The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2014, 02:52 PM   #26
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Re: '67 Patina Monster in Denton (not mine)

You can also get a title for the vin plate that's on the truck many different perfectly legal ways to get atitle I would not worry 2 seconds about a title ,, many vin plates get switched on these trucks all the time it is just part of having something that's near 50 years old you have a truck you have hadc for years with a rusted cab ? So you found a rust free cab to put on it ? Then what do you do ? Junk it ? No you put your vin plate on it and drive on ! Would I swap a vin plate on a 2010 vehicle ? HECK NO I WOULD NOT ! THIS IS A HOBBY THESE TRUCKS ARE OLD STUFF HAPPENS ! This debate went round and round on the camaro page because on 69 camaros the vin plate is riveted to the metal dash top under the windshield which commonly rusts and has to be replaced ? You have to drill out thhe rivets and rerivet the vinplate to the new part ? You just broke federal law ? Or did you ?
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #27
Fatherof3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19673ontree View Post
You can also get a title for the vin plate that's on the truck many different perfectly legal ways to get atitle I would not worry 2 seconds about a title ,, many vin plates get switched on these trucks all the time it is just part of having something that's near 50 years old you have a truck you have hadc for years with a rusted cab ? So you found a rust free cab to put on it ? Then what do you do ? Junk it ? No you put your vin plate on it and drive on ! Would I swap a vin plate on a 2010 vehicle ? HECK NO I WOULD NOT ! THIS IS A HOBBY THESE TRUCKS ARE OLD STUFF HAPPENS ! This debate went round and round on the camaro page because on 69 camaros the vin plate is riveted to the metal dash top under the windshield which commonly rusts and has to be replaced ? You have to drill out thhe rivets and rerivet the vinplate to the new part ? You just broke federal law ? Or did you ?
I call those "Victimless Crimes" where no one was wronged.
1. Don't wrong others
2. Stay out of trouble
3. Sleep good at night
If it meets those I don't worry about it.
65 C20 292 4spd 4:56 Eaton HO52
Fatherof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:42 PM   #28
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Well said !
Old 03-25-2014, 11:56 PM   #29
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherof3 View Post
Is that price awfully high or have I been living under a rock? I see a GMC long bed without a title that needs a lot just to be a legal driver. I'm thinking $400-800.
You're spot on. Short bed or long bed... that hulk is worth no more than $500 bucks.

But... that's me...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:21 AM   #30
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
You're spot on. Short bed or long bed... that hulk is worth no more than $500 bucks.

But... that's me...

Gary
You cant buy a shortbed thats fairly solid for $500 anymore , I wish you could ,
Old 03-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #31
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19673ontree View Post
anyway you look at it, it does not change the fact that it is illegal to alter a vin tag period.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #32
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Am I the first one to notice the 67 only gmc (whatever they called the cst) horn button...
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:55 AM   #33
Fatherof3

"anyway you look at it, it does not change the fact that it is illegal to alter a vin tag period"

You are correct. For me some times I'm willing to technically be out side of the law when I know I'm not breaking the intent of the law. Here we are not trying hide the true identity of a vehicle that was stolen, totaled, common being represented as rare etc. It's a personal decision and I certainly respect anyone who does their best to stay with in the laws.
65 C20 292 4spd 4:56 Eaton HO52
Fatherof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:07 PM   #34
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Yes I agree Liz nobody should even try to change a vin or alter it to hide a stolen vehicle or something but it is a fact in this hobby of vehicles that are nearly 50 years old stuff happens , in the topic of the particular truck in this post you could buy it then go to your local sherrifs office have them check the vin to see if it was ever reported stolen if its not and you bought it perfectly legal then its yours , then if you buy a parts truck with a title its your too , I know I know but we all know it happens everyday .
Old 03-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #35
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

A lot of states have different laws now regarding classic vehicles with the way they are tagged and so on they need a modified law concerning titles and stuff on older vehicles , on the camaro page one time a guy sold a 1969 camaro because it needed the dash top replaced and he would have to drill the rivets out of the vin plate ,