The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #201
Ackattack

Re: Project Family Chummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Are your time estimates always off like mine are? There's always some thing not allowing some thing else to work like you had planned. Haha
Here and there they're off. I usually plan a little generous so if things go according to plan I save some time...that then gets eaten up by the problems

For example I have 16 hrs planned for wiring. I don't think it actually take that long, but we'll see. I looked at wiring diagrams longer today and think I have a good plan for hooking it all up.

I'm not planning on running the fuel heater, and having the air heaters on a switch on the dash for now. Eventually I want to run some sort of a circuit that is on a timer or based on the air temp sensor (or both) so its automatic, but that takes too much time for right now.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #202
ryanroo

My spreadsheet is an empty place in my head with tumblweeds and windblown snow. i am terrible at planning on a micro scale. i have to have guidelines and then plenty of space and time to wander around inside them...

Ryan

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #203
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

I use a spreadsheet too. To write down all my tasks to finish a job, and then throw it away because it is too long. Actually for my crew cab build i have a spiral bound FULL of measurements and notes.
Posted via Mobile Device

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #204
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
I use a spreadsheet too. To write down all my tasks to finish a job, and then throw it away because it is too long. Actually for my crew cab build i have a spiral bound FULL of measurements and notes.
Posted via Mobile Device
I've never written lists on my truck builds because I'm usually not in a hurry to get them done. Customer trucks however, I make lists and they always seem to grow. Let's change this, or this, or this.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #205
Ackattack

I make lists while I'm at work during boring meetings and then put them on the spreadsheet. It helps me get things done rather than wonder around the garage trying to figure out whats next. Plus, I use it to make sure (for the most part) I have the parts I need since I know whats coming up.

Worked on wiring tonight. Got the dodge/engine wiring stripped down to only what I'll use and tossed the rest. About 10 wires total to hook up to make the engine run and then a few more for guages and that's about it.

I did pull all of the dodge A/C wiring out of the harnness and coiled it up for when I get to it down the road. I must say, I really don't like Dodge's wiring. Dumb connectors here and there and not where you need them (I remember pulling the door off and not a connector at the door WTF?) and then they have relays running relays that are then mounted on the firewall. I'm going to "relocated" the fuel shutdown relay onto the side of the GM underhood fuse panel like it "should be"

I do need to get the right temp. senor for the guage. I got the temp sensor that is for the ECM. I also have to figure out which wire on the oil pressure guage is for the pressure vs the switch. It has 3 wires and I only need one.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:07 AM   #206
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
I make lists while I'm at work during boring meetings and then put them on the spreadsheet. It helps me get things done rather than wonder around the garage trying to figure out whats next. Plus, I use it to make sure (for the most part) I have the parts I need since I know whats coming up.

Worked on wiring tonight. Got the dodge/engine wiring stripped down to only what I'll use and tossed the rest. About 10 wires total to hook up to make the engine run and then a few more for guages and that's about it.

I did pull all of the dodge A/C wiring out of the harnness and coiled it up for when I get to it down the road. I must say, I really don't like Dodge's wiring. Dumb connectors here and there and not where you need them (I remember pulling the door off and not a connector at the door WTF?) and then they have relays running relays that are then mounted on the firewall. I'm going to "relocated" the fuel shutdown relay onto the side of the GM underhood fuse panel like it "should be"

I do need to get the right temp. senor for the guage. I got the temp sensor that is for the ECM. I also have to figure out which wire on the oil pressure guage is for the pressure vs the switch. It has 3 wires and I only need one.
1. I usually have an "alternate agenda" at work also
B. You are absolutely right, having goals keeps you focused on work and help get things done in the right order. You are definitely more organized than me. 4. Can you use the GM sensors in the Cummins for oil, temp, and fuel? I can see the crank sensor being an issue for RPM due to pulse width. All that stuff is Way down on my list.

