The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #1
HalfCaseKustoms

1971 SWB Fleetside 6.0/4L80E

I have been lurking here for months. I think it's about time to share what I have been up to.
I picked up this truck in July, just as you see it here. A running/driving bone stock 350/3 on the tree. The truck has its flaws, and the guy cut some corners i am finding out, but I am building it to be a driver. I bought it with the soul intention to do this swap and I have been collecting parts ever since.
This is what I have got so far and where I am at in the project.
-2003 6.0 with 130k out of an Express 2500
-stock 4L80e out of the same donor
-stock harness and computer
-stock altinator and power steering pu,p
-doug thorley headers
-cpp sheet metal mounts
-dirty dingo sliders
-cPP TH400 crossmember
-cpp tilt auto steering column
-cpp auto shifter linkage
-summit alum radiator with same side correct diamete inlet and outlet
-tranny cooler
-electric fans from a dodge something or other
-89 wrangler 15 gal fuel tank
-87 blazer sending unit
-walbro 255 in tank pump
-2.5' 409 stainless exhaust builders kit
-2 flowmaster stainless mufflers

I started by cleaning up my junk yard motor and about a month ago with the help of a friend we pulled the old **** out. I didnt get to really touch it again until last week. engine and tranny went it smooth as butter. The cross member lined up with existing holes in the frame. The headers fit perfectly, steering column is all in, and linkage connected. We welded a couple tabs to the radiator and used the existing mounting hardware and spliced some radiator houses we had kicking around to work for now until we can find a cleaner solution.
I had to take out that little wimpy crossmember in the back and used some aluminum angle iron to support the edge of the wrangler tank. We also had to notch the support on the bottom of the bed for the tank to fit snug. fuel lines are run but the fuel system cant be finalized until I figure out what I am going to do about a tank filler. the jeep filler neck off the tank is directly next to the bed mount and going to make for an interesting challenge. I will get more updated pictures when I get back to the shop this week.
We have started weeding out the stock harness ourselves and will be lengthening and shortening wires as needed to route the harness as clean as possible. I have another local shop here that can do the tuning once its all done.

HalfCaseKustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
KMC3420

Re: 1971 SWB Fleetside 6.0/4L80E

Nice swap. Looks like you have made some great progress as of late. I cant tell very well from the pictures, but could you move the engine mounts back to the V6 position and get it closer to the firewall? Reason I ask is I have the CPP sheetmetal perches and the dirty dingo sliders as well, just curious if you could put it in the V6 position?
Old 12-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
HalfCaseKustoms

Re: 1971 SWB Fleetside 6.0/4L80E

it sits about 2 inches from the firewall. any closer and not only would it make it tricky to drill for the tranny crossmember but it would have been harder to run the fuel lines and shift linkage
HalfCaseKustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: 1971 SWB Fleetside 6.0/4L80E

I had the same setup installed in my 71.You are going to love it. Mine had 289 RWHP on the dyno. 304 lbs of torque.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote