The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2021, 04:16 PM   #1126
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

So.

Road trip.

What did we fetch.

[
Yup.....

I can say that I struggled to get out the truck after 30 miles to pay the seller.

Her husband and his mate had been forewarned that I wanted it, but could honestly not even lift it into the truck bed.

She had measured it for me. 1550mm x 1280mm

So they loaded the truck for me after we had opened the tonneau cover.

No motor and bits n pieces.

Ideas??

Well, I cannot currently even tie my shoe laces, honestly.

So why not sit upright, my butt would not fit in the sear for sure.

Remember this?

More ideas.

I do have a mobility scooter chassis stashed away.

Something I recently saw on FB.

Could one create this on a mobility scooter?

This morning I went to see what I had bought.

Happy.

When loading the gokart chassis yesterday, Andy, the seller said to me “what caliber were you shot with? And it took a few moments to realise what he meant, the holes where the Fleetside badge had need fitted through.

So this morning I also decided to refit the badges till mate Andy in Oklahoma gets around to casting the alumninium pieces for the truck.

Mate Gary in Florida kniws I love a battle weary flag.

He texted today that he has two for my garage and carport.

And in other news, Dennis in St Louis continues to add parts to his NASCAR truck.

I am so loving the whole stance.

We know it goes now.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:58 PM   #1127
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

Osteopath beat me up really well today with her gentle touch.

Took me 4 hrs + to recover from the pain and walk upright again.

Crazy.

But the good news is that the sunset was lovely.

Currently truck just needs to wait.

Old 04-13-2021, 01:57 PM   #1128
Grizz1963

Always something.

Noticed at the weekend that the tailgate retaining cables were not quite as they should be.

The drivers side was held captive by a Nyloc nut, and the passenger side had its original equipment fitted, so could release the slotted cable end.

As fitted.

Whats missing.

Conversely, the drivers side unit had been replaced by this part.

Not ideal.

So with zero chance of finding one here in the UK, I decided that slightly rounding off the corners of the bodged nut would be as good as it gets for now.

Bench grinder to the rescue.

Back on the truck.

Do e.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:11 PM   #1129
LT7A

Cool wear and tear on the flown flags. Interesting that he would lay them out on the floor though. Our flag is not to touch the ground and it is to be burned if it does.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:27 PM   #1130
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Cool wear and tear on the flown flags. Interesting that he would lay them out on the floor though. Our flag is not to touch the ground and it is to be burned if it does.
I did not want to say too much about that.

Gary is ex military himself, same as me, and we always raised and lowered a flag over our shoulders.

I suspect that in the regular run of events, those flags would be replaced by new and who knows, what would normally happen to old ones.

I really love battle weary flags, or those that looks that way.

I think for him it was about laying them out in order to photograph them.

Not sure he would ever intentionally raise any form of disrespect to the Stars and Stripes.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:29 PM   #1131
Grizz1963

Quote:
PS. You just did trigger an interesting question and potential dilemma though.

What would be the correct or usual way to dispose of, these flags, lets say, if they had been hung out by a business.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:29 PM   #1132
Grizz1963

For me, right now, even driving 14 miles to town and back ends up in some serious pain.

Mate Kevin drove over to see me today from Maidstone and picked up some anthracite paint at Halfords.

I had decided after painting the centre caps silver, that it was not the right colour and needed changing, regardless of outcome.

So a reasonable match it seemed.

First of two coats.

Difference apparent

First coat on.

Second to follow.

Then Sally popped in, on her way home and I managed to seduce her.......

Withone of these, before she headed off to do a load of chores

Bacon (loads of it) and egg toasty sandwich.

Then she went off and I added coat one of clear to the anthracite, which perfectly made it a touch darker.

And much later, a second coat of clear

Have to say, I am really pleased with the outcome.

Fitting when I get a chance.

Old 04-14-2021, 04:11 AM   #1133
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz1963 View Post
I did not want to say too much about that.

Gary is ex military himself, same as me, and we always raised and lowered a flag over our shoulders.

I suspect that in the regular run of events, those flags would be replaced by new and who knows, what would normally happen to old ones.

I really love battle weary flags, or those that looks that way.

I think for him it was about laying them out in order to photograph them.