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 01-22-2013, 01:10 AM   #207
ryanroo

Quote:
its a good idea, and i make lists all the time, but they are usually on my scratch pad at work and end up as file 13 fodder. i bought a whiteboard to make my list on for the garage, but i still forget to follow it. usually for me, something on the list leads to a new idea that takes over for me and so on till i forget the list. oh hey wanna go ride bikes? hey look a penny....

i remember thinking the dodge wiring was f-ed up too. i pulled the entire harness mostly intact and couldnt actually fit it through the firewall because of the end connector. dumb. it was like they assembled it on the vehicle and had no good way to replace it.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #208
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Can you use the GM sensors in the Cummins for oil, temp, and fuel? I can see the crank sensor being an issue for RPM due to pulse width. All that stuff is Way down on my list.
Yes you can use the GM sensor in the 5.9. His engine should be pipe threads so as long as the GM OP sensor is 1/8" pipe, it'll screw in. Just beware that the OE type sensors can fail over time due to the higher oil pressure created from these engines. If the GM fitting is metric, you can get adaptive fittings from Tompkins.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #209
cAlvis165

Quote:
1. I usually have an "alternate agenda" at work also
B. You are absolutely right, having goals keeps you focused on work and help get things done in the right order. You are definitely more organized than me. 4. Can you use the GM sensors in the Cummins for oil, temp, and fuel? I can see the crank sensor being an issue for RPM due to pulse width. All that stuff is Way down on my list.
1. , B. , 4. ...

It toook me a minute but then...

Great work on the Chummins, Ackattack. I'm loving how it's coming together.

DD 2000 Chevy Suburban 4x4/5.3 Vortec/4L60E/4:10s, 18" Escalade rims, Electric fans
Project Dooley One-Ton 4x4 on 38.5s Corn-binder build
cAlvis165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:17 AM   #210
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Yes you can use the GM sensor in the 5.9. His engine should be pipe threads so as long as the GM OP sensor is 1/8" pipe, it'll screw in. Just beware that the OE type sensors can fail over time due to the higher oil pressure created from these engines. If the GM fitting is metric, you can get adaptive fittings from Tompkins.
the GM oil pressure sensor I got has 1/4 MNPT, so I used an adapter.

class tonight, so no progress
Old 01-24-2013, 12:52 AM   #211
Ackattack

A little more wiring done. Got the oil pressure guage, shutdown solenoid and shutdown relay wired. I think at this point if I installed a battery (and fuel lines) it would run....but I'll do a bit more work before then.

One thing I have to do is get some hydraulic hoses. When I sold the 454 I apparently left the pressure and return line on the power steering pump attached. I'm going to go to the local salvage yard this weekend and see if they happen to have those. It may be difficult since I need the line going from the power steering pump to the hydroboost and the return line since most of the stuff is half ton without hydroboost. Maybe I'll get lucky.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:03 AM   #212
Ackattack

Got a few things done / started.

I had to get longer bolts for the rearmost cab mounts. So then I got all of the cab bolts in and tightened down. That then allowed me to put the rear seat in. Got the seat belts in.

Drilled out the banjo bolt from the lift pump to the injection pump and tapped it with pipe thread and installed a needle valve (after I cleaned everything really well).

Wired up the lights for my guages.

I ended up ordering the hydroboost line, and it showed up today, so I got that installed too.

I also got the external regulator wired up.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #213
Ackattack

Gotten some things done since my last update

I went to go change the timing. I was going to set it at 16.5 degrees. So I disassembled all sorts of things to be able to do it, got all set up and started by checking the timing to know where I was at. Stock timing is 12.5 degrees. Well the engine was already set at 16.8 degrees, so that's where I left it at. Kinda disappointing since I went to all that work and spent $250 for tools to adjust the timing. Oh well.

I also got most of the interior put back in, bed bolted down, rear axle centered, started installing the parking brakes, upper radiator hose, fenders, boost guage, and a bunch of little stuff.

I'm waiting on some parts to finish her up. I'm hoping to be able to start it up by next weekend!

The drive shaft is in my 'burb to get dropped of at the driveshaft shop to be modified.

I'll be ordering wheels/tires next week!

I need to take pictures, but most of the work I've done is little detail crap. I mean how to photograph that I spent 2 hrs verifying the timing?

Another "hurdle" I have to get over is having the highway patrol inspect the truck. Normally I wouldn't have to do this, but in my attempt to save a little money, when I bought the GMC, I didn't want to register it, so I put it in an "off road" status. Well to get it back to "highway use" status it has to be inspected. Not worth the $30 I "might" have saved.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #214
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

We all learn stuff like that when it comes to titles/tags etc. Some thought I was nuts, but I got all of my junk titled and tagged when I got them....and 2 have never seen the road yet....one probably never will....unless I get crazy and start a 3rd build on my titled frame.

As you said sometimes spending the few bucks out front is way worth the hassles you have to go thru later.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:28 AM   #215
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
We all learn stuff like that when it comes to titles/tags etc. Some thought I was nuts, but I got all of my junk titled and tagged when I got them....and 2 have never seen the road yet....one probably never will....unless I get crazy and start a 3rd build on my titled frame.

As you said sometimes spending the few bucks out front is way worth the hassles you have to go thru later.
My dad is a state trooper (that's who told me about this rule after the fact) but he lives about 3-1/2 hrs away and can't make it over to do the inspection himself...so I got to call the local office.

On to more exciting things:

I worked on the plumbing. First I made my lower coolant line. The cummins has a large coolant suction inlet but the radiator is a little smaller. So I got a 2" to 1-1/2" exhaust reducer and put them together.

Then I got the inner cooler pipe from the turbo back on and then made up the heater hose lines. Like I mentioned earlier, it is a VERY tight squeeze to get the lower radiator hose on cause it is so close to touching the innercooler inlet. A little WD-40 on the radiator hose and inner cooler inlet helped a little

And here's a shot of the interior with the rear seat installed:

th th that's all folks
Old 02-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #216
Ackattack

A little more progress today: I went ahead and finished her up and got her painted. New wheels too:

Old 02-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #217
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Lenghtened the bed back to 8 footer too huh! What happened to the solid axle front?!

I do love that truck though... I have a picture of it from the left saved as a "someday"... I got it off the 88-98 pictures thread. thanks, now I can't concentrate, I'm dreaming about a truck!

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 02-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #218
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
A little more progress today: I went ahead and finished her up and got her painted. New wheels too:

I knew you moved along fast on your builds....but man...before the pic loaded I thought you had become Super Prject Man! :0

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #219
Ackattack

Picked up my driveshaft today: $880 and that was reusing the front and rear pieces! They had use to a new center slip yoke/splined shaft/carrier bearing. Oh well, got to pay to play.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #220
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Quote:
Picked up my driveshaft today: $880 and that was reusing the front and rear pieces! They had use to a new center slip yoke/splined shaft/carrier bearing. Oh well, got to pay to play.
Wow man! i had my front built from scratch for 280!!!! is yours aluminum?

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #221
ryanroo

HOLY COW!

that seems steep even with the two piece design. who did you use for the driveline?

Old 02-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #222
Ackattack

Well, here is the driveshaft:

I tried looking for it, but I couldn't find the gold plating

I did get the driveshaft installed.

I also got the airfilter installed. This one is known as the "BHAF" in the cummins world....Big Honkin Air Filter. And it is pretty big.

Unfortunately the washer tank won't fit....it hits the innercooler piping. The other complication is that the tank also acts as a base for the battery as well. Since I can't use it as is, I attempted to heat it up and mold it to fit around the pipe. Well I heated it up and as I was trying to form it, I kind of "tore" a hole in it. So I'll have to come up with a washer tank (guess its a good excuse to go ahead and get that water/meth injection setup )

I also got my guages installed. I still have to wire up the lighting wire to them, no biggie though.

I'm hoping to fire up the engine this weekend! We'll see if I get that far.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:06 AM   #223
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:

I did get the driveshaft installed.

I also got the airfilter installed. This one is known as the "BHAF" in the cummins world....Big Honkin Air Filter. And it is pretty big.

Unfortunately the washer tank won't fit....it hits the innercooler piping. The other complication is that the tank also acts as a base for the battery as well. Since I can't use it as is, I attempted to heat it up and mold it to fit around the pipe. Well I heated it up and as I was trying to form it, I kind of "tore" a hole in it. So I'll have to come up with a washer tank (guess its a good excuse to go ahead and get that water/meth injection setup )

I also got my guages installed. I still have to wire up the lighting wire to them, no biggie though.

I'm hoping to fire up the engine this weekend! We'll see if I get that far.
The 88-94 had the washer bottle on top of the inner fender where your ECM was, it if memory serves is a bolt in fit, you may need to swap the inner fender, as well the drivers side battery tray for those years will be self supporting and should work with the Cummins.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:26 AM   #224
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Quote:

Maybe it's made of adimantium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
The 88-94 had the washer bottle on top of the inner fender where your ECM was, it if memory serves is a bolt in fit, you may need to swap the inner fender, as well the drivers side battery tray for those years will be self supporting and should work with the Cummins.
Yep it's a bolt in. 88-95 I believe. My 95 yukon is mounted there. My 96 K2500 was under the battery.

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 02-08-2013, 01:33 AM   #225
ryanroo

Quote:
Maybe it's made of adimantium.