The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2019, 10:55 PM   #1
RPBurris

Amazon aluminum radiators??

Curious if anyone has tried purchasing and running any of the aluminum radiators from Amazon? There are multiple options that "claim" to fit 69-72 trucks with options from 2-4 rows and with or without electric fans included. They look shiny but curious how they perform. I am in the market for a new radiator anyway. I searched the forum already and did not see anything recent for these. For some reason I cant paste the link correctly so below is a photo. We all like photos anyway.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2019, 11:39 PM   #2
p0508

Re: Amazon aluminum radiators??

To a certain extent you will get what you pay for. The most budget option I have found but still retaining a decent company/warranty was cold case radiators. After that you move into one off handmade US companies like entropy/R&D fab etc etc whom obviously have to charge more than an assembly line large company. As far as most of the chinese amazon and ebay stuff I'd stay away. The lowest I would go is cold case for a name brand. I've used their stuff in the past and it worked as advertised with no problems and at least I have someone I can call if i have a problem.

-Drew
p0508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #3
dmjlambert

For ordering online I like Engineered Cooling Products.
http://www.speedcooling.com/1967_197..._Radiator.html
This was a radiator that came up as recommended numerous times here on the forum, so I decided to go for it. It has worked well for a couple of years now.

I ordered a zinc anode for it from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GR09S4/
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:22 AM   #4
leddzepp

I have Champion radiators in both of my trucks. Yep, they are inexpensive and made offshore but the one in my 72 has been there for several years now with no issues and the one in my 68 has been just over a year, no issues. Both trucks run factory AC all the time, summers are triple digit temps and often times sitting in traffic. I would buy another one without hesitation.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #5
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I just purchased the Cold Case after deciding that a grand was ridiculous for a radiator. On the plus side the Cold Case is a work of art and well manufactured with a great warranty and price. Downside is that it doesn’t just drop in. It is worth a little fabrication for me to save 500 bucks.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #6
Greasey Harley

My truck came with a Champion radiator that looked brand new.
A month later, it started leaking.
I took it to the local radiator shop and they told me that it was leaking where one of the tubes was glued into the core. It was un-repairable.
I threw that hunk of junk in the scrap aluminum pile and bought a different radiator.
I was not impressed.
Greasey Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:01 PM   #7
jcwren

I bought mine from Rockauto. It said it's the correct fitment for the truck, and it kinda is. I have the 250 L6, and I had to move the battery side upper and lower radiator support bracket to the outer position. However, as a result, I can't run a radiator cap with ears, because it'll hit the bracket. I haven't had any real success finding an earless cap, so I'm making one. I figured it was a good reason to buy a jeweler's torch, so I can trim the ears and braze the edges

Going back to the actual radiator itself, the quality is really good. It's unpainted aluminum, and it's whatever the larger number of tubes is (3 vs 2, or 4 vs 3, I forget). But it'll work if I do a SBC or LS swap.
jcwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #8
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwren View Post
I bought mine from Rockauto. It said it's the correct fitment for the truck, and it kinda is. I have the 250 L6, and I had to move the battery side upper and lower radiator support bracket to the outer position. However, as a result, I can't run a radiator cap with ears, because it'll hit the bracket. I haven't had any real success finding an earless cap, so I'm making one. I figured it was a good reason to buy a jeweler's torch, so I can trim the ears and braze the edges

Going back to the actual radiator itself, the quality is really good. It's unpainted aluminum, and it's whatever the larger number of tubes is (3 vs 2, or 4 vs 3, I forget). But it'll work if I do a SBC or LS swap.
No ears per the photo.

https://sdparts.com/i-24089893-acdel...-cap-rc32.html
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2019, 09:59 PM   #9
jcwren

Well, that's pretty cool, and I appreciate you finding the link. However, the $20.73 shipping on a $9.79 item means they're out of their freakin' minds.
jcwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:28 PM   #10
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

I am running a Champion radiator in my truck...
Attached Images

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:05 PM   #11
my67c20

Swapped manual to auto and went with one from Entropy. Got it with the controller. Had to do some harness wire shortening, but otherwise nice unit. Needed the HD mounts for the radiator, but probably could have used the stock, but failed to mention that at time of order. Brothers had the mounts, so not a big deal. Worth the price.
Attached Images

my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote