The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #76
87GMCChris

Re: Hidden Hitch for 73-87's?

Subcribed... as i will be atemting it soon. Although i hate to cut i brand new hitch at $209. :S

I only drive truck 6 months a year... Dam Canadian winters.
87GMCChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #77
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87GMCChris View Post
Subcribed... as i will be atemting it soon. Although i hate to cut i brand new hitch at $209. :S
I directed them to this thread after I installed the hitch (I inquired prior to purchase). Not much to the install that risks ruining the hitch.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:37 PM   #78
joe231

Hey SCOTI,
I know it's been awhile, and Jon has this truck now, but....
Do you think this would work with a burb tank?
Or should I contact Jon for some measurements?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #79
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
Hey SCOTI,
I know it's been awhile, and Jon has this truck now, but....
Do you think this would work with a burb tank?
Or should I contact Jon for some measurements?
Posted via Mobile Device
Not sure how much space the burb tank occupies vs. an older 67-72 blazer tank but that would be the key piece of info. The ECE hitch works w/a blazer tank (I had them both on my 68).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 01-29-2011, 11:17 PM   #80
joe231

Gottcha, Guess I'll have to measure how much front to back room I have from the tank to the license plate bracket.
Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #81
bigblock73
yeller

Scoti, I am going to do this md to my '75, but according to ECE's site, this appears to be a class III, not IV...based on the trailer weight. Any feedback on this? Here is a C&P from their site, the pic they show is the same you posted back on page 1

Want to tow with your Classic without that ugly hitch hanging below your bumper? Our new Hidden Receiver Hitch is just the answer. Designed for use with the stock '67-’72 factory rear bumper, simply flip up the rear license plate and insert the coupler. It’s that easy. Hitch is rated for up to 500lbs tongue weight and 5000lbs total trailer weight.

We now offer the hitch components in a package deal: Hidden Receiver Hitch, Extended Ball Mount, License Plate Flip Frame and Flat Four Trailer Wiring.

Our new Blazer and Suburban hitches are also finished and in stock, and feature the same quality design and powder-coated finish as our Pickup version. Drilling is required for installation, and every hitch comes with all needed hardware.

Last edited by bigblock73; 05-11-2011 at 12:41 AM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:25 AM   #82
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
Scoti, I am going to do this md to my '75, but according to ECE's site, this appears to be a class III, nit IV...based on the trailer weight. Any feedback on this? Here is a C&P from their site, the pic they show is the same you posted back on page 1

Want to tow with your Classic without that ugly hitch hanging below your bumper? Our new Hidden Receiver Hitch is just the answer. Designed for use with the stock '67-’72 factory rear bumper, simply flip up the rear license plate and insert the coupler. It’s that easy. Hitch is rated for up to 500lbs tongue weight and 5000lbs total trailer weight.

We now offer the hitch components in a package deal: Hidden Receiver Hitch, Extended Ball Mount, License Plate Flip Frame and Flat Four Trailer Wiring.

Our new Blazer and Suburban hitches are also finished and in stock, and feature the same quality design and powder-coated finish as our Pickup version. Drilling is required for installation, and every hitch comes with all needed hardware.
That's weird. I just 'borrowed' their kit pic to show what came w/the kit when I got the set-up for the 74. I know when I bought my 1st HH set-up back in 2000, I was told it was a Class IV. I just went back & looked on their site & only saw the 500lb/5000lb ratings.

I didn't exceed those ratings, but will now keep this in mind.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 05-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #83
dreverlast

edited by staff

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.
dreverlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #84
78maliburat

i TOOK A RECEIVER HITCH OFF MY SONS 95 TRUCK UNBOLTED THE SIDES AND SLIDE IT BETWEEN THE FRAME RAILS ON MY 78 DRILLED 3 HOLES PERSIDE AND WELDED SUPPORTS ON THE REAR VERY SIMPLE AND YOU CAN GO TO THE WRECKING YARD AND GET A FLIP DOWN LIC BRACKET OF A CUTLASS,MALIBU AND MOUNT TO YOURE BUMPER AND ROLL PAN FOR ABOUT 10 BUCKS WOW VERY SIMPLE
78maliburat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:16 PM   #85
Ford Assassin

9 year bump....

Need a hitch that will sit completely behind my stock rear bumper on my crew cab dually. ECE has closed their doors. Summit has discontinued their house brand hitches.

