The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2019, 06:15 PM   #1
STPETEBLUE

New C50 Owner

One happy guy (I think).
Just bought this 1969 C50 grain truck.
Name:  1_1200x900.jpg
Views: 1311
Size:  112.3 KB
STPETEBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:11 AM   #2
C10 - C90 Bill

Re: New C50 Owner

Congrats.

As mentioned in the other thread, it's an impressive truck.

Keep us posted on it.
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:50 AM   #3
kwmech

Wish I could find something that nice closer to me
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
STPETEBLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by C10 - C90 Bill View Post
Congrats.

As mentioned in the other thread, it's an impressive truck.

Keep us posted on it.
Thanks, again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Wish I could find something that nice closer to me
It's 1300 miles from me, so I'm still figuring out the logistics of getting it home.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:11 PM   #5
Airdirect

Does Florida allow you to purchase one way trip permits? If so purchase one and fly out and get it. You will have a wonderful time driving it home! Even better take another person with you to share the experience. My son Noah and I talk all the time about the fun we had resurrecting my C-70 and driving it 800 miles. Great memories.

David

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=721374
Airdirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:24 PM   #6
STPETEBLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdirect View Post
Does Florida allow you to purchase one way trip permits? If so purchase one and fly out and get it. You will have a wonderful time driving it home! Even better take another person with you to share the experience. My son Noah and I talk all the time about the fun we had resurrecting my C-70 and driving it 800 miles. Great memories.

David

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=721374
I have thought of that. I figure it would take me about 5 days on secondary roads to get it home. I can get a dealer plate from my B-I-L so a tag is no problem.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:24 PM   #7
Airdirect

Be sure to check the brake fluid before pressing the pedal. If it is low, it will usually self bleed unless the pedal gets pushed. Top off the master cylinder and wait for the air bubbles to stop. The rear brake cylinder is easy to replace, you could order a pair, rock auto is a good source, and have them with you in case they were needed.

David
Old 12-29-2019, 11:29 PM   #8
Airdirect

I would not hesitate to take the truck on the interstate. Looking at it I believe it has been well maintained by someone who knows how to do it. It appears to have had radiator hoses replace in the recent past, nothing appears to have been rigged (like most farm vehicles). I suspect the 292 would hum down the road just fine. I used to drive a 1972 with 4 and 2, was a great road machine. I would expect it to be governed at 60 MPH, as all truck of that era were. Just hold the pedal to the floor and enjoy the cruise.

David
Old 12-30-2019, 09:05 AM   #9
STPETEBLUE

Quote:
I would not hesitate to take the truck on the interstate. Looking at it I believe it has been well maintained by someone who knows how to do it. It appears to have had radiator hoses replace in the recent past, nothing appears to have been rigged (like most farm vehicles). I suspect the 292 would hum down the road just fine. I used to drive a 1972 with 4 and 2, was a great road machine. I would expect it to be governed at 60 MPH, as all truck of that era were. Just hold the pedal to the floor and enjoy the cruise.

David
You don't think the RPMs would be too high?
Old 12-30-2019, 09:11 AM   #10
Warrens69GMC

Keep it at around 60 and put hazard lights on, you will be fine.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:45 PM   #11
Airdirect

That is how I drove them back in the day. They were designed for 60 MPH. It will seem like the engine is winding fast compared to modern vehicles. They were geared to carry heavy loads all day long at highway speeds.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:56 PM   #12
Airdirect

The 292 was a great motor, had lots of torque, would pull 300 bushels of grain out of a field easy.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:59 PM   #13
Airdirect

The 292 was a great motor, had lots of torque, would pull 300 bushels of grain out of a field easy.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:16 PM   #14
Pvmt-Pndr

That's clean and good looking truck!
Pvmt-Pndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:48 PM   #15
Bigdually

As others have said, nice looking truck! I don't know how keen I'd be on taking an old truck I had never seen before and bombing it at 3500+ rpms for 1300 miles. Sure, it was made for that, I agree! But that was 50 years ago too and if it's only been run local and you take it on that sort of trip there's no end to the things that can start to go wrong a few hundred miles into your journey leaving you to do some roadside wrenching that could be anywhere from a minor fix to a huge conundrum.

Not trying to be a downer! I'm firmly rooted in the "drive it home" camp, just with the knowledge that you may want to prepare and take an array of tools and some spare belts, hoses, thermostats, air filter, etc, etc...
Bigdually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:05 AM   #16
Airdirect

These trucks get the grain dust and dirt blown off them every fall harvest and run hard all day long full throttle to and from the field and grain elevator. Going down the road empty would be a walk in the park. Given the apparent care it has had, doubt you would have any issues. Several hundred miles a day was normal during harvest.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:00 AM   #17
Pvmt-Pndr

I would be torn on a 1300 mile trip with an unknown truck. On one hand it looks well taken care of but on the other hand just how well has it been maintained mechanically. A 50 year old truck has a lot or unknowns. It looks like the truck wasn't used a whole lot or at least not abused when it was used. If the previous owner did a lot of things as preventative maintenance I would roll the dice on it.

At minimum I would have a trail car loaded down with everything possible for a quick road side fix. That's what I did with mine but mine was only a couple hundred miles from home. I had every tool I could think of. About the only thing I didn't have was a cherry picker.

