The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2019, 06:47 AM   #1
tino0217

71 C10 door alignment

Is there a different way to align the door without having to take it off the hinges. I get it some I aligned I still get a breeze coming from the bottom and from the left side of the door. My son-in-law isn't always around so half the time I'm trying to do this by myself. I've also noticed after I've aligned the door best I can it comes loose and gets caught up a little bit why is the door coming loose?
tino0217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:54 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: 71 C10 door alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by tino0217 View Post
Is there a different way to align the door without having to take it off the hinges. I get it some I aligned I still get a breeze coming from the bottom and from the left side of the door. My son-in-law isn't always around so half the time I'm trying to do this by myself. I've also noticed after I've aligned the door best I can it comes loose and gets caught up a little bit why is the door coming loose?

I'm not sure how you can align it if it is off the hinges. It has to be mounted to be able to align it. There are special door hinge wrenches to use on the bolts that screw into the cowl. Here are pictures of a few different ones. The trucks use a 9/16" one.

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/door-hinge-wrench

They used to sell them at the local auto parts stores.

Are there any cracks in the metal where the hinges bolt to the door? That will let the door move around a lot. Use a good light to look, sometimes they are hard to see

Have you adjusted the striker plate on the door jamb at all?

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:14 AM   #3
rjs53

So if you took the door off to replace the hinge pins and bushings, you could have done it with simple tools. You should have made a mark around the hinge before dismantling it, If you didn't then it can be a pain. Use some paint sticks under the door and rocker, then you'll need a second pair of hands to try to hold in place when you open the door to tighten. I'm doing it now, but have the front fender off while I was painting. Makes it easier.
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
zicc1835

Quote:
Originally Posted by tino0217 View Post
Lots of good info here
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=80129
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:35 AM   #5
tino0217

Yeah that's why I got ahead of myself when I wanted to paint the hinges I'm a newbie I should have marked I know I should have marked and I then now I'm struggling but if you love to work on these trucks it's a labor of love I guess
Old 01-15-2019, 02:38 AM   #6
tino0217

I have a line the striker plate a little bit and it did help for a little while I still need to get the gaps out of the door by the front quarter panel driver side but boy it is a bear to take that front fender off. I'm in the Northwest when it gets warmer I guess we'll take off that front quarter panel again or attempt to