These guys sell one, but says it will only work with a roll pan.....not a stock bumper.

https://www.airbagit.com/Hidden-Trai...a.htm?CartID=1

So.....ideas? Thanks!!

-K5 Blazer 2wd: 6.0 LQ4, 7875 Turbo, Tick Stage II Turbo Cam, Built 4L80e, RevMax Billet 3600, 9.5" 14 Bolt
-Chevy 3+3 Crew Cab Dually: Cummins 12v P-Pump Swap, Compound Turbos, A2W Intercooler, NV4500HD, 4wd conversion, Radius Arms, Coilovers, Crossover Steering, etc
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=803608
Ford Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:45 PM   #86
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Assassin View Post
9 year bump....

Need a hitch that will sit completely behind my stock rear bumper on my crew cab dually. ECE has closed their doors. Summit has discontinued their house brand hitches.

These guys sell one, but says it will only work with a roll pan.....not a stock bumper.

https://www.airbagit.com/Hidden-Trai...a.htm?CartID=1

So.....ideas? Thanks!!
Well, it is AirbagIt.com so you can't expect too much. It won't work w/a stock bumper because you would need to modify the license plate box & how the LP attaches.

If the hitch works for a roll pan application, it should work behind a bumper on a Square. A roll pan fits between the lower edges of the bedsides & under the gate. A bumper occupies the same area when installed. The difference might be where the bolt holes go within the frame so that the hitch is located within .5 - .750" behind whatever vertical surface is in front of it.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-06-2021, 10:44 PM   #87
Ford Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Well, it is AirbagIt.com so you can't expect too much. It won't work w/a stock bumper because you would need to modify the license plate box & how the LP attaches.

If the hitch works for a roll pan application, it should work behind a bumper on a Square. A roll pan fits between the lower edges of the bedsides & under the gate. A bumper occupies the same area when installed. The difference might be where the bolt holes go within the frame so that the hitch is located within .5 - .750" behind whatever vertical surface is in front of it.
The other issue is they don't list a class for the rating.

I would need something strong enough to handle my 30' travel trailer that weighs close to 9k loaded (7k dry according to the specs).

-K5 Blazer 2wd: 6.0 LQ4, 7875 Turbo, Tick Stage II Turbo Cam, Built 4L80e, RevMax Billet 3600, 9.5" 14 Bolt
-Chevy 3+3 Crew Cab Dually: Cummins 12v P-Pump Swap, Compound Turbos, A2W Intercooler, NV4500HD, 4wd conversion, Radius Arms, Coilovers, Crossover Steering, etc
Old 04-06-2021, 11:33 PM   #88
SCOTI

Quote:
The other issue is they don't list a class for the rating.

I would need something strong enough to handle my 30' travel trailer that weighs close to 9k loaded (7k dry according to the specs).
In that case, I would search CURT hitches. Their CLASSV hitches come in different configurations. One such configuration that I know of is a modular set-up where the center portion of the hitch where the receiver is bolts to the frame flanges. This would allow you to make your own frame pieces to position the center portion/receiver where you want/need it.

Not easy but do-able. This is the approach I'm going to try when building the hidden hitch for my 99. For now its just bolted in as CURT intended so I can use it. When the opportunity comes, I'll fab my own frame brackets.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-07-2021, 12:12 AM   #89
Ford Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
In that case, I would search CURT hitches. Their CLASSV hitches come in different configurations. One such configuration that I know of is a modular set-up where the center portion of the hitch where the receiver is bolts to the frame flanges. This would allow you to make your own frame pieces to position the center portion/receiver where you want/need it.

Not easy but do-able. This is the approach I'm going to try when building the hidden hitch for my 99. For now its just bolted in as CURT intended so I can use it. When the opportunity comes, I'll fab my own frame brackets.
Got a link or part number? I searched, no luck.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:53 AM   #90
SCOTI

Quote:
Got a link or part number? I searched, no luck.
https://www.curtmfg.com/part/15325

This is what I'm using for my '99. The center portion bolts to the frame mounts which are 3/8" thick material. My plan is to make my own frame mounts that will position the center where I want it. I'll use 1/4" steel plate & double it up if I cant utilize the re-worked frame mounts it came with.

It's not for the 73-87 body style but sometimes you 'gotta think outside of the box.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 04-07-2021 at 10:00 AM.