The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2004, 04:19 PM   #1
cib101abn
Screaming Eagle

402 bb bearing wear...

I have a 402 bored .030 that was rebuilt by a reputable company and sat for a year in prev. owner's garage before I bought it. I questioned the rebuilder and he said the bearings were put on with white grease and there should be no problem with it sitting that amount of time..I have about 2000 miles on the engine and started getting a low end engine knock just after my last oil change. Found out I had a quart too much in oil, drained 1 qt, checked next day and it was 1 qt too low....don't ask me how!

Pulled the engine and broke it down, #8 bearing badly worn, crank has some scarring that may not polish out, may need turning, signs of wear on others.

Looking for a possible cause...did it sit too long or did I screw up on the oil level somehow? Only had 100 miles on new oil change when the knock became a serious concern....now I am second guessing if I shouldn't have broke it down at first and made a visible inspection before cranking it up.

Any ideas as to what may have happened...I don't rap it out, only once or twice just to see what it would do, the last time may have been about the time the knock started, but it should have had enough miles on it for the oil circulation to work, unless the caps weren't torqued right, dunno...
79 Chev SWB w400 sm blk being built
remnants of 72 Cheyenne (selling)
cib101abn is offline   Reply With Quote