The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #126
67-72trucks

Re: Ice cream getter

Nice!! Who made your motor mounts and cross member? I need a set made.
67-72trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #127
SONOSADSACK

69-72trucks
They were built around the motor in the truck. Take a look at the “1972 Highlander 6.0/4L80E/LoMax” build thread. He used a prefab mount setup from DIY that required minimal alterations. Good write with good pics too.
http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?rout...&product_id=80
SONOSADSACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #128
Low Elco

Well? Any progress? Ice cream season's a-comin!
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #129
SONOSADSACK

A little…. Tub back off. Motor, transmission and transfer case are together and in. Tub back on. I also stripped all three seats and had the frames, mounts and all hardware sand blasted and powder coated along with the brake pedal assembly and a hand full of other small items. The seat frames and new foam buns are all now at the upholstery shop and will hopefully be home within the next couple of weeks. I started installing a new wire harness and some of this under dash, glued on the firewall, fits like crap but will look OK once the truck is fully together and don’t notice it anyway, cardboard stuff. The ash tray I ended up using was the nicest I had but the inside was very pitted after sand blasting. With nothing to lose I decided to try to a few different finishes to try and hide the pit ugliness. After trying black wrinkle finish, black chip guard, and then silver hammered finish I tried trunk spatter with light green fleck. Looks odd in the picture but I like my new little trunk.

I also drug yEloise home from her winter sleep
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #130
jaros44sr

Ty, very nice work...you wont notice that carboard since your eye will be drawn to all the other nice looking parts

One of my fav. engines to look at, can you take a closer pic, when you get a chance. I need a new wallpaper for my tablet

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #131
SONOSADSACK

jaros44sr, as soon as it’s all together I'll snap a picture.

Update time. I am swapping out my old standard column with a tilt unit I purchased with a bunch of miscellaneous parts. It was tight but otherwise in pretty cruddy condition. So… I stripped it down, replaced anything that may have been broken, repacked the bearings and made it all pretty again.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #132
SONOSADSACK

I also picked up a new wheel. I tend to prefer understated or plain as opposed to flashy. Needless to say I will be de-chroming the adapter and the back side of the wheel itself.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #133
SONOSADSACK

I also took three broken heater controls and made one good one. I believe these are made of pot metal and are nice and brittle when trying to take them apart. Mine all had broken arms in them so to limit the amount of damage I may have added, I just ground the top off of the boss at the top of the unit and drove the axle out from the bottom. It’s a splined shaft and remains tight after it’s been reinstalled. Not disrupting the mushroomed material on the keeper plate on the bottom side keeps the unit nice and tight.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #134
jaros44sr

Tilt came out nice, how long did it take you to reassemble. Seemed like it took me forever lol. I made the mistake of taking apart, and letting it sit for two years, thank goodness for the service manual

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 06-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #135
SONOSADSACK

Just some random in process pictures.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #136
SONOSADSACK

My father’s day request was to have a day in the garage. I know not very fatherly asking for alone time but hey!
So... I finished installing the column and steering box.
Also, something I wasn’t too sure about doing… I sprayed bed liner on the underside of all four inner fenders. I ended up liking it. I didn’t like spraying the stuff.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #137
Bomp

Came out really slick
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #138
JJH Jimmy

Looking great! I am getting ready to tear into my steering column as well. What type of spray in liner did you use?
2021 GMC 2500HD Duramax AT4

My "It's a Jimmy Thing" Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=583528
Budget Build 1985 K20
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=801565
JJH Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #139
Low Elco

Purdy purdy! Comin right along!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #140
SONOSADSACK

Jaros44sr – It didn’t go too bad but I cheated. I had my laptop with me and referenced a few good sites from this here web. Mainly this one of course. I can relate to the level of difficulty time can add to reassembly though.

JJH Jimmy – good luck with the column. Kind of a pain in the butt. The spray in liner I used is a SEM product called Rock-it Liner. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnBjLzTyYi0) I have no idea how well it will hold up but I have had good luck with other SEM products in the past.

Low Elco – thanks, I’m looking forward to seeing some LBT action. Soon?

Bomp – I haven’t checked in on your progress in a while. WOW! Nice, very nice. BTW after reading some of your work last night I stood up from the couch and bam! Doc says I have a stretched tendon in my foot which is allowing the bones to separate from one another and pop out of joint. Short story is I’m off my feet for a week and if the tendon doesn’t shrink I’ll need to be carved up a bit. I seriously had a vision of me hopping around on a peg in my garage flash through my head when it happened.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #141
Low Elco

There are some things in the hopper, but I'm not at liberty to say just yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #142
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONOSADSACK View Post
Jaros44sr – It didn’t go too bad but I cheated. I had my laptop with me and referenced a few good sites from this here web. Mainly this one of course. I can relate to the level of difficulty time can add to reassembly though.

