The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #1
Dleslie212

Help choosing rear end parts

Good morning everyone. I took apart my rear end conpletely yesterday except for the pinion. I want to go ahead and rebuild the entire thing, but I’ve never done this before and was hoping for a bit of feedback. Here’s what I have

77 K10
12 bolt
30 spline axles
11 pinion teeth, 41 ring gear teeth (3.73 ratio, correct?)

It currently has the G80 locker, but I’d like to install an actual locker on it. The ring gear has a few small chips on the ends of of a few teeth, but nothing major. I don’t mind replacing the ring and pinion, but I’m pretty intimidated by that. At the same time, I’d love to be able to say that everything in the rear has been replaced. What does everyone here think about installing a new carrier, but keeping the old ring and pinion? Should I be pretty safe reusing the old axle shafts instead of getting replacements?

Also, what kind of locker should I go for? I do a bit of off roading, but never anything hardcore. Most light or medium stuff, and lots of sand. I’d say 75 percent of my driving would be on the road, mostly just picking up the kid from school, or cruising around
Dleslie212 is offline   Reply With Quote