The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2019, 04:59 PM   #1
nadodave

Towing with a C10 panel

I was planning to install a receiver hitch on my 63 panel and use it for occasional towing (vehicle trailer). I have coil springs (of course) in the back with air shocks. I also have a mildly warmed over 350 with a 700R4. Is there anything I should add to make it a better/safer tow vehicle?

TIA
Posted via Mobile Device
nadodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:50 PM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Towing with a C10 panel

If your trailer has electric brakes, I would install a brake controller in your Panel. Does the panel still have 4 wheel drum brakes?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:23 AM   #3
nadodave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
If your trailer has electric brakes, I would install a brake controller in your Panel. Does the panel still have 4 wheel drum brakes?
Good point! I will install a brake controller. I installed a 71 C10 front end with disc brakes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-03-2019, 06:13 AM   #4
rsavage

Transmission cooler.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #5
nadodave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
Transmission cooler.
Something more than the lines running to my radiator?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-03-2019, 11:29 PM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That would depend on what your towing weight will be, whether you are on flat land or mountain passes and how often and in what type of weather. It might not be a bad idea to install a trans temp gauge to start with so you can keep an eye on the trans temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadodave View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:10 AM   #7
rsavage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadodave View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
You are in a warm weather state. A transmission cooler could save your transmission. Basic cooler is cheap insurance. I have towed all my life and if one of my tow vehicles didn't have a tow package with an auxiliary cooler on it, I put one on. Cheap insurance. Here is an example.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-679/overview/
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:45 PM   #8
nadodave

Thanks for all the advice. I was a bit surprised that a trans cooler (in addition to the stock in radiator cooler) would be required, but it does look like cheap insurance. It is not my plan to tow great distances or over mountains, but one never knows
Old 11-09-2019, 03:39 PM   #9
spacedebris

I used to tow professionally a number of years ago. Some things that I personally found that may help are...

I'm assuming your panel has barn doors (panels tend to have barn doors while the burbs typically had the clamshell). So no rear windows and the small windows in the barn doors limit rear view significantly. Now when towing infrequently this can be slightly annoying but a simple set of "extendo-mirrors" that you can clamp on when towing may be all you need. But if you tow frequently you may want to invest in a cheap wireless magnetic camera that will tie to your phone that you can use to keep an eye on your load and watch for hazards may a welcome safety feature.

Like said above, a trans cooler is cheap insurance. It may not be absolutely necessary in all cases but it cant hurt and it is cheap enough to be worth it.

And the last bit of advise I have is that you take extra care when doing normal maintenance and pre-trip checks. We can all get a little lazy on not checking oil, coolant, break, and other fluids all the time. Or not changing the oil exactly at 5000 miles (or whatever your regimen is). So before any tow just check everything, fluids, belts, hoses, tires, breaks, etc. before setting off. I know this seems like common sense but I cant tell you the number of times I saw a neighbor or friend set off on a towing trip without doing so and then get a phone call to come out and help them when a hose burst or fan belt broke and left them stranded when a simple check before would have prevented it.

Oh, one more thing... watch the wind. I notice your in S. Ca and the wind up in the desert, especially out in the areas between barstow, NV, and AZ can be difficult on trucks with a broad profile such as a panel, especially if you have any kind of trailer that also has a broad profile such as a toy hauler or camper. Its bad enough with just the truck but add a trailer into the mix and you can get into trouble quickly.
1960 c30 Apache Panel w/ '95 cummins bt6 turbo diesel (work in progress) NOTE: due to photobucket trying to extort money my photos are temporarily unavailable. currently looking for alternative to fix issue.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523009
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:55 AM   #10
1966burb

I tow a 16 foot Shasta trailer that I tow behind my 66 burb. I have CargoCoil rear springs, air shocks, trans cooler, and brake control.

I still could not stop well enough so I put disc brakes on the front. I have a POWERGLIDE which is not the best for towing. Going to change to a 700R4.
1966burb is offline   Reply With Quote