The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
blazerparts
No,I DON'T have Tourett's

Fuel tank vacuum lines

For busy work I am going to start replacing all my vacuum lines. I have noticed three or four lines at the back below the fuel filler tube that are plugged with bolts. I also see one going to the back from the charcoal canister in the front. I assume this is all part of a smog set up and am wondering if I should just remove all those existing lines or return it to stock condition. What have you guys done with these vacuum lines?
blazerparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
71RestoRod

Re: Fuel tank vacuum lines

It's a vapor recovery system to trap and burn fuel vapors from the gas tank that would otherwise be released to the atmosphere. If the lines are blocked off, you should make sure that you have a vented gas cap on the tank.

I hooked mine back up. I found that with the in-tank pump that I have installed for the EFI, there was a lot of pressure building in the tank. Hooking up the vapor lines fixed the pressure problem and got rid of the gas smell that had been emanating from the cap.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:06 AM   #3
DANL

I think something is not connected correctly as I am getting a strong gas smell in my K5. I have reviewed section 8 of the 72 10-30 series truck service manual but do not have a good handle on it yet. Any updates on your progress would be appreciated.

...Dan
DANL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:11 AM   #4
blazerparts

Anybody have a detail on how and where these things install?
Old 02-01-2006, 02:08 PM   #5
71RestoRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerparts
Anybody have a detail on how and where these things install?
You have two vent lines that run from the gas tank to the vapor tube, one from each side of the gas tank. This is so that when the fuel sloshes back and forth you always have venting on one side or the other. The third line on the vapor tube, the one in the middle, runs to the charcoal canister.

At the canister you have three lines. They are all marked on the canister. One leads back to the vapor tube. Another line from the canister is spliced into the PCV line to the carburetor. The last line is a vacuum line that should be hooked up to ported vacuum on the carb.

When you run the engine off idle, the ported vacuum opens a valve on the canister and the engine consumes the gas tank vapors via the PCV line. At idle, the vapors vent out through the canister.

Here's a pic from the factory assembly manual of the gas tank and vapor tube lines:
Attached Images

Last edited by 71RestoRod; 02-01-2006 at 04:38 PM.
71RestoRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:03 PM   #6
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Should this be hooked up on a standard gas motor, like OE type motors
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:03 PM   #7
blazerparts

Thanks RR.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:07 AM   #8
71jimmy

71RestoRod, that's a good explanation. I know what it is, but I could not have explained it that well. And I now really understand how it works.

LUV, I think that's a personal question wether you want it to be "stock" or not. I think most of these system have been dismantled over the years or are just "bad", ie cracked hoses, rusted lines etc. Since our vehicles are smog check exempt, no one will ever check if the system is in place and working. As far as helping with gasoline smell while parked in a garage, I don't think it will help or hinder. Remember, the engine is off in the garage ( at least I hope so) so the system is not ON.

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 10:08 AM   #9
71RestoRod

Thanks, 71jimmy. I read once that it was one of the few smog devices that actually improved efficiency and with the EFI setup I kinda got forced into researching it...

As far as the gas smell... hooked up this way it's a closed system. The cap is not vented, so even with the engine turned off you're not apt to get the gas smell around the cap like you would with a vented system. I have no gas smell at all now. Before I hooked up the canister, it stunk up the garage enough that the wife was complaining. (all that work and it smells like gas!!)
Old 02-03-2006, 01:39 PM   #10
bpmcgee

Not ALL of our vehicles are exempt. Here in the great state of corrup-- Illinois, if your vehicle was ever subject to emissions tests, it will continue to be forever. The only way to get around that is to register it outside of a major city (although that's changing), or get antique plates for it.

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:09 PM   #11
Frizzle Fry

I found this thread with the search function. I just installed a poly tank and I have no vapor recovery system. I also put a new gas cap on (the old one was just ugly). I just got what the parts store gave me per their book, so I don't know if it's vented or not. How can I tell the difference? Is there a check valve?

My concern is that I will crush the tank with my electric pump if it's not vented.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:11 PM   #12
71RestoRod

Frizzle,

The tank won't crush. It might be just the opposite. All of the gass caps let air into the tank. The vented caps let air out as well if the pressure builds up in the tank.

I've never looked at a poly tank from the top, but the stock tank (later years anyway) has 5/16" fuel line connections on the left and right hand sides of the tanks.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:12 PM   #13
VinceY
Just need a couple more parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71RestoRod
You have two vent lines that run from the gas tank to the vapor tube, one from each side of the gas tank. This is so that when the fuel sloshes back and forth you always have venting on one side or the other. The third line on the vapor tube, the one in the middle, runs to the charcoal canister.

At the canister you have three lines. They are all marked on the canister. One leads back to the vapor tube. Another line from the canister is spliced into the PCV line to the carburetor. The last line is a vacuum line that should be hooked up to ported vacuum on the carb.