Not sure he would ever intentionally raise any form of disrespect to the Stars and Stripes.
Interesting since as you said, he is former military. I didn't assume any disrespect, figured that he was either unaware, or it just didn't occur to him. I love my country but I am not super intense about these types of things. I don't even know when or where I learned it, but it is firmly embedded. I went to the Rose Bowl several years ago when my University team was playing. You are startlingly familiar with things in the US, but just in case, this is American football and pits two teams against each other who are at the top of their particular geographical region. The opposing team had a giant American flag for use during their part of the halftime display. It was large enough to cover a significant portion of the field when all spread out and held by the drill members. Before they used it in their display though, they staged it along the edge of the field...on the ground. And after having deposited it in such a fashion, some of them proceeded to kick it where it had spread out a little bit, in order to bunch it up and get it out of the way. Like I said, I am not Mr. extra-double protocol guy, but I found that disturbing. On the ground? No. Kicking it? Oh no.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:23 AM   #1134
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz1963 View Post
PS. You just did trigger an interesting question and potential dilemma though.

What would be the correct or usual way to dispose of, these flags, lets say, if they had been hung out by a business.
That's a good question. I like your idea of displaying them. They certainly do have a lot of character. At first I was thinking one could just fold them up and toss them out. Don't think one would need to keep them around. But probably, proper disposal is by privately burning them so that they would not be seen in the trash or be pulled out and defaced in some way. Funny, I'm not super concerned about people who want to burn the flag publicly. In a way, they're giving it more gravity by making a spectacle out of it. I just hope they support our economy by buying one made in the US. If it wasn't made in the US, is their statement really valid anyway? Ha! And as soon as they've safely put the fire out I would encourage them to move somewhere they think is so much better.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:29 AM   #1135
LT7A

You got me curious:

The U.S. Flag Code says, “The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.” When an American flag is worn beyond repair, it should be retired in a respectful manner.

And even more interesting, and from a reputable source:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1618388883972
Old 04-15-2021, 07:05 AM   #1136
Grizz1963

Quote:
Interesting since as you said, he is former military. I didn't assume any disrespect, figured that he was either unaware, or it just didn't occur to him. I love my country but I am not super intense about these types of things. I don't even know when or where I learned it, but it is firmly embedded. I went to the Rose Bowl several years ago when my University team was playing. You are startlingly familiar with things in the US, but just in case, this is American football and pits two teams against each other who are at the top of their particular geographical region. The opposing team had a giant American flag for use during their part of the halftime display. It was large enough to cover a significant portion of the field when all spread out and held by the drill members. Before they used it in their display though, they staged it along the edge of the field...on the ground. And after having deposited it in such a fashion, some of them proceeded to kick it where it had spread out a little bit, in order to bunch it up and get it out of the way. Like I said, I am not Mr. extra-double protocol guy, but I found that disturbing. On the ground? No. Kicking it? Oh no.
Quote:
That's a good question. I like your idea of displaying them. They certainly do have a lot of character. At first I was thinking one could just fold them up and toss them out. Don't think one would need to keep them around. But probably, proper disposal is by privately burning them so that they would not be seen in the trash or be pulled out and defaced in some way. Funny, I'm not super concerned about people who want to burn the flag publicly. In a way, they're giving it more gravity by making a spectacle out of it. I just hope they support our economy by buying one made in the US. If it wasn't made in the US, is their statement really valid anyway? Ha! And as soon as they've safely put the fire out I would encourage them to move somewhere they think is so much better.
Quote:
You got me curious:

The U.S. Flag Code says, “The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.” When an American flag is worn beyond repair, it should be retired in a respectful manner.

And even more interesting, and from a reputable source:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1618388883972

Thank you for the replies.

Really well thought through, and I am certainly 100% with you on not being an Extra-Double Protocol type, but do prefer things to just be right.

Your third entry really makes it clear and I would reference it in future in fact.

Thanks for posting the link too.

I may not be an American, but I do subscribe to so many of your values, many which have been lost over time.

And the flags on display make me feel a bit more at home here in England. Reminding me of my love for many things, American.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:06 AM   #1137
Grizz1963

Remember this little guy?

Seemed highly unlikely that I would find one randomly, but then randomness is often what drives the fun factor in our hobby.

Just think of the set of ZQ8 wheels that landed in my lap, sold to me by a guy who had no need for them, and did not realise how desperate I was to find a set to put the truck back to standard.

Crazy stuff I know.

It happens.

Yesterday morning when I woke, a Messenger message from a good friend, Ric, in Chandler, Arizona.

