The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #1
FunKing85

1979 C20 Quad Cab

Recently purchased this 1979 C20 Silverado Camper special, 454/th400 quad cab. This will be my third square, still have the other two. I have another build thread I regularly neglect on here as well, Its my 85 k10. Never enough time.
Anyway, I had been looking for this combo for about a year and came across this one in Cordele, Georgia, drove my 85 up there, struck a deal and me and my girlfriend drove her home that night. Had to replace the water pump about halfway through, but it honestly wasn't that bad and I was prepared with all the necessary tools and beer, company was good too. So, fast forward about a month, losing power, losing coolant, got hot, long story short head gaskets are shot. I personally have never done a set but i had just got through tearing my v6 down in my longbead for the same reason so I was well on my way to learning how. As It sits right now, its all back together, I had it running for a while when it developed a coolant leak out of the exhaust ports. Checked the intake, wasn't torqued down properly, fixed that then the starter gave out on me and I've been chasing my tail with that, all waiting to see if I did it right or not!

I'll try and keep posting, I'm on here everyday researching anyways.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2019, 09:51 AM   #2
FunKing85

Re: 1979 C20 Quad Cab

Pics:
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2019, 12:01 PM   #3
82Diesel

WOW! Talk about a real GEM right there can't say the last time I seen one that nice.
Damn...
82Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:07 AM   #4
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Nice truck. Looking forward to seeing more of it.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:05 PM   #5
FunKing85

Well a cracked flywheel with some very well ground teeth amongst many other things has spurred a decision, motor is comin out. Hate that I spent all that time and money on the head gaskets just to yank it, but honestly I need to know this is all done correct and proper and I wont be happy until its fresh all the way through, this will give me a chance to get the trans re-done and hopefully my sleep will improve for many months to come. We'll see. Today I removed the front clip, removed all the necessary components up top to pull the 454, tomorrow will be the trans and everything I forgot today.
This truck really is somethin special, a catch 22 however. The only thing I have come across that isnt exact factory spec is the carb, it was originally TBI, but other than that shes bone stock down to the rubber, and it shows. I love that its all GM, no hack job, but fighting 35+ years of work and wear leaves me with a boat load of resto work. I plan in keeping it all GM, with upgrades where I see fit. Pics to come, did everything solo today and didnt get a camera break. Comments keep me motivated!
Old 04-04-2019, 09:39 AM   #6
FunKing85

Pics:
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2019, 07:57 AM   #7
LT7A

Great looking truck.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:23 PM   #8
FunKing85

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Great looking truck.
Thanks!
Old 04-05-2019, 06:36 PM   #9
FunKing85

Decided to knock some items off the list today after work, have to make it an early night, I get up at 4 for work and i'm back at it again tomorrow. Got the calipers, rotors and hub bearings removed in preparation for the removal of the upper and lower A Arms, sway bar, shocks and tie rods. I plan on soaking, cleaning and repainting all the suspension parts and reassembling with new rubber all around. The drivers side hub had been serviced for sure, new dust cap and mangled cotter pin, but the passenger side almost looked untouched, perhaps just done correctly long ago. Everything is absolutely covered in an inch or so of Georgia clay, need to get my hands on a pressure washer soon. Just the boring ol tear down stuff, but hey, it's somethin to keep busy on.

My main priority is trying to locate a motor builder/machine shop thats local to me to take the 454 to for the rebuild, get the conversation going on exactly what I need out of this motor and the specs. More to come.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2019, 06:42 PM   #10
FunKing85

Also removed the inner fender on the passenger side, it had the typical rust and unfortunately its eaten up the core support. Guess i'm on the hunt for a 73-80 core support. Can't swing buying a new one from the main sources, thats money well spent other places but the rust just wont do! Time to hit the forums and see what I can dig up.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2019, 12:34 PM   #11
FunKing85

Been getting some items checked off, havent had much time to post. I ended up having to spend half my motor fund on fixing my new macbook I spilled water on. $1100 bucks! That coupled with your run of the mill bills and life, well you know how it is. The good news is I have the front of the frame in color, after many flap disks and wire wheels and scotch brite and sore fingers. Front suspension just about tied up, new upper and lower control arms, poly bushings, ball joints all around, inner and outer bearings and races (hubs checked out when I micd them so I reused them) calipers and brake hoses. I have yet to decide on springs because I have yet to decide on the motor choice.
Pics:
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2019, 12:48 PM   #12
FunKing85

