The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Glock's new project: "Fred" w/ 5.3L LS swap info

We got the 85 picked up from HuggerCST and made it home Monday night with no problems. 12 hours on the road each way, 2 days..... I'm pooped! The kids decided to name this truck Fred. Not sure exactly where that came from, but it has stuck. So Fred it is!

I thought I would go ahead and start a project thread for this truck. Not much will be happening at first, but I will be doing little things here and there.

First thing this morning, I pulled off the bed rails and the push pads. Sorry you purists, I'm not a fan of those!

I went over the top of the cab and the hood with some polishing compound and the buffer too before I left for work. I think everything will buff out real nice and be nice and shiny for now.

Short term plans are:

* Finish waxing it. **DONE**

* Lower the front and rear a little, maybe two inches all around. The front sits a little higher than the rear right now, by about 3/4". So I'll try to get the front down just a touch lower than the rear. **DONE**

* O2 sensor. I need to add a heated O2 sensor. **DONE**

* Stereo! I must have my tunes! I have my trusty Alpine deck, Rockford Fosgate amp, RF component speakers, and RF 12" sub. I have the faceplate for the deck, now I just need to get a different box for the sub. **DONE**

* Windshield. This one has some chips and a good munch on the lower left side.

* Power steering gear. Wynne said this one leaks, so I pulled the one off the 91 Suburban to swap out. **DONE, NEW ONE**

* Rebuild the door hinges. The drivers door shuts hard, the passenger is a little easier. Wynne included rebuild kits for those. **DONE**

* Sport bumper for the rear. **DONE**

* Rear tires. Drivers side is about gone, and the passenger will be great as a spare. **DONE**

* Replace the seat cover. **DONE, "NEW" SEAT**

* Exhaust. The exhaust dumps on the back side of the rear end right now. I'm going to run it from there straight out the back with a pair of 3.5" x 18" tips. It sounds good as-is, but I really like those big tips! **DONE**

That's mostly all for now. Later on I'll do the Suburban grill swap (**DONE**), fix the rust, swap in a TH700R4/3.42 combo (**DONE**), redo the interior, then paint it and replace all the moulding and trim with new stuff. **MAJOR REVISION TO THIS, KEEP READING!**
Attached Images

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE

Last edited by glock35ipsc; 10-13-2009 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Updated progress, title
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote