The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
KevinK7

It's not 'home' yet, but a deal was struck :)

I had posted a question about special paint while 'looking' at a '68, but have since made the deal. It's a '68 C20 396 4sp with a utility bed, still being driven. Ideally I was looking for a 67/68 C10 SWB but this truck being a BB, with it's original patina paint as well being super rust free, I decided to jump on it.
I have little interest in the utility bed since I'm leaning on making it a fleetside (and likely will convert to a shortbed). Since the truck is super rust free (currently in CA, but originally from AZ) my plans are to keep the patina look and not repaint. I kind of like the nostalgic look of the color too.
For now my plans are to get the car shipped to my brother's place in Las Vegas and eventually it will make it's way back east (upstate NY).

Quick question on the MODEL#. On the SPID the model# is CE20903. Does the "03" ...Cab & Chassis imply the truck shipped from the factory with NO bed?
Based on discussion with the seller, the truck was used by a plumber in AZ for many years. I'm starting to wonder if it's had the utility bed on since 'day one'.

Thanks,

Kevin

KevinK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:43 PM   #2
Killer Bee

Re: It's not 'home' yet, but a deal was struck :)

looks like a nice project!

if you need some mechanical work in Vegas, my father-in-law owns Imperial Automotive in Henderson and they do a lot of resto work..

if you can find any nameplate data on the utility body, might be able to unravel the mystery of when installed..

good luck!
Old 02-24-2018, 05:30 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Cab & chassis is the purchase configuration when a utility box (or a stake bed) will be installed. I worked at a Chevrolet dealer or 3 in the early '70s. If a cab & chassis was special ordered (the only way we would get one, we didn't stock them) we took it to the utility box company and had the box installed before the truck was delivered to the buyer.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:14 PM   #4
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Here is a breakdown of the Model Number CE20903...

C...2 Wheel Drive

E... V8

2... 3/4

09... 127 inch wheelbase

03... Cab and Chassis
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
robs71

Hey Kevin that thing is cool,,fat block 4 speed..perfect.If that utility bed is decent and you decide to part with it ..i am up for a road trip..look me up............ Rob.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:39 PM   #6
KevinK7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs71 View Post
Hey Kevin that thing is cool,,fat block 4 speed..perfect.If that utility bed is decent and you decide to part with it ..i am up for a road trip..look me up............ Rob.
I may pull it off in Vegas (if I can find a nice factory shortbed) but if it makes it back east, I'll keep you in mind (and you are not that far, ...maybe 2-3hrs) Funny thing is a good friend of mine (Bud Scolastico) from the Camaro circles lives in Reading
KevinK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:54 PM   #7
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I still don't get the maze ment on the short bed.I'm a working class man I run nothing but old Chevy most of my life until I bought my 1991 ranger extended cab 4.0 5 speed and posi with rear sway bar. Before that i ran my 1965 for 15 years in the one business that sends most trucks to the scrap yard in 5-10 years new trucks last 3-5 years In the scrap hauling business.

Yes i own 2 short beds one fell into my lap 1987 fleet side and the 1964 big window fleet side.

To this day i still love the Long beds.At one time there where hard to find.Now there all over the place.its like how that old joke goes if every one had a butt they own a short bed 1967-72.Must be true.

But the long bed will go up in value less of them around cool.Nice truck good find

I have a 1968 longhorn 396 th400 power steering power brake AC mine is the blue and white top with the custom package
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote