The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
glendale

gas tank options?

i would like to move my tank to under the bed. what are my options? thanks.
glendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
apachedaddy

Re: gas tank options?

LMC and CPP have the relocation kits for this. Not to bad of a price but if you do a search on this forum you will see plenty of diff types to install.
apachedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
chillware

I like the kit from ECE, it looks like it has much cleaner fit than the CPP tank.
chillware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
creep
Registered Loser

You could use a fuel cell or a gas tank kit from LMC or Classic Parts or any place like that. Fuel cells are available in many different sizes and capacities and the tank kits are usually a blazer tank with mounting straps. Either way requires some modification so it's really just a matter of preference. I am probably going to go with a fuel cell because I'll need the ground clearance.

'63 GMC lwb, 383, th350, lays frame, genuine patina.
The Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=374267
'88 Astro cargo bagged, shaved, phantom grille. *SOLD*
'50 Chevy 2 door sedan awaiting attention.
2014 Silverado Ext cab, 5.3, daily driver.
creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Northern lights

I have my tank under the bed. It SUCKS. Alot of people are doing it so somebody must like it but I wouldn't recommend it. It's the only thing about my truck that I hate. I'm likley going back to a seat tank so I can enjoy my truck.
Northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
chillware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern lights View Post
I have my tank under the bed. It SUCKS. Alot of people are doing it so somebody must like it but I wouldn't recommend it. It's the only thing about my truck that I hate. I'm likley going back to a seat tank so I can enjoy my truck.
what is it that you hate about it??
chillware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
Northern lights

There's no decent place for a filler cap. At least in MY case, the tank is tucked right up under the floor of the box. The only way to get it to take fuel (that I can think of) is a cap in the floor that dumps striaght into the tank. That puts it somewhere between the frame rails in the middle third of the box (side to side). That looks rediculous (IMO) and, if you have a run over, it's all over the inside of the box. I would never want a fuel door in the side of the box of in the inner fender, and, even if I did, because the tank is basically right against the floor (or close to it) that, unless the filler was near the top of the box side (which would require a hose going THROUGH the box, the fuel has to go basically horizontal to the tank. Not the most efficient way to move fluid. If you try to put it behind the liscence plate or between the bumper and tailgate, again, the filler is at or below the top of the tank and it won't fill worth a damn. Mine is behind the tail-light (fleetside) and, while it's OK in that you can't see it, again, it's not much higher than the top of the tank and the hose has to go horizontal for a foot of so the get to the tank. It takes about 15 min to fill (about 16 gal) and that's with a jerry can. Straight from a pump puts a few gallons on the ground as it's VERY difficult to get the pump to pump slow enough and the fuel backs up all over the place. I suppose if a guy doesn't mind haveing a fuel cap in box floor, but then, I don't want to be dragging a hose over the end gate everytime I fill. There's a good reason GM didn't put it there. It wasn't because they never thought of it, the subs and later, the blazers did so they already had the tanks yet they still used the seat tanks in the pick-ups. It just doesn't work well in a pick-up (an understatement) IM(not so)HO. I don't even like to drive my truck because it means that I have to fuel it back up with that mickey mouse setup.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
70 Suburban
Rods

Hmm i would think that an ovel pipe could help with thise as far as flow..

1965 C-10 Ext cab build. 350??(Does it count at 2 truck if I had to cut one up?)
1966 C-10 lwb 283 auto
1970 Suburban in pieces
1971 Blazer 4wd....restore someday. all factory CST
1972 Blazer 4wd parts truck still a roller
1972 GMC Sierra Grandee

1998 Chevy ext driver.
2005 F**D the wife drive...(cant fix women)
70 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:13 AM   #9
mike73

has anyone ever utilized the factory fueling location and ran the filler tube to a bottom fuel tank. I suppose cutting a hole through the cab and running the filler tube against the bottom of the bed to the tank or fuel cell location is what Im asking......... just a thought?
mike73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:56 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Have you checked to make sure the tank is vented properly? An improperly vented tank will be a PITA to fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern lights View Post
There's no decent place for a filler cap. At least in MY case, the tank is tucked right up under the floor of the box. The only way to get it to take fuel (that I can think of) is a cap in the floor that dumps striaght into the tank. That puts it somewhere between the frame rails in the middle third of the box (side to side). That looks rediculous (IMO) and, if you have a run over, it's all over the inside of the box. I would never want a fuel door in the side of the box of in the inner fender, and, even if I did, because the tank is basically right against the floor (or close to it) that, unless the filler was near the top of the box side (which would require a hose going THROUGH the box, the fuel has to go basically horizontal to the tank. Not the most efficient way to move fluid. If you try to put it behind the liscence plate or between the bumper and tailgate, again, the filler is at or below the top of the tank and it won't fill worth a damn. Mine is behind the tail-light (fleetside) and, while it's OK in that you can't see it, again, it's not much higher than the top of the tank and the hose has to go horizontal for a foot of so the get to the tank. It takes about 15 min to fill (about 16 gal) and that's with a jerry can. Straight from a pump puts a few gallons on the ground as it's VERY difficult to get the pump to pump slow enough and the fuel backs up all over the place. I suppose if a guy doesn't mind haveing a fuel cap in box floor, but then, I don't want to be dragging a hose over the end gate everytime I fill. There's a good reason GM didn't put it there. It wasn't because they never thought of it, the subs and later, the blazers did so they already had the tanks yet they still used the seat tanks in the pick-ups. It just doesn't work well in a pick-up (an understatement) IM(not so)HO. I don't even like to drive my truck because it means that I have to fuel it back up with that mickey mouse setup.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:02 AM   #11
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

a full size blazer tank works well. Here ya go....
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=234732
Check around for the guys who haul junk cars to the crusher. They're required to remove the gas tanks in most places. Around here they will give you as many gas tanks as you want for free, just to get rid of them.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #12
1962k20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike73 View Post
has anyone ever utilized the factory fueling location and ran the filler tube to a bottom fuel tank. I suppose cutting a hole through the cab and running the filler tube against the bottom of the bed to the tank or fuel cell location is what Im asking......... just a thought?
International light duty trucks had them in the mid 60s. The filler neck is on the right side, and the tank is under the floor outside the frame rail, not the safest location in my opinion. the other drawback is the tank, it only holds sixteen gallons. I own a 69 and 71 IH.
1962k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #13
Chevy Fleetside

Here was another thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=353749 I even bumped it up.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #14
Northern lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike73 View Post
I've spent a fair bit of time on a creeper looking at the viability of that exact scenario. I have a bit of a hang up with cutting a hole in the back of the cab because usually when I try something "clever" like that it ends up being a $hitshow.

Quote:
Have you checked to make sure the tank is vented properly? An improperly vented tank will be a PITA to fill.
It has a vent tube but I can't say I've ever actually checked it. That's a good point. I'll check it out.

Last edited by Northern lights; 08-07-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #15
mike73

Good ol IH I ran Scouts for a spell until they started getting expensive. The 80/800 series had those little saddle tanks and the Scout II had one in the rear like Blazers. I was unaware of the pickup configuration though. It would be nice to actually see a set up. IMO I would feel safer driving around without sitting on a gas tank. I cant say it has or hasnt happen just what if. If the tank is outside its less of a hazzard. Granted its not a ticking time bomb in your pocket either.
mike73 is offline   Reply With Quote