JJH Jimmy – good luck with the column. Kind of a pain in the butt. The spray in liner I used is a SEM product called Rock-it Liner. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnBjLzTyYi0) I have no idea how well it will hold up but I have had good luck with other SEM products in the past.

Low Elco – thanks, I’m looking forward to seeing some LBT action. Soon?

Bomp – I haven’t checked in on your progress in a while. WOW! Nice, very nice. BTW after reading some of your work last night I stood up from the couch and bam! Doc says I have a stretched tendon in my foot which is allowing the bones to separate from one another and pop out of joint. Short story is I’m off my feet for a week and if the tendon doesn’t shrink I’ll need to be carved up a bit. I seriously had a vision of me hopping around on a peg in my garage flash through my head when it happened.
That one plate that had to be just right around the shift tube was really a PIA, cant believe it fit...i was tempted to file it down alittle

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 06-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #143
SONOSADSACK

Definitely the most difficult piece in the reassembly. Especially without scratching anything.
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #144
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONOSADSACK View Post
Definitely the most difficult piece in the reassembly. Especially without scratching anything.
Yep, thats the one that came to mind....couldnt find my service manual fast enough to get the name of the part. There is only one way that part will fit in there, even the curvature of the part is there for a reason. I fiddled with that piece for hours

I mounted the column in the truck and assembled from there

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 06-20-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #145
SONOSADSACK

I’ve been keeping up with other builds including; jaros44sr, hgs_notes, JJH Jimmy and others but not much progress to show on my own for the past two months…

At least the upholstery shop was able to get something done. I kinda had to drop one in just to see. I am looking forward to assembling the brackets to the seats and putting the rear together again also but I’m not ready for the seats to be in the garage and in the way yet.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #146
SONOSADSACK

And this past weekend I stripped and painted two consoles. Neither will be perfect but should make very nice driver quality pieces.

I also picked up a nice top from forum member CRV and a little distraction of the vehicular kind. It was a good summer!

But, now that summer is basically over I need to renew my interest in my Blazer and get to working on it again.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2013, 11:41 PM   #147
jaros44sr

Seats look great, are they oem? I think those look good in your truck. I have horror stories of when i had my seats done...

Whats the plans for the Camaro, stock, modified, or something else

What stripper did you use on the console....

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 09-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #148
mtully79

She is looking good! I like the SEM liner in the wheel wells, wanted to do that myself so thanks for the product shout out. What electric fan setup did you use? My truck wants to overheat when sitting in beach traffic.
mtully79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #149
Low Elco

All looks good! Slap that sucker together!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #150
SONOSADSACK

jaros44sr
“Seats look great, are they OEM?”
Yes, they are the original three seats out of the Blazer. They took FOREVER to get back from the upholsterer but I am very happy with them. I’ll post more pictures of them once they are ready to be installed.
“What stripper did you use on the console?”
I think her name was Kandi. JK! I don’t know anything about that!! I actually only had to strip one and only because someone had already changed color once. I used soapy water, a red scotch brite pad and lots of elbow grease.
“What’s the plans for the Camaro, stock, modified, or something else?”
Not sure. It’s so original I really would have a hard time modifying anything in a way that couldn’t easily be put back to stock. Maybe old school big block and four speed? Then again… I like an LS turbo six speed package too! Time will tell. Blazer first though or I may be living in the Camaro.

mtully79
“She is looking good!”
Thanks
“I like the SEM liner in the wheel wells, wanted to do that myself so thanks for the product shout out.”
I better be able to tell you next summer how well it holds up but until then I can only say it’s nice to look at.
“What electric fan setup did you use?”
Entropy. Again, I can’t say how well they work but as far as the construction goes, they seem to be built well.
“My truck wants to overheat when sitting in beach traffic.”
Virginia Beach? I spent many weekends there in the early 80s as a young teen. I’ll bet things have changed a bit since? I lived in Chesapeake as my stepdad was in the Navy at the time. I was just another transplant in the area. Now you got the memories going!

Low Elco
“All looks good! Slap that sucker together!”
I’m a slappin! Spring will be here before I know it. HMMM, I think I said that before too!