The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
goodemj

Running light issues

I have a 1969 Chevrolet k10 LWB pickup, I was leaving a friend's house and when I turned my lights on I had no dash lights and so I tried to investigate but the dome light wouldn't turn on either. So I got out and I have no running lights, but the headlights, turn signals and backup lights all work.

I drove home and as I pressed the brake pedal the dome, dash and running lights lit up but only with the brake pedal pushed in.

I suspected the headlight switch so I replaced it but it didn't fix anything. All the fuses look fine and the bulbs are fine because everything lights up when the brakes are pressed.

I'm stumped, has this happened to anyone else before or does anyone have any advice to help me solve this problem so I can drive at night again???
goodemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: Running light issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodemj View Post
I have a 1969 Chevrolet k10 LWB pickup, I was leaving a friend's house and when I turned my lights on I had no dash lights and so I tried to investigate but the dome light wouldn't turn on either. So I got out and I have no running lights, but the headlights, turn signals and backup lights all work.

I drove home and as I pressed the brake pedal the dome, dash and running lights lit up but only with the brake pedal pushed in.

I suspected the headlight switch so I replaced it but it didn't fix anything. All the fuses look fine and the bulbs are fine because everything lights up when the brakes are pressed.

I'm stumped, has this happened to anyone else before or does anyone have any advice to help me solve this problem so I can drive at night again???
Bad headlight dimmer switch.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
goodemj

Thank you Fitz!!!!!! $10 headlight dimmer switch and I can drive at night again! I never would've guessed that because the switch still "worked" by dimming my headlights!
Old 09-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodemj View Post
Thank you Fitz!!!!!! $10 headlight dimmer switch and I can drive at night again! I never would've guessed that because the switch still "worked" by dimming my headlights!
No problem! Sometimes you have to run into one of these really weird problems and try all of the alternatives so you know how to fix it again.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
goodemj

This site is amazing and the members are a wealth of knowledge! I pulled all my lights, fuses, and even the fuse panel itself and couldn't figure anything out... I never suspected the dimmer switch since it still performed its dimming function. It was definitely a weird problem and I am very grateful that you shared your knowledge on how to fix it! The previous owner did some funky wiring and splicing which I'm slowly correcting but I'm glad I can safely/legally drive on the road again thanks to you!