The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2019, 10:32 AM   #1
Gav2606

Axle help

Hi all. I have a chevy 10 bolt rear axle in my c10. I believe its a 8.5 as it has the 2 lugs at 5 and 7 o clock. I took my truck out yesterday and when i parked up i happen to notice there was oil sitting in the bottom of my rear wheel. They are 13 inchs wide so would catch it when dripping. My question is is it possible for the seal to go and oil to run down through my drum and into my wheel. It was to thick to be brake fluid. If so is it a easy repair? Many thanks

Last edited by Gav2606; 01-13-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Gav2606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:31 AM   #2
hooperca

Re: Axle help

Yes, it is absolutely possible for a bad seal to cause a leak into your drums. In order to change the seals you'll have to remove the brake backing plates and the axles. I think you can leave the shoes, etc. on the backing plates but not real sure. That said, if the shoes have rear end lube on them they'll need to be replaced anyway. To pull the axles - remove the diff cover, remove the c-clips, and pull them. Then you can get to the seal to replace it.

It's not a horrible job but does take a little time. As such, if it were me, I'd go ahead and replace both bearings as well. You should also do a real good inspection of your axles. They serve as the inner race of the bearings so if there's any wear, replace them. Also look at them in the area that the seal contacts them. If they're grooved, replace them. Another alternative may be "speedi-sleeves" if there's a groove where the seal rides but the bearing surface looks good.

Again, not a horrible job but, sometimes, the leaking seal is a symptom of other problems.
hooperca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #3
rjs53

Sounds like your seal took a crap. You'll have to pull the axle to repair it, which means pulling the cover. So yes even though oil isn't right there all the time the seal is designed to keep it from coming out. Its not a big job. Pull the cover remove the bolt that holds the center pin and slide it out. Push the axle in and remove the C clip then the axle pulls out. Pry the seal out put the new one in. Remember to tap it in evenly. As long as your there I would replace both.
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
hooperca

rsj53 - you are correct. It'd been a long time since I've done this. I recall now that you can pull the axle without removing the backing plate.
hooperca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #5
Gav2606

Excellent thank you for the info. I will get on it next weekend . Thanks
Gav2606 is offline   Reply With Quote