The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #451
68anthony

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Test fitting all the new sheet metal parts.

check out my build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=606231
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #452
Mr Handy

This weekend included disk brake swap, 3.5"x5" drop with spindles shocks springs, supper track bar, shock relocates, drop sway bar brackets, all new grade 8 hardware, and a tube of anti seize!
Old 03-31-2014, 12:36 PM   #453
jmorri34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad View Post
I made a commitment...now I'm in it til the end,or else I won't be driving a truck! Lol. Pulled all wire today and started the new classic update rewire from american auto wire. Honestly, doesn't appear to be to ardious,at least so far.. actually had enough time to get fuse block mounted! Day two tommorow.
I just got done with mine, Its not to bad and the instructions are very good. Just resist the urge to cut any corners on crimping and soldering and work slow and it will come out awesome. Tech service with AAW is awesome as well. very helpful if you get in a jam.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=568661
Old 03-31-2014, 12:44 PM   #454
74baggedbug

Broke a rocker stud.. Gotta take the heads to the machine shop so they can remove the press in studs and go screw in style
Old 03-31-2014, 12:47 PM   #455
Motoxrrar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74baggedbug View Post

Broke a rocker stud.. Gotta take the heads to the machine shop so they can remove the press in studs and go screw in style
Have them pin the studs. I have had all my small block head pinned and never had a problem with the valve adjustment afterward.
I recommend this over screw ins
Old 03-31-2014, 02:04 PM   #456
74baggedbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxrrar View Post
Have them pin the studs. I have had all my small block head pinned and never had a problem with the valve adjustment afterward.
I recommend this over screw ins
Had the heads pinned to avoid them being pulled from the cam we installed (.513 lift) but the stud snapped...
Old 03-31-2014, 02:16 PM   #457
Motoxrrar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74baggedbug View Post
Had the heads pinned to avoid them being pulled from the cam we installed (.513 lift) but the stud snapped...
Bet that was an aweful sound ...
Old 03-31-2014, 03:22 PM   #458
74baggedbug

Wasn't to bad.. When it happened it just started running like crap and a bad misfire ..
Old 04-01-2014, 07:32 AM   #459
74baggedbug

Old 04-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #460
adricar1

well i am cutting out my cab floor and fitting new rockers, From what the previous owner said this was a rock solid motor umhh. also yesterday front bottom ball joint, 3/4 play in the wheel totally shot.
Well the suns shining so all is well.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #461
VWNate1

Post Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

I visited my poor old C/10 Stepper in the paint jail to - day to see why I don't have any estimate yet , it turns out his " mechanic " *vanished* with a *very* expen$ive Oldsmobile and he's been trying to chase the jerk down with a tow truck and get it back .

This guy was working for my paint guy for over 10 year without any mishaps and now this .

Why I told him no worky on my truck anywhere but his shop and no touchee until I have a well written estimate that includes a time line for progress .

If this isn't sorted out soon , I have another shop to take it too , what a PIA to get a trailer & load the cab back up again but I need my truck for work danigt .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
Old 04-01-2014, 10:33 PM   #462
VWNate1

Post Re: " Rock Solid "

What he meant was ' it's all one solid lump , not solid like a rock ' .

At least it's dead simple and dirt cheap to fix no matter what's wrong with it .

-Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by adricar1 View Post
well i am cutting out my cab floor and fitting new rockers, From what the previous owner said this was a rock solid motor umhh. also yesterday front bottom ball joint, 3/4 play in the wheel totally shot.
Well the suns shining so all is well.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #463
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
I visited my poor old C/10 Stepper in the paint jail to - day to see why I don't have any estimate yet , it turns out his " mechanic " *vanished* with a *very* expen$ive Oldsmobile and he's been trying to chase the jerk down with a tow truck and get it back .

As it goes in paint jail, my experience suggests that, "the first excuse is free."

My p.j. history will have to go unreported for th lack of 381gb of required space.
I hope you prove mine to be the exception.
But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 04-02-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:24 PM   #464
slowcpe

Work and Spring Break has kept me from making any headway. I did last night start on restoring the steering wheel. All the cracks are opened up and ready to be filled in.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
Old 04-02-2014, 12:26 AM   #465
texjake

I installed my new Grant steering wheel today. And the horn works perfect with no problems! And lots more room for me to be getting in and out of the truck now.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2014, 02:28 AM   #466
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post

This guy was working for my paint guy for over 10 year without any mishaps and now this .

Why I told him no worky on my truck anywhere but his shop and no touchee until I have a well written estimate that includes a time line for progress .

If this isn't sorted out soon , I have another shop to take it too , what a PIA to get a trailer & load the cab back up again but I need my truck for work danigt .
Long time employee suddenly goes bonkers? Can we say "drug problem?" That's my guess.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:34 AM   #467
In The Ten Ring

I finished up the buy of some hubcaps I plan to hold in reserve in case I lose any of mine (assuming I can find mine as my dad thinks he saved those up in his attic somewhere.

