The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2015, 08:02 PM   #1
Mgicm

67 chevy 250. No crank, start, lights

So I have a 67 chevy step van which is same as c10 basically. Started it fine today. Wenr back about an hour later and nothing. No crank, no dash lights ,no headlights, no nothing. Brand new battery today and same. 12v light test showed power at big bolt on starter. Nothing on other terminal which has wire to ignition switch. Fuses all look good. This one has me stumped as it just started an hour ago. I am stumped. I put screwdriver across both starter bolts..big spark and sounded like it was cranking. Screwdriver fell as it startled me a bit..assumed I would get nothing. Just don't get it...why no power anywhere...and it worked.fine earlier.

A side bizarre thing is I found something dangling under the truck..with wires to it. No idea what it is.. pic attched. Looks like some kind of switch.

Thanks kevin
Attached Images

Mgicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:18 PM   #2
firedemon

Re: 67 chevy 250. No crank, start, lights

hard to tell from the years of build up but looks like a ground maybe also could the neutral safety be bad ?
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:22 PM   #3
Mgicm

How would headlights not work if neutral safety switch?

Any idea what that thing is hanging?
Old 09-21-2015, 08:42 PM   #4
EARNHARDT#3

Is there a bulkhead connector on your firewall? I had the same issue and found my bulkhead connection needed to be cleaned up. I used electrical spray cleaner, a brass brush and then coated the terminals with dielectric grease.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:51 PM   #5
leftybass209

You would have power at the starter lug, because the battery cable is just an extention of the battery itself, minus whatever the resistance is.

You need to trace the 1 wire that runs from your battery, to a junction, and on to the fuse block. That's your source of power for the whole van.

You can also do a quick visual check for loose terminals, corrosion, and proper grounds.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:53 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgicm View Post
So I have a 67 chevy step van which is same as c10 basically. Started it fine today. Wenr back about an hour later and nothing. No crank, no dash lights ,no headlights, no nothing. Brand new battery today and same. 12v light test showed power at big bolt on starter. Nothing on other terminal which has wire to ignition switch. Fuses all look good. This one has me stumped as it just started an hour ago. I am stumped. I put screwdriver across both starter bolts..big spark and sounded like it was cranking. Screwdriver fell as it startled me a bit..assumed I would get nothing. Just don't get it...why no power anywhere...and it worked.fine earlier.

A side bizarre thing is I found something dangling under the truck..with wires to it. No idea what it is.. pic attched. Looks like some kind of switch.

Thanks kevin

You wouldn't have power to the small terminal on the solenoid unless the key was in the "Start" position. I don't recognize the switch but I'm bettin' it is the neutral safety switch and that is why your starter circuit is dead.... As far as the headlights check the fuse.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:01 PM   #7
Mgicm

I turn the key and never get power to the small terminal. I should say i hold the 12v tester and someone tries to start it. Nothing.

Basically only power I get is to big bolt on starter never anywhere else.

Where would fuse block get power from..? The fuse block is so high under dash very hard to even see up there...let alone where wires run. It's a stepvan not pickup.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:22 PM   #8
EARNHARDT#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgicm View Post
I turn the key and never get power to the small terminal. I should say i hold the 12v tester and someone tries to start it. Nothing.

Basically only power I get is to big bolt on starter never anywhere else.

Where would fuse block get power from..? The fuse block is so high under dash very hard to even see up there...let alone where wires run. It's a stepvan not pickup.
Read my post then go look at your firewall. If it's anything like a pickup there is a block that all the wires connect to. Wiggle these wires while your headlight switch is on and see if you get the lights working. Obviously your power source from the battery to EVERYTHING else has lost its connection. It's a very simple wiring harness.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:34 PM   #9
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Check the smaller hot wire from your battery to the power terminal mounted somewhere(I don't remember on the vans) it's a "fusible link and may have burned. Sometimes it will do so inside the insulation and may not be seen.
all power comes from there to fuse box and everywhere else but the big cable on the starter.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:06 PM   #10
Mgicm

There is a hot wire from positive on battery to the ignition switch I believe... Can i test for anything at the ignition switch? I never get power to ignition switch.

Maybe i am wrong but could there be two issues here. When I turn key to start position, shouldnt i get power somewhere and shouldnt this be outside of fuse block issue. I would think since i turn key, the 12v tester should light up on the small terminal on starter or on one of the terminals on the ignition switch no? When does the small bolt on starter get power? Or it does not??

Obviously i need to get me a how to on this
Old 09-21-2015, 11:16 PM   #11
Mmorgan32

First get a wiring diagram or find one online. Figure out what all the wires are. If it's anything like my truck a lot of wires were cut that shouldn't be cut. I had my ignition wires spliced into a CD player, lighter, and random other things so the connection was loose. As for the engine I'd look at the grounds. These are 40 something year old wires
Old 09-21-2015, 11:18 PM   #12
leftybass209

Okay, as I said.... you have 1 singular wire that goes from your battery to the bulkhead. Look at this diagram.....http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3645/...c2a8064d_o.jpg

It doesn't matter that the wiring schematic is truck specific. GM didn't reinvent the harness for their van line. The exact terminal going into your firewall might be different, but there is still 1 singular wire that runs to the bulkhead, which will be in your engine compartment exactly behind your fuse panel.

Start at the bulkhead and check for 12 volts there. No volts = blown fusible link or broken wire. If you do have power, get under the dash and ensure that wire is intact, all the way to the ignition switch. No power when the ignition switch is turned on= faulty ignition.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote