The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #1
ab_70chevy

Is my drive shaft too long??

1970 C10 long bed, 2 piece drive shaft, 350 trans with coil rear suspension. My carrier bearing bracket broke so I had to take the shaft off last night to take to the shop. When I got under the truck to remove it, I had absolutely no play in the yoke and the transmission. The u joint at the rear end was free and not jammed in, but the shaft didn't just fall out. It took me about an hour of messing with it to finally drop out. I think I'll probly have to drop the axel to get it back in. The truck is lowered with 5" coil springs and 1 1/2" blocks as well, so have I just pushed the limit and I'm out of wiggle room, or is this a common problem? I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks fellas
-Andrew
ab_70chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
ab_70chevy

Re: Is my drive shaft too long??

Yeah it's bottomed out. Maybe a 1/8" of play, if that. Not enough for the shaft to slide in and drop out. And I think I've only got that because the carrier bearing is broke and hanging.
ab_70chevy is offline   Reply With Quote