Motor and trans came out without a hitch, having the front clip off made it a breeze, I did it all by myself in about two hours, found a motor crane for 60 bucks via LetGo. Cool stuff. Heres my current plan, (changes with the wind) I initially wanted the stock 454/th400 but after pricing out a full big block rebuild, LS motors are looking a lot more attractive. I have never done a swap, I almost loathe how stereotypical it is, but theres a reason its all the rage. Im leaning towards an LQ4 or an LQ9. I am after smooth operating reliable highway cruising, keeping in mind I'll be towing a pretty significant amount of weight. LS1tech has been my bible as of late, as well as a few chevelle/camaro forums. Heres where I think I'll lose a few of you. I think I'm going with the ol organized fuel leak called a carb. It is significantly cheaper, way more my style. I kinda like the blend of new motor with old school bits, staying true to the OE but getting what I want as well. Edelbrock and Holley have enough options to cover anything carbureted, MSD 6014 for the spark, dirty dingo mounts, trans control may not be an issue if I use my th400, but perhaps upgrading that is in the cards as well. I would love to hear some opinions and feedback, not to many shops or friends around here to brainstorm with! Tell me what I forgot!
Old 05-26-2019, 01:06 PM   #13
FunKing85

I removed the bed to get access to all the crusty goodness under there, gonna try and get those cab mounts removed and replaced, the passenger side tank "hasn't ever worked" according to the P.O. Gonna stay with the dual tank setup most likely, I know it'll be a pain re-plumbing all that stuff but I really do dig the stock saddle tank/switcher thing. Little things that make these trucks special in my opinion. New shocks and possibly leaf packs, more research to do in that area, Possibly air shocks for adjustability for when the camper is on there. More frame prep and sanding to be done, gonna use the same coating I used on the front, a cheaper rattle can version. One day i'll be able to do a full cab off rotisserie deal, but not this time. My 87 single cab longbed v6 gave up its beautiful bed, and in return now has a mismatched rustry bed on it, but leaves me with a perfect bed to start with. Gonna under coat it and get it all preped while I am waiting for the $ to build up.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2019, 01:08 PM   #14
FunKing85

Please ignore the ugly fenders on my K10, It runs great tho! Been my daily for about 3 years now.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #15
FunKing85

Well, after re-reading glocks thread for the 30th time, as well as menace's thread, Things have changed. Ditching the carb idea. After throughly pricing things out its almost the same, within about 200 bucks, so EFI it is for all the same reasons everyone else ditched carbs like 20 years ago. LKQ has a LQ4 ECU/Harness/pedal/Tac/accessories for reasonable prices, close enough for pickup to save on shipping so thats the first step.

I would like to do a 4l80e with the LQ4, more research to do to find if its truly necessary to do that or a 4l60e. I was happy to find the plethora of info on this pretty basic swap, still a mildly daunting task for me, I'll be doing all this solo and as always, on a budget. Finding all the little details and facets of the build before I buy anything, so no real update here, just chuggin along saving some money.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:13 PM   #16
FunKing85

Well, I've spent hours and hours of reading as of late, Compiling a plan and a list, pricing things out and making decisions. I am pretty dead set on the LQ4 4l80e setup. I was happy to find so much info on this swap, I picked that combo without any idea so many people were doing it, guess I'm on the right track. Heres my list, missing a lot, may not be to clear but it is just the beginning, likely to change:

-LS
$12-1500.00

LQ4/4L80E (with overdrive)
-6.0L LQ4
Pedal assembly
TAC box
PCM
Harness
Crank sensor gray/black Black = 24x Gray = 58x
Accessories
Trans yoke
y-pipe and O2 sensors
MAF
radiator
hoses
fan

-Holley Terminator X 1300?

4L80E $700.00
-EGS Adjustable Column Arm for GM TH-350, TH-400 and 700-R4 60 (stock linkage may work)

Fuel system
-New Baffled tanks USA1 $80.00 x2
Return/returnless fuel rail?
Wiring
Regulator/filter
Fuel line
Switching valve
Spectra premium SP05M1H $57.00 x2

Exhaust
-Hooker cast iron headers $315.00

Harness
-BP automotive standalone harness DBW 4L80E EV 1 injectors $585.00

PCM
-stock
-wait4meperformance for the tune 100.00?

