The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
z-iowa

'72 C10 Driver

Alright, this will be my first post. Warning: This project will move slow Unfortunately!!!!!!!

So a little background story on how the truck come about, when I was in high school (2002-2007) I was taking auto body classes through a community college, I decided rather than working on the teacher junk I wanted my own junk. So I did some horse trading (literally) for a 1952 Chevy:

Did some work to it and never took the time or had the money to finish it, this is from the day I sold it, 8-31-2012 when I purchased this truck I knew it wasn’t what I wanted, I had always loved the 67-72 bodies…. So I started my search, I looked for about 3 months and I finally found one that was in my price range (tradable) and in decent enough shape for my abilities. I kicked the idea around and finally decided to pull the trigger on 12-16-12 here are some pics from the night I brought her home.. I traded a front clip for a 2001 Chevy S10 and $100 for this old girl……

I know maybe not the best starting canvas but remember I am building a driver not a show truck by any means, When I picked it up I was told it had a brand new transmission I later found out that “brand new” was 3years ago and it had been sitting ever since b/c of a bad carrier bearing and trailing arm…… So first thing on my “to do” list was to get it running…… I did get it to fire and drove it on the trailer, but the mighty 307 was running on 3-4 cylinders. I pulled the plugs and wires and replaced them also put in a HEI distributor…. She runs like a top now. Next step is to replace the carrier bearing and an obvious bad u-joint. So I am kind of at a stand still…… got the parts but haven’t installed so more progress and pictures to come!
Attached Images

z-iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Rusbuilt

Re: '72 C10 Driver

Welcome to the board! Looks like a nice driver, I will be following your progress!
Rusbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
thelonerife

Me too! It kinda looks like my first truck.
thelonerife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
67cheby
67cheby

Welcome !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #5
z-iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusbuilt View Post
Welcome to the board! Looks like a nice driver, I will be following your progress!
Thank you, hope to take it to the shop saturday to install the carrier bearing and check things out a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelonerife View Post
Me too! It kinda looks like my first truck.
Thanks! Its a little rough around the edges but its all there, i suppose thats a start
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
Welcome !
Thank you, i look forward to increasing my knowlege.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
z-iowa

'72 C10 Driver

My temporary solution to the complete window rot until I can find a donor cab that does not have the same cancer. I started by taping off the window seal/ glass, then blew it all out and let it dry for about a week. Next I started filling it with acrylic caulk, I would squirt in a thick run every night until I got to where I could (seal) the cancer holes once I had a backing that was completely dry I used the same acrylic caulk to run a nice fat bead across all the upper windshield. I didn’t document any of this because this is NOT the way to fix the problem! THIS IS TEMPORARY SO THAT I CAN MOVE MY TRUCK OUTSIDE AND NOT FILL IT UP LIKE A WATER BOWL………… Ok here are the pics of it all done now when it reaches above freezing I can take her to the carwash and get it nice and clean to begin the repairs.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
z-iowa

'72 C10 Driver

Here are some other pictures of random problem areas while i was at the farm burning the trash waiting for the fire to calm down a bit....
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
z-iowa

few more.....
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
Rusbuilt

Yeah you have a little rust to repair friend!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:45 AM   #10
z-iowa

Quote:
Yeah you have a little rust to repair friend!
I have decided to scrap the cab, it is so far gone in so many areas I think I will be time/ money ahead to go ahead and find a near perfect cab..... the doors have seen better days but are salvagable unless I stumble on a great deal, bed will be same as cab...... My wife asked me a funny question today...... Why did we get this truck just to keep the frame? Shouldnt we have looked for a cleaner truck? .............. well ummmmmmmm I don't know are you hiding money I didn't know about? Because I would love a cleaner start! haha
Old 01-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #11
Rusbuilt

lol I know how that is
Old 01-04-2013, 01:47 AM   #12
z-iowa

Installed my carrier bearing today and all new u jonts, runs smooth down the road!!!! cant believe how well it tracks, and how smooth it is! but i got some more bad news when I put it up on the lift I knew my spring bucket and hold down was gone on the bottom, but when I lifted her off the ground to day the hole spring fell on the ground here are a few pics didn't get any of the carrier/ joint install.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #13
Rusbuilt

