The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
Nitis

72 K10 Parts list and budget for my pending swap come first of the year

So I am getting some logistics worked out on how I can make this all ahppen both physically and financially. Now save the incidentals I am looking for what major things I am missing from my list as well as input on maybe a better less expensive option or way to acquire the item.

This is for my 72 K10 longbed adapting to my TH 350

#1 LS engine obviously

#2 fuel tank I plan to use a 25 or 31 gallon square body blazer tank 87-91 Again I am open to suggestion
Tank and straps about $200 from summit or whomever
sending unit about $100 any specific part # best?
fuel pump $150 walbro255?
fuel lines $?

#3 Crossmember and mounts Dirty Dingo $400

#4 Trans bolts spacer etc $50-$60

#5 Cooling looking for suggestions radiator and fans

#6 lift kit $1000 I want a 2" softride of some sort and want to replace all four leaf packs its 42 years old it needs it

Again I knows there will be stuff done on the fly like hooking up power steering deleting the AC comp. Many things will be done on the fly but want to get the major things figured out.

I didnt price engine cause I am not sure exactly which way I am going but I am thinking of buying one already setup for a 3 wire connection so that will cost a little more but save me some frustration and time. And I can darn near buy one already to go and have it shipped to me for what the wrecking yards are asking for their dropouts
Nitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #2
HemiChallenger71

Re: 72 K10 Parts list and budget for my pending swap come first of the year

Your keeping the th-350 and transfer case so you can keep the passenger side drop?

Are you keeping the factory tq converter?

Use your existing radiator and modify factory ls hoses. Tap the water pump for the steam hose off the heads.
I'd go e-fan as its easier to make work, but I'd guess the factory SBC fan shroud with light mods would work with a factory ls clutch fan.

The power steering should be pretty straight forward and a factory truck pump should work just fine. 1 custom hose, which should be easy for a local napa to make. Hydraboost would be easy as well, pirate one off a van from a junkyard.

Any ls you cant go wrong. A 5.3 or 6.0 would be ideal but the 4.8's do better than I expected tq wise. Im not following what you mean by 3 wire hook up. You can buy a harness and computer ready to run with power, ground and switched power?
HemiChallenger71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:59 PM   #3
Nitis

Mainly keeping the trans because it's basically brand new and in all honesty 95% of the driving it will see it would never be put in overdrive anyway

I was thinking electric fans would be more simple

That's basically what in looking at is a dropout motor that someone already set up. So I think it's ground power switch and maybe one to the fuel pump. So maybe it's 4. Either way I don't have to touch it
Old 12-11-2014, 12:03 AM   #4
HemiChallenger71

A carb and ignition controller would be stupid simple.

If FI is wanted, get a factory computer un-locked from just about anywhere for $100/150 and get a factory wiring harness and start reading: http://lt1swap.com/wiringharness.htm
Old 12-11-2014, 12:06 AM   #5
Nitis

IF was going to do a carb I would not go through the trouble of an LS because with the 4x4 I have to do the crossmember swap

I appreciate the info but Its just not worth the headache to me to have to worry about the wiring

Thanks
Old 12-11-2014, 12:12 AM   #6
HemiChallenger71

Stand alone harnesses can be purchased fairly cheap.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:19 AM   #7
Nitis

ok any suggestions?

I wouldnt know where to start?

And is it possible to really save that much money?

I am looking at spending about $1500 on the engine and that gets it shipped to my house ready to bolt in and hook up. I may top out around 1800 pending the mileage on the engine.

this is justifiable to me as a descent sbc crate motor is $2k and I want to relocate the fuel tank anyway

Yes I could hunt CL for one but then whats involved maybe having to pull it myself I dont want to invest time in that end of the project. I have a potential donor right now waiting for the lien to clear in an 03 tahoe but then I have to deal with pulling engine disposing of leftover parts or parting out and a place to keep it I just think buying one ready to go is best for me
Old 12-11-2014, 12:25 AM   #8
HemiChallenger71

IDK about where you live but complete 5.3's with computer and harness and all accessories goes for about $400-500 around my area.

Stand alone harnesses are around $5/600 I think. Type in standalone ls harness on google. I have zero recommendations for those. http://www.hotrodharness.com/fuel-in...harnesses.html
Old 12-11-2014, 12:38 AM   #9
Nitis

I'm in the sacramento area and the gig is up on LS motors here.

I was quoted 1850 for a complete drop out 5.3 by more than one yard and either indict know what the key word to search for on CL is or they just aren't on there I look daily with any key word I can think of
Old 12-11-2014, 12:39 AM   #10
Nitis

If I could get one for $500 this project probably would have been near completion by now
Old 12-11-2014, 12:43 AM   #11
HemiChallenger71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitis View Post
If I could get one for $500 this project probably would have been near completion by now
Vehicles rot out here, so parts like good engines and transmissions axles etc. are common and cheap. Add the snow and accidents and you see how things fall into place. I've often thought of purchasing stuff for investments.

I just purchased my donor (whole running truck) 2wd 4.8 5spd. wrecked for $800.

My buddy has a complete 2003 5.3 as stated above for sale for $500. Hasnt had any bites yet.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:51 AM   #12
Nitis

yeah that makes lots of sense for sure

So if I bought one for 1850 that puts me over $2k with tax and probably a core

much easier for me to pay $1500-$1800 shipped and Tax free from out of state plus this outfit offer a 6 month warranty and the local yards only give 30 days chances are everything is fine but all luck isnt good
Old 12-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #13
KEWLKATDADY

$1200 DONOR
http://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/4762409591.html

not mine, was just looking around on CL and found it.

After you strip this truck you can recoup most, if not all of your initial investment.

I just did it here in TX and I have $300 in a 6.0L/4l80e with harness, computer pedal and tac module.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #14
Nitis

Ok let's take this from another angle

I appreciate you all trying to help me source a less expensive engine so for sake of argument let's assume I have an engine already wired and ready to go that Santa left under the tree for me and try and get back on track to my list and if I am missing anything significant.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #15
MalibuSSwagon

lsx4u.com If you're looking for something ready to go, these guys are near me and offer a complete ready to run engine package.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #16
Nitis

They are one of the ones I'm looking at using
Old 12-16-2014, 10:36 PM   #17
Nitis

Anyone else care to chime in?
Old 12-23-2014, 03:39 AM   #18
NorCalAnthony

Nice to see another member close by. I live in Lincoln and work in South Sac. I'm in a similar boat and am gathering parts for my own 5.3/4l80e swap on my '89 K5.

#1 - I know what you mean about trying to find a decent price on a good engine in our area. I gave up on our local wrecking yards after seeing their prices and started scanning CL. After a couple months I eventually found a wrecked Yukon that I was able to pick up complete for $1200. I'm hoping to strip what I need for my swap and sell off the rest to recoup some of the costs. If you go that route you'll need a place to store the donor while you strip what you need (my wife is more than ready to get mine out of the driveway lol). If you can find one that has already been modified for 3 wire hookup and get it delivered for $1600 that might not be a bad way to go. Just depends on what your budget is and where you'd rather spend the money.

#2 - You're on the right track as far as the tank and sending unit goes. You'll want a TBI tank since it has the baffling at the bottom to prevent the pump from starving when the tank gets low and starts sloshing around. You can get everything pretty cheap from rockauto.
Sending Unit: https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...336&cc=1061536
Tank: https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...023&cc=1061536
Pump: I'm pretty sure the Walbro 255 will work but I've also seen a lot of people use the AC Delco EP381 that is a direct fit to the 87-91 Blazer sending unit.
Lines: Depending on the condition of your stock steel fuel lines you may be able to just run short pieces of line from from fuel rail to steel line to sending unit.
If you want to go the cheap route you can use nylon lines like the newer GM vehicles and connect to the steel with some Dorman compression fittings like these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-800-135/overview/
If you want to go the fancier route you can use braided line with AN fittings like these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ea...6erl/overview/

#3 - Don't know much about cross members for your year truck but I've seen several people over on CK5 rave about the DIY4X crossmember and their engine mounts. They're pretty stout pieces...
For engine mounts there are a ton of options depending on your budget and how beefy or fancy you want them to be. Most $40-80+ adapters still require you to use the clamshell style mounts so if you go that route you'll need to pick up replacements for those as well since the rubber will most likely be shot and everything will be taken apart anyways. I'm personally using the TNA LS adapter mounts that are made from 1/4" and 3/8" plate steel with new poly bushings. I've seen too many people complain about Dirty Dingo's quality and customer service to ever buy anything from them...

#4 - Can't really help you there since I'm planning on using a newer trans with mine.

#5 - You can spend $$$ on a custom aluminum LS swap radiator but I've seen too many people do just fine using their stock radiator with the LS hoses. Ford Windstar fans are really popular for the square body guys and are what I plan on using. Your computer will be able to run just about any kind of fan you want, just do some measuring and see what'll fit.

#6 - If you're going with off the shelf springs, I'd stick with Tough Country EZ rides since there are a ton of happy customers and are usually the first recommendation I've always gotten. I've seen too many people complaining about the harsh ride from the Rough Country and Skyjacker lift springs. If you have the extra money, call ORD and have them special make you a set of Alcan springs. They use a higher quantity of thinner leafs that give a better/softer ride than any of the off the shelf springs and can be made in any length, axle offset, and load rating that you can think of.

Good luck with your project dude. Feel free to ask more questions, lots of knowledgeable people on here willing to help others out.
NorCalAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #19
Nitis

Thanks NCA! That's the response I've been after!! Do you have anyone to help with programming/ tuning that is local?
Old 12-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #20
NorCalAnthony

I was originally going to just ship my PCM to Brendan at lt1swap like a lot of other people have done and he only charges $75 including the return shipping. There are a few other places like Black Bear Tune that will send you a a cable and hardware to data log your PCM and build a custom tune specific for your truck for $330 plus a deposit on the cable and hardware ($250 for Gen III or $400 for Gen IV). There are TONS of different mail in tunes available it just depends on what your budget is and how many mods you want to do. Keep in mind though that most places that sell "turn key" engine packages like you were considering will usually have the PCM's already flashed and ready to go. Depending on where you get your engine from, some will be a basic tune with the VATS and emissions stuff removed while others may be able to do a performance tune for you.

The only local option that I know of is Mark Romans. I just heard about him in the Western Members section of ls1tech and apparently he actually comes out to your house and will drive around with you with his laptop hooked up to the OBD II port and a wide band O2 sensor in the exhaust. Doing it that way he can adjust everything from fuel trims to transmission shift points and firmness and really dial it to suit your specific needs and driving habits. I'm not sure on what he charges since I'm still a couple months out from starting my swap as well but he came highly recommended from some of the guys at ls1tech that are in the Sacramento area. If you want to give him a call his number is 916-770-0475.
NorCalAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #21
Nitis

Thanks for his contact infor I've been thinking of getting our 03 yukon tuned so that will help a lot.