The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2002, 01:15 AM   #1
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

compressor clutch or whole compressor?

i finaly had 10 mins (litteraly) to take a fast look at my trucks a/c. now im not so sure the whole compressor is bad. im thinking its just the clutch, how do i tell?

i have turend the out side part (the end of the clutch) and it spins fine. i assume this is turning the compressor. now the part that the belt goes to turns rough, catches, like the ball barrings are toast.

bad clutch?> or whole thing??

what is invalved with just chaning the clutch? im faced with a 700 bill if its the whole compressor, so i wont mind if i have to buy a 100 tool!
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 02:39 AM   #2
oldyeller
Captain CAAAVVVMMMAAANNN!

sounds like its the clutch pulley bearing, it is possible to get just the bearing, but its up to you to do that or get the whole clutch. You will need a puller, probably get one at a good parts store, and you will have to set the clutch back to the proper spacing after the breakdown so when you kick the ac in it will turn the pump, it can be a little tricky sometimes.

Did you have to take the belt off when the ac died??? If you can turn the end of the clutch freely, no serious binding, and the pulley part is rough or frose I would bet your pump is ok, and just needs a new bearing in the end... good luck..
check out the project old yeller
oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 09:03 AM   #3
Mike C

Dave, I put a new compressor on my Jimmy way back, when the compresssor lclutch failed (smoked like crazy and stunk like he!!) It cost like $72 for a new clutch while a rebuilt compressor was only $75. Seemed like a no-brainer. These were Western Auto prices and as you know, they are defunct now.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 10:08 AM   #4
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

well, the main differance is, if i replace the compressor, it has to be recharged, other parts changed and cost 700 bucks for the a/c shop to do..

a clutch i can do.

the belt squeeled like a pig and broke, a new belt btw. maybe i over tigtend it
Old 08-23-2002, 10:42 AM   #5
ebfabman

Sounds like the hub bearing. You should be able to change it your self but as stated it can be alittle tricky.

In another tread about the high price of A/C work I'll explain what I know auto air aconditioning and why it cost so much.
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 10:44 AM   #6
Woody

mtdave,

Several years ago I did the Clutch only repair. Part houses wanted more for the clutch asm than they wanted for the whole compressor. What's wrong with that picture???

Any way, I got an old compressor from the wrecking yard yunk van (old chevy van full of old bad compressors and various other stuff) and soon found that you need special tools to hold the clutch and pull it off of the compressor. I found a guy (brother's Father-in-law= old chevy guy) who had the tools and let me use them. It worked great for another year or so, then the clutch went again. I think it got too hot from running the a/c for a long time (such as on a trip for a couple hours) and/or the compressor was getting hard to turn. This caused the clutch to slip and generate too much heat, then failure. So another clutch may only last a short time if you have other problems.

It was however a fairly simple change. Had to remove the belt and the fan shroud was in the way of the tools so it had to be moved by removing the bolts and turning it. It would have went smoother if the shrud was off the truck. But I did not have to depressurize the system (BIG BONUS!) so it worth the trouble.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 11:04 AM   #7
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

ebfabman please do, im pissing off a/c guys on a differant board. i would like to know why. thanks

i will find out how much the shops charge to do this job, that way they can check the rest of the system ect. that is, unless they want 300+ to do that lol