Oh man! Those trailing arms are shot!! I wouldn't be driving it around like that, it looks like it could break off at any second!
Old 01-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #14
z-iowa

Rus, ya I haven't gone out on the highway with it, top speed has been 45 and that was today on a lonley country road other than that I have not taken it out of town.......... I have my long weekend this weekend and I am hoing to pull the bed off and the trailing arms....... get her setting back to safe! Thanks tho I agree......... pretty poor!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #15
Rusbuilt

Do you plan on buying new ones? If you do contact board member Cubber, he bought a set that are way better than the factory one for almost the same price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #16
z-iowa

Quote:
Do you plan on buying new ones? If you do contact board member Cubber, he bought a set that are way better than the factory one for almost the same price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you for the information, I plan on putting some new holders on I believe I will use used ones, if I can find them.............. I am currently working a deal out on 2 "parts" trucks and both of them are in 10x better shape than this one....... So stay tuned for that!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #17
Rusbuilt

I'll be watching!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #18
z-iowa

Well, I went last night to look at a couple parts trucks and ended up striking a deal, I bought a 70 cab, chassis, and bed, and a 71 front clip, and trailing arms. I didn't get any pictures and I wont be able to get them until spring, they are down in this guys backyard and neither one of them look easy to get out........ but for $150 I couldn't complain! They are both in much better shape than mine is! haha
Old 01-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #19
z-iowa

Ok, first off so there is no confusion, I work swing shift so my ”weekends” do not always fall on Saturday and Sunday. This week I work on the "weekend” and have Tuesday/ Wednesday off. So any way when I got off work last night My buddy came over to help me pick the bed off of my truck and set it on the new stand, I am going to pull it apart and start fixing the outside bed panels. The inners, bed floor, and cross braces will be from the donor trucks. Now that the bed is off I will be able to fix some of the problems on the frame as well as get the back half of the frame cleaned up.......... Here is a pick of us after we got the bed put on the stand compliments of my wife haha
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2013, 12:50 AM   #20
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice to see another Iowan on here. Good luck with the truck man!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #21
z-iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Nice to see another Iowan on here. Good luck with the truck man!
Thank you. I hope to have more progress soon though I have been building in my garage it is 4 cylinders shy of what i would like to be building...... My s10 is getting an upgraded heart soon and then i can continue on what i want to finish
Old 04-14-2013, 12:02 AM   #22
z-iowa

Been a while had a guy retire at work which has meant 12 hour days 7 days a week since February finally slowing down hoping to make a little progress........ did manage to get the 2.2 in the s10 but having some trouble keeping the transmission in working order...... maybe 15lbs of boost is to much for a stock 2.2/ 5 speed? Haha anyway stay tuned pics to come within a few days!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #23
z-iowa

Well I have been in between some things in life. Having 2 kids and a wife that is still in school is expensive. So things have been tight to say the least I did manage to get some things done (mostly disassembly) but hey at least I took pictures? Ha Ha

I got the bed taken apart the bed floor was rotted out awfully. I hope to be able to cut some patches out of the old bed and make 2 descent bed sides out of all the panels I have.

This is the spare cab I got it is more solid than the one I have in the way of the roof is not rotted and the cab corners, rockers, and inner rockers are at least there.

This is where the truck is sitting now, I have to be able to move it around to keep the HOA happy so thats the way it is.

This is the day I brought the pickup to the farm I still have a front clip to go pick up at the ole boys house I got the blue cab and frame from.

Then this is the day I pulled the cab off the frame and brought it to the house.

That brings you all up to date. I need to get my oxy/acetylene bottles filled to cut some things off the frame that I no longer need so that will be the next up to date. (With any luck)
Old 06-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #24
z-iowa

Looking at these pictures makes me realize I should stop for a while and clean up shop lol looks dirty!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #25
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Have you had any spare time to work on your truck?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote