS-3H Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Antenna Spring
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3IBSQEE1HVAF4

FireStik K-1A Push-n-Twist quick disconnect
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2NYACAJP9I1IY

FireStik K-8R18 18 foot Fire-Flex coax cable with Fire-Ring

FireStik SS-294A Pickup truck stake hole cb antenna mount

PA Horn SPEAKER w/ Plug & Wire - 5 inch for CB / Ham Radio
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2Q49PGT6CNRLQ

j

Last edited by jeffahart; 02-28-2018 at 02:08 PM.
jeffahart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:31 PM   #150
70cst

Quote:
Well, the truck stop was a bust. So were the two truck supply shops in town. I decided NOT to go back to or call the Ham radio outlet. They want to run business off to Amazon, I guess that's a business model of some sort!

Anyhow, I queued a bunch of stuff up in the Amazon cart. So what's the problem? That picture of that Uniden BEARCAT 980SSB posted above. I have the Cobra 29 NW in my queue. But I just can't pull the trigger knowing that Bearcat is avail... a righteous radio! What to do what to do????? Must sit on this for a bit more!

Oh, and thanks for all the help for all that chimed in!

My accessories in queue(besides the radio). Just for fun if anyone is interested.

FireStik 5 feet II TUNABLE TIP BLACK

Firestik SS-3H Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Antenna Spring
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3IBSQEE1HVAF4

FireStik K-1A Push-n-Twist quick disconnect
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2NYACAJP9I1IY

FireStik K-8R18 18 foot Fire-Flex coax cable with Fire-Ring

FireStik SS-294A Pickup truck stake hole cb antenna mount

PA Horn SPEAKER w/ Plug & Wire - 5 inch for CB / Ham Radio
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2Q49PGT6CNRLQ

j
I would purchase your radio from a good CB Shop.

This way your radio will be peaked and tuned.

Amazon is the last place I would purchase a CB radio. That's just me.

Good Luck