Don't forget to factor in the weather too. At 60 mph non stop you're talking 22 hours of drive time. That's at least one night in a hotel. On the high side of 8 mpg that's around $400 in gas alone. So with all that figured you're at a low side of $650 for a hotel and gas. That's not including driving or flying to the truck either.

I would go for it if it were warmer outside. Like Airdirect said it will make for some great memories.
Pvmt-Pndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #18
STPETEBLUE

Quote:
Oddly enough, I had a C10 beater (same year, same color) that I put a 292 into, years ago. I really liked that motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvmt-Pndr View Post
That's clean and good looking truck!
Thanks. I can't wait to get it here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdually View Post
As others have said, nice looking truck! I don't know how keen I'd be on taking an old truck I had never seen before and bombing it at 3500+ rpms for 1300 miles. Sure, it was made for that, I agree! But that was 50 years ago too and if it's only been run local and you take it on that sort of trip there's no end to the things that can start to go wrong a few hundred miles into your journey leaving you to do some roadside wrenching that could be anywhere from a minor fix to a huge conundrum.

Not trying to be a downer! I'm firmly rooted in the "drive it home" camp, just with the knowledge that you may want to prepare and take an array of tools and some spare belts, hoses, thermostats, air filter, etc, etc...
Quote:
These trucks get the grain dust and dirt blown off them every fall harvest and run hard all day long full throttle to and from the field and grain elevator. Going down the road empty would be a walk in the park. Given the apparent care it has had, doubt you would have any issues. Several hundred miles a day was normal during harvest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvmt-Pndr View Post
I would be torn on a 1300 mile trip with an unknown truck. On one hand it looks well taken care of but on the other hand just how well has it been maintained mechanically. A 50 year old truck has a lot or unknowns. It looks like the truck wasn't used a whole lot or at least not abused when it was used. If the previous owner did a lot of things as preventative maintenance I would roll the dice on it.

At minimum I would have a trail car loaded down with everything possible for a quick road side fix. That's what I did with mine but mine was only a couple hundred miles from home. I had every tool I could think of. About the only thing I didn't have was a cherry picker.

Don't forget to factor in the weather too. At 60 mph non stop you're talking 22 hours of drive time. That's at least one night in a hotel. On the high side of 8 mpg that's around $400 in gas alone. So with all that figured you're at a low side of $650 for a hotel and gas. That's not including driving or flying to the truck either.

I would go for it if it were warmer outside. Like Airdirect said it will make for some great memories.
I'm going to rent or borrow a trailer and go get it. If I drive it back down, I'd be flying up to do so, and would not have any tools with me. Although it will be more expensive, I think this is the safest thing to do, especially at this time of the year.
I'm too old and too poor to break down 1,000 miles from home in 30 degree weather.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:40 AM   #19
Maytag906

Nice ride!
I bought my 1987 C60 about 400 miles away. Had 49,000 original, ran out decent, everything looked good. So I decided to drive it back.
About 1/3 the way back, it decided to launch the alternator belt, which then got caught in the fan, and took out the upper radiator hose. It ended up with an $800.00 tow, which my wife still reminds me of.....
Maytag906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:05 PM   #20
Bigdually

Quote:
Originally Posted by STPETEBLUE View Post
Oddly enough, I had a C10 beater (same year, same color) that I put a 292 into, years ago. I really liked that motor.
Thanks. I can't wait to get it here.
I'm going to rent or borrow a trailer and go get it. If I drive it back down, I'd be flying up to do so, and would not have any tools with me. Although it will be more expensive, I think this is the safest thing to do, especially at this time of the year.
I'm too old and too poor to break down 1,000 miles from home in 30 degree weather.
That gives you a good margin of safety, plus you still get the road trip! If you're using the tow rig in your signature, you've got a good ride to go in
Bigdually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #21
STPETEBLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdually View Post
That gives you a good margin of safety, plus you still get the road trip! If you're using the tow rig in your signature, you've got a good ride to go in
I am. It has pulled much heavier than this. The only downer is Sweetie can't go with me.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:11 PM   #22
STPETEBLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by STPETEBLUE View Post
I'm going to rent or borrow a trailer and go get it.
Well, so much for that idea! I just found out that the only place I could find that rents trailers big enough, does not allow vehicles on them (????) and does not allow them to leave the state!!!
I'm so pissed, right now, that I can't even see straight!
Who would have thought this would be this big a problem?
Old 01-02-2020, 02:29 PM   #23
Maytag906

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/haulquery.pl

one thought.
Maytag906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:24 PM   #24
STPETEBLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytag906 View Post
Good neighborly people, but I'm betting very few, if any, are insured.

Thanks, though.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:04 PM   #25
txagincali

I had luck on USHip getting my C50 down from northern CA as long as you put out all of your specs on the truck and its estimated weight as long as it is fairly close to a popular route or someone has an empty trailer coming back and can grab it.

Just make sure you don't get caught up with a Broker and their stories when they put the load out on the "dispatch board". They'll say they'll have it picked up in a few days and to you in a few days yet weeks can go by before you even hear back from them.
1972 GMC K5 Blazer 4x4 (sporadically being worked on, accumulating parts)

Last edited by txagincali; 01-02-2020 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Specifics
txagincali is offline   Reply With Quote