Asking whether I had found the rear tailgate pin yet to replace the stud and Nyloc nut currently fitted.

Of course I had not.......

So he offered to post one out to me, taken from his previous race truck, he is a keen Auto Cross driver and has a few other interesting cars stashed away, awaiting his attention.

As he says, at his age, this is an affordable, reasonably safe, and skill improving sport to participate in.

He does compete against all sorts of really powerful and capable kit, being that his truck is s along wheelbase, slow, slightly modified vehicle and his daily. He still works as an auto mechanic.

So the previous truck had two non fault accidents, the second one being part of a 34 car pile up where he was car no 7 in the action.

Leaving Truck No 1 looking sorry for itself.

In the pile up the rear end got bent too, so he bought an identical truck to build the race parts over onto.

So my day yesterday, other than my niggly back, actually ended really well, and another nice sunset.

So much to be said for living rurally.

Centre caps to finally be fitted later today, once they have been in the sun to harden the many coats of clear I added.

Looking forward to this.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:09 PM   #1138
LT7A

Good point on values. Keeping up my values is a central part of how I'm put together. It seems that values in general are eroding to become something that is situational, conditional - at one's discretion - or worse... convenience. At which point, they become nothing more than weak guidelines, if that. Life is so much better with a well developed value system. Makes it easier to navigate what would otherwise be sticky situations, even though it is uncomfortable, one usually knows what the right thing is to do. That's kind of where the flag perspective comes in for me. I feel sorry for someone who doesn't love and respect their country, but I consider it their loss and don't get too worked up about it. But there are some baseline indicators of respect, and one of those is handling our national symbol with some degree of care. As previously noted, I don't assume your buddy intended any disrespect, but it definitely caught my eye.

Good work on getting your tailgate latch and spindle/lug/ whatever the right word is. It is funny how a simple little part can be so much fun to find and install.

Also, sorry to hear about your back. Sounds awful. Mine is not 100%, and causes me trouble on occasion, but your current situation sounds like it could take the starch out of a guy. And you are accustomed to working on things all of the time. Get the rest you need man, and I have found that core strengthening and overall fitness is something that helps me greatly. FWIW, YMMV.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:00 PM   #1139
Grizz1963

Quote:
Good point on values. Keeping up my values is a central part of how I'm put together. It seems that values in general are eroding to become something that is situational, conditional - at one's discretion - or worse... convenience. At which point, they become nothing more than weak guidelines, if that. Life is so much better with a well developed value system. Makes it easier to navigate what would otherwise be sticky situations, even though it is uncomfortable, one usually knows what the right thing is to do. That's kind of where the flag perspective comes in for me. I feel sorry for someone who doesn't love and respect their country, but I consider it their loss and don't get too worked up about it. But there are some baseline indicators of respect, and one of those is handling our national symbol with some degree of care. As previously noted, I don't assume your buddy intended any disrespect, but it definitely caught my eye.

Good work on getting your tailgate latch and spindle/lug/ whatever the right word is. It is funny how a simple little part can be so much fun to find and install.

Also, sorry to hear about your back. Sounds awful. Mine is not 100%, and causes me trouble on occasion, but your current situation sounds like it could take the starch out of a guy. And you are accustomed to working on things all of the time. Get the rest you need man, and I have found that core strengthening and overall fitness is something that helps me greatly. FWIW, YMMV.
My values got me where I am.

Simple.

Getting lucky is cool, and to be honest, I am a fan of paying it forward, so this was a really nice little win.

Back is in a bad way, and I do hope I can get it sorted sooner than later.

You are right on fitness and core strength.

Carrying on.

Three coats of clear.

Colour really is alive in this choice of Anthracite.

Tried the wheel nut covers.

And amazing how different it looks indoors, on a white dogs duvet cover.

On my way back from the osteopath I did a 200 meter detour to check up onthese trees.

Back to getting home, I needed to keep. Moving in order not to seize up.

What better way, than to fit these long overdue and now correctly painted centre caps.

I was walking around the truck after fitting them..... swearing, just repeatedly saying “Dang.... this looks good, this is so right”

And a side shot.

To say I am cuffed is an understatement.

I am so chuffed.

It was the right choice to go with the new wheels.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:38 AM   #1140
Grizz1963

I am still not tired of this truck.

Yesterday I used it to go to the Osteopath.

