The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #1
GMCSTEPS

Transmission/Tv troubles

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and the world of these amazing trucks altogether. I recently acquired a 65 step side gmc with a later model 305 and a 700r4 auto tranny and so far I have been going through and cleaning up quite a few of the POs mess.

When I originally test drive the truck it was revving to what I thought at the time was excessive rpm before shifting to 2nd, but the guy assures me that since it is a 3 speed that level of rpm is normal, and not knowing any better I believed him. Now that it's back at my house I discover that it is in fact a 4 speed and rpm range close to 4500/5000 is absolutely not normal to shift gears. I never got it to shift into 3rd during the test drive bc we were just in a neighborhood, but now I've taken it out and tried to push it into third and have just gotten higher rpm but no shift from 2nd to 3rd.
I messed with the tv cable a bit and now all I have is 1st and reverse. It has a factory style tv cable with the "d" shaped button for adjustment but when pressed and moving the throttle there is no clicking into place like the guidelines say it is supposed to. Ive checked the governor gear and it looks brand new and the tv is connected to the cable at the transmission. So bottom line is, does it sound like it could be something out of adjustment that I can tweak and if so what, or is the tranny fried and I am in for a new one. Sorry for the long post but I know you guys can help, thanks in advance
GMCSTEPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:22 AM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Transmission/Tv troubles

A 700 will fry pretty quickly.I have done it when a tv cable broke. If you post this in the engine and drive train section you will get more help quicker. First thing to do is get a picture of the brackets and tv cable where it hooks tot he car so we can see if it has the correct parts. A miss match will cause problems. Also do a search on 700r4 in the engine section and there is a ton of threads on checking and setting the tv cables.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
The Rocknrod

Re: Transmission/Tv troubles

I found a PDF file that explains how to set up the Carb TV linkage if you want:
https://app.box.com/s/5kr0yd6la59jzac608fqreyat6kfyihm