The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
lukefalls

Slow 71 GMC Build

I have this build listed on both Pirate4x4 and ColoradoK5, but I wanted to post here to get some more feed back. I've had this truck for nearly 10 years. I've neglected it and hacked it. Time to fix it.

The plan is for a 4x4 long travel, go-fast rock crawler, cruiser. That a lot to expect for a one truck. I am still looking for an L92 or L9H (I'd settle for an L76). I want to run a 6L90e with a Atlas 4spd or a Stak 3spd. It'll be orange, might steal Nibs' orange. The body lift is gone! It'll run Method or WER racing wheels with 37" Toyo MTs. I don't even want to think about how much the King C/Os and bypass shocks are going to cost.

I have a '79 Ford Dana 60 for the front. I'll get 3.73 with a Detroit. It now has new alloy shafts, 35 spline outter shafts, and Warn Premium hubs. It also has WFO Concepts double high steer arms. This probably won't work with the amount of wheel travel it'll have. We'll see. I have everything for the 3 link + pan hard front. Its not done yet because I want to mock up the engine and make sure it'll work. The 4 link rear is in place, I just need to finish my trailing arms. The entire cage needs to be built.

Here is everything I've done so far. I am finishing up the driver's side door and rocker right now. Its not going well, but more about that later.

BEFORE PICTURES

Last edited by lukefalls; 05-10-2011 at 07:20 PM.
lukefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
lukefalls

Re: Slow 71 GMC Build

MORE BEFORE PICS

PROGRESS PICTURES

Old 05-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
lukefalls

Old 05-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
lukefalls

Old 05-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
lukefalls

Old 05-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
lukefalls

Now my problem:
I cannot get my driver's door to line up...with anything. I can get any one side to line up with adjoining metal and still open and close smooth. If I want three sides to line up, the door closes smooth, but damn near take a crowbar to open.

I cannot all sides of the door to line up. The reason that I started working on the door today is becuase I've been uphappy with the LMC rocker pannle. I figured that I'd make sure the door/cab/fender was where I want them. Then cut, twist, stretch, etc the rocker to where it lined up really nice.

Help...please. Feedback is always welcome. Good and bad. I'm learning as I go and will not claim to be an expert on anything.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #7
lukefalls

I actually made a bit of progress. A friend of mine let me use his airplane paint booth. I laid 4 coats of high build epoxy primer. I blocked a few areas and still have low spots. I guess I'm not the body man that I though I was.

The worst spots are where the bed impacted the back of the cab. I see tons of these with damage there. I'm actually considering cutting out the damage and building new panels. I've got some more work to do.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:28 AM   #8
chevy71c10

Looks like you have made a lot of progress on the truck. Looking good!! I wish I could provide advise on the door issue, but I'm about to replace my cab components as well. I'll be watching to see the responses as I'm sure I'll be in the same position as you, as this is my first attempt at body work. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

71' C10 SWB
00' Dakota R/T
05' Z-71 Silverado
16' Z-71 Silverado

Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376904
chevy71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:03 AM   #9
lukefalls

Thanks Justin. I think that the issue with the door is that I unbolted the cab from the frame and it twisted a bit. Also, I repaired the lower fender mount and I think that I put it in the wrong spot.

I'll keep you updated. I am no expert, but if you have any questions, let me know.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
lukefalls

My wife and daughter have both been really sick, so not much has happened. They are feeling better today, so I went at it again.

I installed the Energy Suspension body mounts. Their kit was packaged wrong and was missing a few parts. A quick call and they said they were shipping it out today. They were very easy to deal with.

Now, the door alignment issues that I had before seem to be better (but not great). I still have to use spacers in the hinges. The gap at the rear of the door is better. The side window frame is still out a ways. I guess this door is just bent. Also, the lower rear door corner sticks out about 3/8". I think that it is in part due to my poor metal working of the new rocker and cab corner.

I am not looking for a new driver's door, but they are very hard to come by here in Fairbanks. People either want $100,490,000,398.24 for it, or its so rusted that its beyond my ability to fix.

My new problem is that the driver's side front fender points upward. I installed the core support and hung the fender (all body mounts are torqued down). The fender appears to be about 1/4" high and the front. This is causing a wedge shaped gap between the back of the fender and the front of the door.

I am not sure how to lower the core support to fix this. Anyone else experience this? I can post photos if that would help.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
lukefalls

Old 06-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #12
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Cool truck

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #13
lukefalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselarmy13 View Post
Cool truck
Thanks. I'm going to try to ship up the front of the cab and see how that works out. I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #14
bosco200

Lookin good!
bosco200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:30 AM   #15
lukefalls

Well, I got the body mount/cab issue sorted out. I just needed to adjust the bushings. Thank for the help on that.

Interior Towing of Fairbanks helped me a ton! The loaned me a smoked 5.3 to use for mock-up. Other than the hole in the block and oil pan leaking oil everywhere, its working perfect.

I am finding that the stock exhaust manifolds are too wide and hitting the frame. I'll look into Camaro manifolds. I've heard that they're narrower. Any input on this?

I am using a large bushing and sleeve as a motor mount. That'll get it a bit lower in the frame than the stock motor mount will. Its also easier to fab that way. Again, any input?

All that I got done tonight is to hang the engine and make plates for the block. Hopefully tomorrow, I'll have it bolted in with a new cross member.

Time for pics...

Old 07-28-2011, 02:41 AM   #16
whitelightnin92

seriously, use a dead blow on the bottom of the door. the problem is the rockers are curved and most of the doors out there werent shaped very well to fit the rockers. ive never seen one that lined up perfectly. i spent literally weeks lining up my rocker and still had to use a dead blow to drive the door in on both bottom corners just slightly.
72 C10 short stepside(almost driveable)
whitelightnin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:04 AM   #17
lukefalls

'92, I'm about ready to do that. I'll post photos when I do. If it doesn't go well, I'll post pics of myself taking a dead-blow to the entire thing.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:52 PM   #18
lukefalls

I'm a bit disappointed with myself. I spent all day making sure that the engine was exactly where I wanted it. I measured about 50 times and got everything perfect. I really took time to make the brackets so that I won't make the "ghetto-fab" thread.

Once everything was built and lined-up, I tacked it. Then removed the engine and measured again. Then I welded everything in for good.

Ultimately, everything is okay. I was really hoping for great. I need to finish up the engine mounts with the boxed sides (with speed holes of course). I'm also going to build a cross member. Now that I have the engine in place, I can build the 3 link front and know that my links won't hit the exhaust or oil pan.

I talked to Kevin at Pacific Fab today. He was very helpful...so much so that I think that I'm going to pony up a buy an engine from him. I'd recommend Pac Fab to anyone looking for an LSx. Like I said, Kevin was super helpful.

Now, for the pics. FLAME ON:beer:

Old 07-29-2011, 02:03 AM   #19
whitelightnin92

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukefalls View Post
'92, I'm about ready to do that. I'll post photos when I do. If it doesn't go well, I'll post pics of myself taking a dead-blow to the entire thing.
NICE
72 C10 short stepside(almost driveable)
whitelightnin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:00 AM   #20
lukefalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelightnin92 View Post
NICE
I'll get it done one way or another.

Now that I got the engine in place, I was able to put the Ford Dana 60 in the truck. I mocked up the upper link for the 3 link. I will have definitely 7" of up travel. There is 8" until the upper link hits the frame, but I wanted at last an 1" for safety. I may need more. We'll see.

As promised...speed holes!

Old 11-11-2011, 01:34 AM   #21
lukefalls

I might as well post an update.

I've been insanely busy with work the last few months. I did finish the 3 link front. There is going to be just enough room for the exhaust.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:19 AM   #22
Billhilly

Great work!
Old 11-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #23
lukefalls

Thanks for the input. I'll be on hold for a while. My wife is due with our son in January.

Right now, family is first. I'll make sure that I get updates loaded as I make them.

Expect to see the details on an L96 swap and full cage.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:02 AM   #24
72LSK10

Nice truck and build, I know how it feels to have a cool rock crawler, beat her up (while having fun) and then realize that she deserves to look nice. Glad to see more K series being re-done.
72LSK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:03 AM   #25
lukefalls

72LSK10,
I think that I've seen your truck. I used to live in Huntington Beach. I thought that I used to see it around Long Beach. Would have been about 8 years ago.

I've definitely beat it up. Now its time to fix it...right.