Before entering, a slightly faked smile, knowing I have walked out there like a cripple every time before.

She really does not hurt you while working on your spine, but man..... afterwards, even getting off her table is a slow, painful,process.

Afterwards yesterday I went to a favourite place to get a few pics on the new wheels and caps.

How many times can I say that I am so chuffed with how these ended up.

Old 04-18-2021, 02:20 PM   #1141
Grizz1963

A great weekend in Kent.

Sally wanted to get some plants in.

My back continues to say NO.

So she did it all.

I paid.

Strong woman.

Also on the agenda was the go kart that Sally and Mickey unloaded after telling me off and telling me to step back.

Rear wheels and axle are rusted solid, so I called on my last can of bootfair bargain Duck oil, to hopefully penetrate sufficiently.

Offset seating to accommodate the side mounted motor on these.

Two Nylocs, finger tightened held theone side crash protector.

3 minutes to remove.

Thats better.

Sally worked in the garden, I cooked a nice Beef Bhuna curry, now the house smells of air freshener, after having doors and windows open.

A great weekend over all too soon.
Old 04-24-2021, 02:38 AM   #1142
Grizz1963

A small, vital to me parcel landed yesterday.

Thanks Ric, and seeing a rust free, like new.... 20 year old tailgate cable stay is quite refreshing.

Thanks again for the parts for my truck.

Old 04-24-2021, 12:12 PM   #1143
Grizz1963

So.

If we go for a set of pressed steel American style plates

What plate surrounds?

One in front, one in the rear.

Or this.

Old 04-25-2021, 02:53 PM   #1144
Grizz1963

At long last, I pulled the trigger.

Bought a dateless, personal plate for the S10 today.

Disclaimer: This is England, not America or Africa and other places where you could get a much much better, more personal plate.

As has become a way of life for me with the weirdish cars and trucks I buy, nothing is easy.

After spending an extended period getting p1$$€@ around and off by AI , I managed to get transferred to a real,human, and then it came out that the V750 paper document should arrive in 2 weeks, at which point I can then go online and do an online transfer of number onto the truck.

Next step will be getting a pair of CHEAP yellow and white motorbike sized plates at 300mm x 150mm witha single line number.

Old 04-26-2021, 02:16 PM   #1145
Grizz1963

Somewhere

A random gathering.

Started with a text.

Finally, back home.......

Filled the truck to the neck.

A nice 3 hrs out.

First time in 13 months or more.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:35 AM   #1146
Grizz1963

Who does not like free cash?

Free money all around, if you look.

Sometimes it is not convenient and in the wrong place.

But..... when your neighbour 5 houses down, starts to tear down a whole ground floor extension, in order to get a double storey up, there there is bound to be some collateral damage, and collateral FREE CASH

With the pile growing, while he burns a load of the timber every evening.

So of course, I needed to go have a word, and ask his permission to scavenge some of the timber.

With Sally having a rare day off work, getting her to help, and my back feeling a bit better, I was carrying literally one beam at a time back home.

Back home, Sally actually pulled up a chair and watched me remove nails and screws from the timber, using only remote or “long leverage” in order to not strain the recovery of my back. To be honest, being that I had been virtually painfree for almost a week, I was noit going to mess that up.

So everything was done cautiously, not my usual way tbh.

Examples of the wood being discarded..... 100x100 mm posts, all getting cutt up and burned in the drum of doom.

And then a pile of clean, ready to use wood.

I also used a few lengths to lay out and show Sally where I wanted the driveway concrete strips to be moved to, straightening the drive to a more useful lay.

Hosepipe shows planned curve of new concrete.

Though I may just opt for much straighter lines to make it a lot easier to cast and also for reversing down.

I am thinking of removing the bitsa slab down the bottom and casting it is one.

As a reward, I cooked a meaty dinner, and the steak turned out to be sublime.

We shared one steak, as there were sausages on the menu too.

On Sunday night the Fire of doom was at work again, so I walked home with one 2x4 strip, around 4 meters long, not a nail or screw in it.

Did we mention FREE CASH ?

And yes, it is getting used for a specific project.
Old 04-30-2021, 12:15 PM   #1147
Grizz1963

Went to the hospital for an appointment with Mr Pillai, spinal surgeon.

Waited an hour.

Great consultant, sensible, logical, supportive.