I REALLY want to get my truck running soon as I am tired of needing a truck but then having to wait until I can borrow my dad's.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:47 AM   #468
Mike_The_Grad

Day two in the books. Although it looks similar to my previous post, I have all wires grouped as to where they are located. It all started coming together after I read through practically all instruction sheets. Something I was trying to avoid because each bag contains all connectors pertaining to each sub-kit. Lots of loose pieces to keep track of. But luckily I had my buddy to help me with my organizing skills. So far most of interior and rear harness have been run. Waiting on the engine and front light kits until I hang fenders and core support, so I can figure out routing paths. Also probly gonna go ahead and repaint dash while i have everything out. Anybody know a good rattle can to use? Most likely gonna go with semi-gloss black but not dead set on it.
Attached Images

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Old 04-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #469
VWNate1

Post Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
As it goes in paint jail, my experience suggests that, "the first excuse is free."

My p.j. history will have to go unreported for the lack of 381gb of required space.
I hope you prove mine to be the exception.
That's pretty much what I told him .

The missing Olds is worth close to $40,000.00 .

I've seen this happen time after time and it's almost always drugs .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
Old 04-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #470
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad View Post
Day two in the books. ...snip... Also probly gonna go ahead and repaint dash while i have everything out. Anybody know a good rattle can to use? Most likely gonna go with semi-gloss black but not dead set on it.
Mike_The_Grad,

I'm a rattle-can cheerleader. But not for the dash, or any other place that the paint gets elbows, keys, dog lips or paws, greasy fingers from anybody, etc.

It seems that dashboards and doors need a good hardening paint to look decent for any amount of time. Rattle can jobs can and do look great. But, in my vehicles,
have never lasted very long.

Of course, the best way to paint inside the cab is with a gun and paint and with the same paint you do the whole interior color...Most of the time, for the interior
sheet metal, that's the same color as the outside.

But, everybody's truck is (thankfully) different. My set up was that I didn't yet have the paint gun, and I was using the same color and paint under the hood and
inside the cab. Not saying my job was equal to some of the ones a lot of these guys have done...Or have had done.

But, after I sanded and primed it, I got a gallon of Kirker Ultraglow acrylic urethane one stage paint (not the best paint...but the price was right...and it wasn't REALLY BAD paint),
waited for the right combo of temp and humidity, and then mixed up a big enough batch to do the whole inside.
Then, I used one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/lapukjv

I bought six or more of 'em so I wouldn't be hung out to dry mid-paint. I did mine *before* I had the dash pad on and steering wheel in, and glove box on, etc.
And before I'd wired it up.

I did the fire wall with the Prevals, but I did the inside of the doors and the rest of the engine bay and inside of the fenders with a gun while they were off.

I tried to find a closer pic, but couldn't. Here's what it looked like at about the stage you are now (but after the paint):
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 04-02-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #471
RustyBucket

Last evening I turned my CPP rear short shocks over... I'd installed them upside down.. BIG IMPROVEMENT, drives like it has shock absorbers now. I'd put 'em on a month or so ago on my '71 GMC when I installed 4" drop springs & 1" lowering block. Looked at a picture from somebody's build thread and put 'em on upside down just like they did.. MONKEY SEE, MONKEY DO. I was SO inspired by the improvement I took my front coils out and cut 1 coil off. Moderate P.I.T.A., didn't skin myself up too bad and I'm finally pleased with the stance.
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #472
Mike_The_Grad

@magwakeenercew2jh Thanx for the heads up. This wiring I'm doing is because my old engine/light wiring was shot.I had wrecked my truck almost ten years ago.when that happened a lot of wires were severed. Which was not a big problem, since I could always splice. But it sat for so long without a hood. All the wires turned brittle and corrosion set in. I was only going to replace the harnesses for the front half of the truck,but when I started shopping for them they cost nearly as much as a complete rewire.so me having time off of work and my nice tax return in hand, began my own partial rebuild of what could be had in my driveway/garage. My intentions are to return it to road worthy for the time being. But I agree with what you said about interior paint. I do notice that there is far more traffic inside my vehicle than the outside...if that makes sense. And the paint inside now is the same as the outside. So it does make sense to apply something that will stand the test of time.thank you for your input. Also another thing l love about these trucks compared to trucks nowadays, there's more metal than plastic in the whole thing! Lol. Also inside of yours looks great, someday mine will also.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad

Last edited by Mike_The_Grad; 04-02-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: add more info.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #473
veedubshafer
Account Suspended

What did I do to my truck today? I drove it for the first time ever!!! Made all the work and money since November worth it.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #474
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubshafer View Post
What did I do to my truck today? I drove it for the first time ever!!! Made all the work and money since November worth it.

But always a rat.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #475
Econman

Pics????
Closed Thread