The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
gag1025

Seat Question

I bought a set of bucket seats for my '53 Chevy truck. They have arm rests on the inside only as well as a lumbar adjustment knob which is located beside the power seat adjustment control switches and the mechanical back adjust lever. The shoulder harness is mounted on the seat beside the head rest. The guy said he thought they came out of a 1999 Chevy or GMC but was not sure of the model. Any suggestions? I will remove the arm rest before having them covered because I think they look better in the truck without them. Plus if I have to remove the leather seat covering in the future to get to the upper part of the shoulder harness assembly it will be much easier to peel the seat cover off without having to remove the arm rest and then put it back on. I also bought two used control units for the power seats (because the passenger side has one of the 3 control levers broken off as well as missing the switch cover and the driver side is missing the switch cover). These units come with the cover attached. They sell for $150.00 each at the Chevy dealership. I found used ones on eBay for $35 each (which was a win-win for me since they come with a 14 day return policy). The lumbar knob had to be removed before I could remove the unit and what I thought was going to be a difficult removal actually was easy once I found out how to do it. Getting the arm rest off was a difficult task. At least getting to the clip that holds it on required three hands. As always all help is appreciated.

Last edited by gag1025; 05-13-2014 at 09:19 PM.
gag1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Seat Question

No clue but a photo would help...
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:59 PM   #3
gag1025

I will take a photo of the driver side Sat. and post it. Too late for the passenger side seat because it is apart.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
Speedbumpauto

Got mine out of a 99 Silverado and they're just like the ones you are talking about except no seat belt. I removed the arm rest and head rests before the upholstery for about the same reasons + the headrests stuck up in the back window. I think the built in seat belts started in 2000 or 2001. My 2005 has them.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
nvrdone

see if you can find a part # on the seat & call your local GM dealer. They should be able to tell you what vehicles that seat came in
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #6
gag1025

None of the part nos. are of much help. I did remove the lumbar knob (which you have to do to get the seat control unit out) and bought 2 used power seat control units (the ones that came in the truck needed replacing for various reasons) on eBay for $35 each (the Chevy parts dept. wanted $135 each) tested them out and they work great. The part no. was stamped on the unit so and was the same as the ones I bought on eBay. I was told my seats had to come from a 1999 or later since it had an arm rest, lumbar adjuster knob and a built in shoulder harness. I saw the photo of a 1999 Chevy Silverado on eBay and the seat looked just like mine. I looked up a 1898 Chevy Silverado and this truck did not have those features so I am assuming that the 1999 statement is correct. I am enclosing the eBay photos from a 2001 Chevy Silverado. I took the seats apart and removed the arm rest (because I will have the upholstery guy fill in the space and cover over it) and I painted over the bare metal frame because it was beginning to show signs of surface rust. I am interested in whether or not 1999 was the first year was they made this particular seat. Sorry about the small size of the photo. I was going to remove it and try to find a larger photo but could not find a way to remove it in the edit feature. So, I guess you need to get aout a magnifying glass if you want a closer look.
Attached Images

Last edited by gag1025; 05-18-2014 at 11:55 AM.
gag1025 is offline   Reply With Quote