The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2019, 06:45 PM   #1
Slowguy

Would someone be kind enough to take a measurement for me?

I received my accuair cvt tank today. Looks like a really nice, complete setup. It is a pretty piece of equipment but I still would like it out of sight. I’m thinking attaching to the frame rail passenger or driver side on the flat outer spot at the rear of the cab. I’d like to mount it now so I can get all the plumbing nice and neat. The only issue is that there is no cab and no bed on the frame so I’m afraid I’ll choose a spot then when I set the bed and or cab I’ll have missed something. It would be fantastic if someone could take a tape measure to an assembled truck and quickly see if it’ll mount where I’m thinking (and not be seen from he side of the truck). It looks like I’m at about 6” in diameter and about 29” long.
Attached Images

Slowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:34 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Would someone be kind enough to take a measurement for me?

Short bed-- long bed?
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:41 PM   #3
Slowguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Short bed-- long bed?
Short.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:54 PM   #4
kwmech

Well, I don't have a short bed. I actually use my trucks for working and hauling....but I measured my long bed--leaf sprung--and realizing your measurements that is a really large tank. Unless someone else answers It will not fit behind the cab mount if you are leaf. 29'' is too long for my long bed, If you have radius arms you should be able to mount the tank about an inch behind the cab mount rivet flange and stay a little below the bed mounts you should be golden.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:31 PM   #5
Slowguy

I’ll read this tomorrow when I’m at the truck and take some measurements, hold the tank up to the spot and take some pics. Thanks for doing that. Really appreciate it.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:32 AM   #6
Slowguy

Either of these look like they’ll work without interfering with anything? Would be nice to fit the battery tray in there also. Any idea how high the cab floor is above the frame?
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2019, 12:37 PM   #7
kwmech

There is a lip on the bottom of the cab that reinforces the floor that hangs down about 2'' from the top of the frame. It tapers from the center cab mount to about 3-4'' from the rear cab mount.

Put the battery on the other side anyways, it'll be closer to the starter. But the battery will hang down b'cuz of the same lip
Old 01-25-2019, 08:27 PM   #8
Slowguy

Quote:
There is a lip on the bottom of the cab that reinforces the floor that hangs down about 2'' from the top of the frame. It tapers from the center cab mount to about 3-4'' from the rear cab mount.

Put the battery on the other side anyways, it'll be closer to the starter. But the battery will hang down b'cuz of the same lip
Ok. So I’ll mount the tank on the driver side along the rail in the pic and the battery tray on the passenger side. I’ll see if I can find something me pics of someone’s underside. So essentially, whatever I mount there will have to be at least 2” lower than the top of the frame because of this lip on the cab?

I really didn’t want to because of all the extra work involved, but I could raise the bed floor and that would give me all the space I need for mounting components. Right now, the tank in diameter is almost the exact same as the frame rail height. If it needs to hang two inches below the bottom of the frame, will it be visible from the side of the truck?

I took tons of pics before disassembly but of course I didn’t take any from beneath the truck. I was just too excited to get started.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:47 AM   #9
kwmech

It may barely show being 6'' in diameter. Where's all the bagged guys with the shorty's chiming in?
Old 01-26-2019, 10:45 PM   #10
Slowguy

Quote:
It may barely show being 6'' in diameter. Where's all the bagged guys with the shorty's chiming in?
I second that
Old 01-30-2019, 11:24 PM   #11
Slowguy

Quote:

I found a pick of what I think you are talking about. Are you referring to that rail attached to the underside of the floor? If so, it looks like I need to make the top of the tank just about flush with the cab mount brackets.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2019, 01:44 AM   #12
kwmech

Yup, that's what i was talking about
Old 01-31-2019, 01:52 AM   #13
wilkin250r

I have a long bed with leaf springs. Let me know what you want pictures of.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:00 PM   #14
Slowguy

I kinda think I have an idea of where it will fit. It looks like a couple inches below the top of the frame rail and so where between the two cab mount brackets. I may not like it though because I really don’t want to see a shiny aluminum tank hanging below the doors. I didn’t realize space would be so limited to mount an accessory like this. The only other options I have are; in the bed itself (which I really didn’t want) or to raise the bed floor and put it in the cavity somewhere below the floor. I was even thinking maybe up against the cab floor on the side somewhere. That way it would be as tight to the floor as possible thereby hiding it as much as possible. I’ll have to go out to the cab and peek under there and measure from the floor to the bottom of the door area and see how much room that provides.

One of the main reasons I chose this expensive accuair system is because it’s so tidy. Everything is contained inside the tank. It’s also really quiet compared to a typical setup with exposed compressors. I may be able to make some rubber isolator mounts if it ends up going against the .cab floor to further isolate vibration and or extra noise into the cab.

Although it seems my mind changes ten times before all is said and done, I really just want to get all the tubes routed to the area where I think the tank will end up. SO much easier to route and make everything organized and pretty with the cab and bed off now.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:42 AM   #15
Slowguy

Actually, I just realized, this system is supposed to be super quiet. I’m relocating the gas tank to the rear, so I would imagine this would leave me enough space behind the seat, at floor level, inside the cab. I could even throw a little sound deadening material around it. With the exhaust rumbling, I doubt it will be hardly noticeable anyway.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:34 PM   #16
kwmech

Personally I wouldn't want a pressurized tank in the cab with me
Old 02-02-2019, 09:15 PM   #17
Slowguy

Quote:
Personally I wouldn't want a pressurized tank in the cab with me
Yeah. I think you’re right. It did cross my mind earlier but I saw videos of people installing them in the trunks of cars. I contemplated it a bit longer and can see how it may be hazardous, in the right conditions, to have a 200 psi tank 6” from you butt with nothing more between you and the tank than some foam.