The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
nicklear36

Need help with door sticking out (Pictures included)

I need some help fixing the way the doors close and are gapped on my truck (1970 C10). First off, the bottom corner sticks out too far, and the gap is pretty large. When closing the door, the door latch catches way far out, as you see pictured, and then I have to push the door in to prevent slamming it with one stroke. These problems are the exact same on both doors. I have heard that buying new latch assemblies with fix the issue when closing the doors ($47.95 on LMC). And for the gap I have no idea. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Name:  20150830_102102.jpg
Views: 4005
Size:  21.3 KB

Name:  20150830_102137.jpg
Views: 4075
Size:  21.6 KB

Name:  20150830_102151.jpg
Views: 3731
Size:  19.7 KB

Name:  20150830_102233.jpg
Views: 3679
Size:  18.9 KB

Name:  20150830_102242.jpg
Views: 3620
Size:  17.3 KB
nicklear36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:45 PM   #2
Taibo
Account Suspended

Re: Need help with door sticking out (Pictures included)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklear36 View Post
I need some help fixing the way the doors close and are gapped on my truck (1970 C10). First off, the bottom corner sticks out too far, and the gap is pretty large. When closing the door, the door latch catches way far out, as you see pictured, and then I have to push the door in to prevent slamming it with one stroke. These problems are the exact same on both doors. I have heard that buying new latch assemblies with fix the issue when closing the doors ($47.95 on LMC). And for the gap I have no idea. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
There are three things that affect the positioning of the door when closed and latch that can be adjusted. The attachment of the hinges to the door and to the truck, the positioning of the latch on the door and the positioning of the latch plate on the door B pillar.

Sometimes you will run into a door that is warped as mine were. The only way to deal with that is by bending the door and that will take two men and a boy to accomplish. Your pictures show the bottom of the door is father out than the top so start there. loosen slightly the bolts holding the bottom hinge to the door. Moving the hinge closer to the outside of the door will pull the bottom of the door closer to the shutline. Get ready to try several times to get this part right and be sure to torque the bolts before trying to close the door. When you have the same gap at top and bottom, it is time to move on to the latch. First, loosen the three screws holding the latch to the door and slide the latch toward the outside surface of the door to be sure the screws are centered in the dimples meant to hold them then tighten them back up. Next move to the adjustment of the Latch plate on the B pillar. Since yours actually catches, take a felt top marker and draw a line tight to the top of the latch plate so you will be able to see if you tilted it when you move it. It wants to stay touching this line. Acetone a great solvent for the ink in a sharpie so you won't be hurting your paint. Move the latch plate inward without tilting it a little at a time and be sure to torque the screws before test closing the door. Several tries should get you to the right place. The four photos are :
1. Bottom door hinge
2. Latch where it attaches to the door
3. Latch plate on the B pillar
4. The shut line of the bottom rear edge of the door after adjustment. Note that "on the average" the shut line on my drivers door is 'about' right but the last six inches below the moldline still stick out. The fix that requires some serious bending of that door so I let it go.
Attached Images

Last edited by Taibo; 08-30-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Taibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:51 PM   #3
mjgord51
Account Suspended

Quote:
Attachment 1441826

Attachment 1441827

Attachment 1441829

Attachment 1441830

Attachment 1441831
Might only be the door hinges (top & bottom) to cab need a re-adjustment and or look for any shims behind *hinge too cab*not hinge to door, maybe more shims on top than bottom that will push the door out from the front fender. The door hinges that mounts to the cab usually doesn't have or need any shims there but might have been in a wreak in the past and the person fixing it did what he could too make all parts come into the best looking of alignment as possible. More shims on ether "top" or bottom will kick out the top or bottom of door like the top of door fitting good & bottom sticking out a little bit like (\) (pass side look) if you can picture it in your mind this way.

Also as for doors not closing at door latch & door latch striker plates area might also need a little adjusting, one might be out of adjustment from the other one. You'll just need to play with the adjustments a little. Think of what its doing and look at the which one is in need of changing its position.

But all in all parts do fail and sometimes they need a new band-aid from time to time that's for sure. Mine is a 68 @ 47 yrs old it is in need of a few band-aids or two LOL

YOU CAN DO IT ! ! !

PS Taibo's explanation is better detailed than mine but both are right in you need to first try to adjust things before going out and getting New parts for a fix. Taibo you beat me to this, I was typing mine up & you slipped by me, LOL

Last edited by mjgord51; 08-30-2015 at 04:10 PM.
mjgord51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #4
mjgord51
Account Suspended

Quote:
Attachment 1441826

Attachment 1441827

Attachment 1441829

Attachment 1441830

Attachment 1441831
Might only be the door hinges (top & bottom) to cab need a re-adjustment and or look for any shims behind *hinge too cab*not hinge to door, maybe more shims on top than bottom that will push the door out from the front fender. The door hinges that mounts to the cab usually doesn't have or need any shims there but might have been in a wreak in the past and the person fixing it did what he could too make all parts come into the best looking of alignment as possible. More shims on ether "top" or bottom will kick out the top or bottom of door like the top of door fitting good & bottom sticking out a little bit like (\) (pass side look) if you can picture it in your mind this way.

Also as for doors not closing at door latch & door latch striker plates area might also need a little adjusting, one might be out of adjustment from the other one. You'll just need to play with the adjustments a little. Think of what its doing and look at the which one is in need of changing its position.

But all in all parts do fail and sometimes they need a new band-aid from time to time that's for sure. Mine is a 68 @ 47 yrs old it is in need of a few band-aids or two LOL

YOU CAN DO IT ! ! !
mjgord51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:01 PM   #5
hugger6933

The door side bolts on the hinge control the in and out of the door. The body side hinge bolts control the forward and back of the door Shims under the hinge plate can also be very helpful in cheating that a little bit and just think how much a 1/16 shim can have an effect out at the end of the door that is what 36 inches or so? The use of shims can also tilt the door in the pocket and help uneven gap. Make sure that the hinges are in good shape first so you don't chase your tail. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:14 PM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Is this a new issue that you just noticed? Did you just replace the door gaskets? This isn't something I expect to see on an old truck, and in fact, my '70 C20 with 200,000 plus miles does not have this issue.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:12 PM   #7
nicklear36

I think the issue came from when the previous owner dismantled all the panels to paint them. I will work on it with my dad soon! Thanks for the replies everyone
Old 12-27-2016, 08:19 PM   #8
nicklear36

I know it's been awhile, but revisiting this thread. I think I have determined that the door is binding on the hinges when trying to close it. Almost as if the door is too short.

Do the door to cab hinges slide back? As you can also see, there are a ridiculous amount of shims on the latch plate that were probably put in place because of this. I know the hinge the door controls the in and out of the door, which I will fix. Any insight will be greatly appreciated, as you can see the fenders are off and I'm ready to roll.
Attached Images