Showed me the MRI from September last year..... I just smiled, my back is pretty knackered.

He agreed, however, after a thorough history and examination, he said that it seems that the year at home, gaining about 8kg and not being very active, had resulted in a bunch of stuff happening, and also degenerating, plus a random inflammatory response leading to the acute episode.

So he was able to offer surgery - 30% chance of not working, even making it worse, steroid injections - limited effect and not all gain the same benefit, or as we agreed, a conservative approach, which would include further osteopathy, exercise (gentle) and actively looking at weight loss to reduce strain on all related parts.

I can say that right now, I am 100 times better than three four weeks ago when I was really struggling, but at the same time, with the mechanical side of this as a permanent failure, the rest needs to be addressed with caution.

The consultant also said he would give me a 6 month “Get back in for free” ticket, so if things went bad or got worse in the next 6 months, I could contact his secretary and be pushed straight back into the front of the line.

So yesterday I did a small job.

Out with the old....

In with the new.

All better.

Fixed.

Today I made a start with the exercise, and to be honest, it left me hurting a bit, but thats all good.
This time last year I was walking 4 times this distance 4-5 times a week.

Weather was good.

Result.

Here in England, Monday is a public holiday, and in a very rare occurrence, Sally is off on Monday as well.

Plans include a BBQ with friends, and maybe processing some of the wood I rescued. Removing screws and nails.

Oh, and Rum and Pepsi Max tonight fr me, and a glass of sleep inducing wine for Sally.
Old 05-02-2021, 02:10 PM   #1148
Grizz1963

So Saturday we went to mate Kevin’s for a late lunch at his new home in a small village with some more good friends.

Of course we parked on the road side across from the “village green” and later, I needed to walk a bit, as my back was kicking off.

And found my car confronted by this...........

Prick was my first thought.

Village life, meant someone felt my taxed, legal vehicle should not park on a public road, outside their home.

Why ?’

Just what does this prove, other than that you are a prize sized cock.

My first Bootfair of the year was good.

Spent a total of £31.00 of which £17.00 was for thee kingsize and double bed sheets that were £11.00 vs £39.00 RRP and two Kids T-shirts with colouring pens that wash out for £6.00 for the pair.

Then some plants, 3 vintage toy racing cars for my cabinet. A large Yale lock with two keys for £2.00 a long chain for 50p to tie my trailer down at Uncle Bobs.

A flag flr 50p , a mug for 20p, Harry Pothead luggage tag for 20p some Bayliss and Harding bubble for the main bathroom , and two teapots to be converted into Blue Tit houses for 20p and 50p

Maybe my favourite, was an unused pair of Halcyon bike rider aviator style goggles for £3.00 (go check out what they actually cost)

Old 05-02-2021, 05:48 PM   #1149
LT7A

Good walk. St Mary who? Glad to hear you and MD worked out a plan for your back. Unfortunately, it can work its way into being a weak link for those of us who play with heavy toys. I've had to work up an exercise plan for myself. I have decided to trade intensity for consistency. It doesn't really matter what I do, just that I do something almost every day.It is amazing and almost alarming how quickly you start to feel better and stronger. Each week I can tell a difference. Good luck to you, keep us posted.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:34 PM   #1150
Grizz1963

Quote:
Good walk. St Mary who? Glad to hear you and MD worked out a plan for your back. Unfortunately, it can work its way into being a weak link for those of us who play with heavy toys. I've had to work up an exercise plan for myself. I have decided to trade intensity for consistency. It doesn't really matter what I do, just that I do something almost every day.It is amazing and almost alarming how quickly you start to feel better and stronger. Each week I can tell a difference. Good luck to you, keep us posted.
St Mary Hoo.

A Hoo is a spit of land between two water masses.

Consistently doing smaller tasks still deliver results.

A while ago I collected a set of Golf wheels and good tyres for mate Craig in Leatherhead.

Due to lockdown etc it was a while before he could collect.

So he brought me a load of GMC Sonoma parts, mostly interchangeable with the S10

Plastics, trim parts etc.

Lights, speedo, switchgear etc.

Also included were a few bits for @Pauly to add to the V8 inventory at his place.

Once unloaded, we loaded a fridge and the wheels into the ML for his Mk1 Gold Cabriolet build.

After Craig and his daughter left, Sally and I carried on with more tasks.

She also challenged whether I had enough wood yet.

My kinda girl, priorities .