When you run the engine off idle, the ported vacuum opens a valve on the canister and the engine consumes the gas tank vapors via the PCV line. At idle, the vapors vent out through the canister.

Here's a pic from the factory assembly manual of the gas tank and vapor tube lines:
Do you have the same type of diagram for canister in front? All of my system is complete in the rear as per your diagram, but in the engine campartment I am missing the canister and the hose is just open ended under the battey.
1958 Shasta Airflyte Travel trailer (fresh restoration)
1971 C/10 Pickup(Frame off Restoration)
1972 K5 Blazer CST (Daily Driver & My Company Truck)
1976 Honda CB750 Bobber
1988 Jaguar XJ12
VinceY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:34 PM   #14
71RestoRod

I never could find a picture of the canister in the Factory Assembly Manual but each of the ports on the canister are labeled.

The canister is attached with a bracket that bolts to the fender using the two bolts on the triangular brace that goes between the fender and the radiator support.

Last edited by 71RestoRod; 02-04-2006 at 10:42 PM.
71RestoRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:25 AM   #15
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71RestoRod
Frizzle,

The tank won't crush. It might be just the opposite. All of the gass caps let air into the tank. The vented caps let air out as well if the pressure builds up in the tank.

I've never looked at a poly tank from the top, but the stock tank (later years anyway) has 5/16" fuel line connections on the left and right hand sides of the tanks.
I have the two extra fittings (one on each side) plus an unused line on the sending unit (return?). Someone was saying a non-vented system could put strain on the pump I was at least worried I could starve the carb if the fuel was not replaced with air--dropping the pressure. I guess the vaporization of the fuel more than prevents that, or the caps are designed to allow air in as you said.

So should I run a vented cap, or a fuel filter open to atm on one of the spare ports as someone suggested?

Do the parts stores carry the canisters?
Attached Images

Last edited by Frizzle Fry; 02-05-2006 at 01:27 AM.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #16
JonFrankMc

Rather than starting a new thread I'm going to try and bump this one. I have a 71 step side that I have a under-the-bed tank in. The tank is not vented and when I take the cap off significant pressure is released. I also have a significant gas smell in the garage.

I don't have any of the original canisters. What would y'all do? Add a filter open the the atm to one of the small ports (like frizzle fry's pic)?

For arguments sake, my tank is similar to the pic above. a 5/8" filler neck vent and then 2 smaller ports...

Thanks!
JonFrankMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #17
Bigb401

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmcgee View Post

Not ALL of our vehicles are exempt. Here in the great state of corrup-- Illinois, if your vehicle was ever subject to emissions tests, it will continue to be forever. The only way to get around that is to register it outside of a major city (although that's changing), or get antique plates for it.

Brian
Wow that sucks! I didn't know about that. Another reason I'm glad to live in Wisconsin! Lol I feel for ya bro.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-19-2012, 12:50 AM   #18
BBrendal
Recalculating.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigb401 View Post
Wow that sucks! I didn't know about that. Another reason I'm glad to live in Wisconsin! Lol I feel for ya bro.
Posted via Mobile Device
That post was from 2006. Since then in Illinois the standards have changed. 1996 and newer cars are now tested (OBD2) and under 1996 are exempt.

1969 Chevy Camaro Z28
1972 Chevy Blazer CST
2004 GMC Yukon (The truck that pulls the car trailer)
1972 Chevy Blazer CST #2 (Finished and sold!)

Blazer build link...
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/...rendal/Blazer/
BBrendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:03 AM   #19
Bigb401

Oh my bad, guess I need to pay attention better. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2016, 11:40 AM   #20
infinite-foamies

Trying to revive this deadthread. I am rebuilding my vapor tube, but now wonder if I even need it since I went diesel. My Suburban also didnt come with the canister under the hood. What could I run the center line from the vapor tube to?
infinite-foamies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:02 PM   #21
pound41

I have 2 blazers when I replaced the tank on my original blazer I replaced the hoses etc. The newest blazer I have The PO replaced the tank and plugged off the other lines. Trying to get gas in that blazer is a pita it belches gas everywhere
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:40 AM   #22
Green Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71RestoRod View Post

This is wonderful information.

My blazer has stunk up the garage with gas fumes for as long as I've owned it. I thought that's just how they are. Apparently this is not normal.

Upon investigation this morning I found two severed lines on the gas vapor canister mounted near the passenger side headlight and battery tray (dual battery setup). My Blazer has a poly tank and Edelbrock carb installed by prior owners that seem to work properly, other than the gas smell when parked in the garage.

I will need to run new replacement hoses and I don't see the markings on the vapor canister that indicate which line should go where. See attached photo.

Can any of our helpful members indicate what lines should go where when coming out of the vapor canister?
Attached Images

Green Monster is offline   Reply With Quote