Motor mounts
-Dirty dingo
-stock clamshell
$115.00

Trans mounts
-May line up, free
-2wd Mount and Crossmember Kit by Muscle Rods, comes with all motor mount and trans crossmember, Hardware. $479.00

AC bracket
-DD $250.00 plus $275 for sander comp.
-Novak ACG3-3 $329.00 allows for stock compressor. w/tensioner and hardware. (Looks better)

Radiator
-Be cool, shroud fans wires hoses tank cap
$660.00

Trans cooler line fittings
07 and up truck water pump?
Brake booster vacuum line
Coolant return/steam line on the head
temp gauge sending unit adapter
Oil pressure sensor

Total- 4578.00 for listed items with prices
$5,000.00 goal

Prices always change, some will be cheaper some will be more. Once I get my actual motor in hand, I can be way more specific and get some real part numbers and go from there.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #17
sweetk30

nice build plan and starter rig .

list looks good . but only thing i will add is after the way i was treated and crap parts he sent me 2x i will never use dirty dingo again .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:47 AM   #18
FunKing85

Surprised to hear that, but i've never had experience with them so I guess I wouldnt know. The Muscle Rod kit is way more inclusive, but about 350 bucks more. If I have to move my trans mount, I'll probably go with that.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #19
sweetk30

few options for you from solid vendors of square body stuff .

http://diy4x.com/home.php?cat=252

or

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Gen...pterPlates.htm

back in the day dirty dingo was shipping out mounts with COLD welds and then when i called him out on it he got all defensive and crazy and angry with me . i have a writeup in a few forums other than here on this . they looked good untill i blasted them in prep for getting painted . then the weld showed a cold weld and some spots i could slip a sheet of paper in to the gap . he has changed his design since but even so his treatment to me has turned me off his of ever sending money his way .

Old 06-18-2019, 12:50 PM   #20
FunKing85

Awesome info man, Appreciate the links. The offroad design ones are lookin like a good option, I like that they specifically state it will keep the driveline exactly where it was.
As for DD, Customer service rules all IMO, the best products can be ruined by a bad salesman.

Latest on the motor situation, LQK is out. Five different calls to get some basic questions answered, no one called me back. When I finally got a quote, it was way beyond what was initially talked about. They want 4K for a LQ4 and a 4l80E, no accessories, no wiring, no pedal no tac box. So thats a definite no. With the bad comes the good however, found a guy an hour away from that specializes in insurance wrecks. He's got an LQ9 still in an escalade running and driving, all the bells and whistles for a decent price and he seemed ready to do business, full of info and helpful. Headed there Thursday to check it out, if I like what I see he'll have it pulled and packed up in three days. Gettin down to it!
Old 06-18-2019, 06:43 PM   #21
sweetk30

yes customer service in my opinion win's or looses any more sales .

i would buy stock in offroad design if they sold it . i have purchased so much over the years . sometimes when you call the owner even answers the phone . and the ladys that do also KNOW what there selling and if any of the people dont they find the answer for you before the sale is done .

as for the lkq it would be better to have a friend in a shop get it for you .

i think the better deal tho is the running / driving unit you can go hear run and drive it . i dont trust any one on used take out if i cant here it run and see some gauges .

Old 07-04-2019, 04:55 PM   #22
FunKing85

Motor Acquired!!! Excited to get going now! 2004 LQ9 DBW out of an Escalade. I got 95% of what I wanted from the guy, just missing radiator and hoses. Got it home on my birthday too, happy birthday to me!. Spent two days cleaning and two days painting, interested to see what everyone thinks of the color choice, been back and forth myself but its Corporate blue, ordered just for this. Pics:
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2019, 04:57 PM   #23
FunKing85

Attached Images

Old 02-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #24
FunKing85

Long overdue update, I've moved and life marches on. Swap is going steady, progress has been made. Good news is I am now in a more legitimate shop, have way more space and way more tools at my disposal, only thing is I have to drive 20 minutes to get there but thats ok, keeps me disciplined. Motor and trans is installed, ended up going with a 4l65e unit from Jasper transmissions, it was convenient and close, built in 2016. I still have my reservations about this, I really wanted an 80E but we'll see.
BP took care of me with a show stopper harness and ECU exactly for my setup, harness is in and mostly routed, mocked up the ECU mounts as well.
The big win was the fuel system, all re-done with 87 model senders, Walboro 255 pumps, all new EFI hoses and clamps, new pollack valve, new corvette regulator, new tanks, new harness and switch, functioning and leak tested. This honestly took me weeks to research and rebuild, couldn't have done it without this site. Only thing left is to hook the feed line to the fuel rail, waiting on the A/N fitting/adapter to complete that.
I've also been working on the truck that used to be my parts truck, with what I had laying around and a 600 donor truck, I have it back on the road so thats been eating some time but its nice to see it work again, always nice to have another running vehicle.

I am currently at a standstill however, and it all comes down to skill and wiring. With the info from BP and the internet, I am sure I will figure this out but the routing and length and connections and locations for everything is daunting as hell for me. I would absolutely hate to mess something up at this point and I've been searching for a clear guide on this, which is difficult because everyone does it different. Any help on the wiring front would be greatly appreciated, consider me a novice. Pictures to come, I know a post is no good without them!